Been there done it all

As a new guy I was asked to get a 1/4" left handed drill bit on my first day on the job building radio and television production trucks.

The joke went bad when I pulled a small set out of my box and asked "why do you need these ?"

277225545_5266501143414578_3875997167468659198_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Somewhere I have a couple such drill bits! They sometimes work great for removing broken bolts out of blind threaded holes. Between the heat generated, the vibration, and the reverse direction, quite often a broken bolt being drilled that way will simply spin its way out of the hole. I got graduated sizes so I could drill a small hole first, then step up a couple times to larger sizes, all turning in reverse.

Easy-outs usually try to expand the bolt as turning pressure is applied. Quite often that expansion just locks the bolt remains into the hole even tighter.

• Like 1

Not car related, but...the veteran head registered nurse at our clinic would often send a newly hired (non-degree) nursing assistant to the storeroom for Fallopian tubes. Since this happened more than once, the rest of the staff would play along and the poor newbie would be directed to offices and departments throughout the building until someone set them wise or they returned to the head nurse in frustration (and sometimes in tears).

On 4/5/2022 at 1:13 PM, rocketraider said:

I won't even tell you some of the pranks powerplant folks did to new hires. Looking back, suffice to say some of it was borderline abuse and cruelty. I took and, regretfully now, gave.

Certain areas of electronics like RF (Radio Frequency) and specialty power systems are the same way. I worked around that stuff most of my life. And, I know electrical power better than most people do. I have a pretty good idea of what levels of power can hurt one? Or even KILL! And what might bite, but is actually harmless. I have been shocked so many times, in so many ways, that I hardly even react as long as I know the levels are safe.

I have actually checked automotive ignition by touching the top of spark plugs while the engine is running! Bull sessions in parking lots have brought that up several times, and I will do it just to prove that I will do so!

So I often turn the joke around on the jokers. Someone will tell me to "touch this" and I knowing what it is will grab it before they can stop me!

Every rule has exceptions. If you rely on a pacemaker to keep you alive? DO NOT play such games. Some things I am willing to touch can cause a pacemaker to fail instantly.

And a silly observation. People like me? People that have spent a lot of time around RF and specialized power systems? Used to often spot one another in crowds by their walking around with one hand in a pocket. If you are often at risk of touching potentially dangerous voltages? You don't want the current to go straight across your chest to the other hand leaning on something grounded. Better to discharge through your side or your feet, or even some part of your arm before the current can reach your chest. Keeping one hand in a pocket is a habit one learns quickly when working in certain environments.

Of course there are other reasons to keep a hand in one's pocket. But it is funny how often as an outside contractor going into a facility, I have had people there look at me and comment about "I can see you have been around power systems enough, one hand is in your pocket!"

The RF crowd is especially fun! The favorite prank pulled thousands of times is to chat about stray RF accumulating on objects and in people (that actually does happen, and can result in static charges, but the levels are basically never dangerous). Once one has become acclimated (the story goes), it is safe, but until that time, precautions must be taken. One must carry a grounding chain that drags upon the floor for safety. Of course the only extra chain available is a bit too short. So the outsider/newbie has to stoop over to drag the chain around. I grew up around this stuff, so the prank never worked on me. But I have seen it pulled on others a couple times.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 3:52 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Certain areas of electronics like RF (Radio Frequency) and specialty power systems are the same way. I worked around that stuff most of my life. And, I know electrical power better than most people do. I have a pretty good idea of what levels of power can hurt one? Or even KILL! And what might bite, but is actually harmless. I have been shocked so many times, in so many ways, that I hardly even react as long as I know the levels are safe.

I have actually checked automotive ignition by touching the top of spark plugs while the engine is running! Bull sessions in parking lots have brought that up several times, and I will do it just to prove that I will do so!

So I often turn the joke around on the jokers. Someone will tell me to "touch this" and I knowing what it is will grab it before they can stop me!

Every rule has exceptions. If you rely on a pacemaker to keep you alive? DO NOT play such games. Some things I am willing to touch can cause a pacemaker to fail instantly.

And a silly observation. People like me? People that have spent a lot of time around RF and specialized power systems? Used to often spot one another in crowds by their walking around with one hand in a pocket. If you are often at risk of touching potentially dangerous voltages? You don't want the current to go straight across your chest to the other hand leaning on something grounded. Better to discharge through your side or your feet, or even some part of your arm before the current can reach your chest. Keeping one hand in a pocket is a habit one learns quickly when working in certain environments.

Of course there are other reasons to keep a hand in one's pocket. But it is funny how often as an outside contractor going into a facility, I have had people there look at me and comment about "I can see you have been around power systems enough, one hand is in your pocket!"

The RF crowd is especially fun! The favorite prank pulled thousands of times is to chat about stray RF accumulating on objects and in people (that actually does happen, and can result in static charges, but the levels are basically never dangerous). Once one has become acclimated (the story goes), it is safe, but until that time, precautions must be taken. One must carry a grounding chain that drags upon the floor for safety. Of course the only extra chain available is a bit too short. So the outsider/newbie has to stoop over to drag the chain around. I grew up around this stuff, so the prank never worked on me. But I have seen it pulled on others a couple times.

I worked with a guy that could shoot a static electrical spark from his finger about an inch long!