For Sale: 1939 Hudson 112 2dr Coach - $15,000 - Bangor, ME - Not Mine

For Sale: 1939 Hudson 112 2dr Coach - $15,000 - Bangor, ME

1939 Hudson 112 Coupe Antique Car - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

A unique 1939 Hudson 112 Coupe that has been restored with 40,500 original miles. Offers a 6-cylinder automatic (three-speed manual) transmission.  Sweet car that has been in the family since 1971. $15,000 or best offer.
Copy and paste in your email: 64d0baf0234f39638ba2cee88b62e503@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1939 Hudson 112 2dr Coach.

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME a.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME b.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME c.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME d.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME e.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME f.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME g.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME h.jpg

'39 Hudson 112 Coupe ME i.jpg

I don't believe I have ever seen one of these. Notice the "idiot lights" for oil pressure and amps to either side of the radio delete plate. I wonder if this was the first car with warning lamps. I always thought of them as a fifties thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5219 said:

I don't believe I have ever seen one of these. Notice the "idiot lights" for oil pressure and amps to either side of the radio delete plate. I wonder if this was the first car with warning lamps. I always thought of them as a fifties thing.

If I recall correctly, Hudson got the 'bright idea' of "idiot lights" for oil pressure and amps in the mid-'30's, possibly the 1936 model year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

If I recall correctly, Hudson got the 'bright idea' of "idiot lights" for oil pressure and amps in the mid-'30's

Called them "Tele-flash".   It makes the voltage regulator unique because it needs a circuit for the light that nobody else used. 

On a splasher type engine, the oil light is probably no better or worse than having a pressure gauge. There isnt much flow going on anyway.

I will say one thing. A bright red light on the dash will get your attention in a critical situation long before you ever notice; a stationary needle in a amp gauge, a low voltage indication in a volt meter (talk about being too late) or a low oil pressure reading on a gauge. 

• Like 4

I more commenting on the placement.  You seem to be needing to look everywhere but where you're going.  I did not know this was a splasher engine. New to me. Did this just monitor the amount then ?  Yes, the red light for the average driver screams "check me" unless your the normal driver of today where the "check engine" light just means to pull over at your convenience when the rod knock gets too loud to be drowned out by the radio.   

20 something year old at the shop with a locked up motor.   " Well the add oil light never came on and since it was still running why check the engine, it's not broke"

5 hours ago, Fossil said:

That car's front end is so ugly in a "gotta have it" way. Can't ever recall seeing one before. 

Exactly!  I like the oddity of the car and it’s unique interior.  Does it really have a factory stock automatic transmission?

6 hours ago, Fossil said:

That car's front end is so ugly in a "gotta have it" way. Can't ever recall seeing one before. 

The 1938 and 1939 Hudson 112's were the lowest-priced series developed in hopes of tapping into the sales volume of the "Low-Price-Three" Chevrolet/Ford/Plymouth.  Always a company to mix and match parts and assemblies between Hudsons and Terraplanes for a purpose, the 112" wb was five inches shorter than the 117" wb Terraplane, taken out from the cowl forward.   The engine was de-stroked from 5" to 4.125", same 3" bore to yield 175 ci versus the 212 ci in other six-cylinder Hudsons and Terraplanes.  Of course, to further reduce unit cost, the simplified styling was shared with the Commercial line models.  Oddly enough, a '38 112 Standard convertible coupe was catalogued for $835; a '39 for $886.  If one didn't mind his new convertible looking suspiciously like a Commercial Line utility coach, pick-up or panel delivery...

• Like 1

If you ever owned or drove a 1937 Terraplane , you would be very disappointed in this cars performance.

They called them Jipper 6 when I was in the Hudson club in the 60's/70's

Not much love for them.

Nice car , probably better then many other Low Price cars of the era. Willys and Studebaker as example.

Is it the 174ci engine in this one?  Could you fit a bigger Hudson six in it?  I guess it would be ok around town, sort of like my 125cc 5hp Vespa.  Must have been a fuel economy bragging rights war in the low price field back then.

15 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Is it the 174ci engine in this one?  Could you fit a bigger Hudson six in it?  I guess it would be ok around town, sort of like my 125cc 5hp Vespa.  Must have been a fuel economy bragging rights war in the low price field back then.

Apparently since the 3" bore is the same as the 212 ci six, only de-stroked, the block length is the same. A Hudson man could give a definitive answer but I would surmise the 212 ci engines would interchange.   Small displacement engines in a car with the spaciousness of the upper series models with which it shared bodies was all about fuel economy in a five-six passenger family sedan for a low, low price.  What the buyer gave up was any semblance of performance: these are real 'flatlander' cars.

• Like 1

I like the looks of this car in every feature, and its simplicity. The headlights and grill are simple and stylish.

It's cool that it doesnt have a radio, that makes the dash more simple, and 99% of them dont work anyway and if they do, 99% of the programming is commercials.

• Like 1