back seat bracket question

Buickneem

For 1965 Rivi: Does anyone know where these are supposed to be installed? I had my rear seats reupholstered and frames powder coated, and I know these brackets came from somewhere in the rear seat area. Just can’t seem to remember exactly where.

bracket 1.jpeg

bracket 2.jpeg

Its been awhile since Ive been under there, but if I'm picturing it correctly those brackets mount on the framework behind the seat back. near the top on either side you will find the mounting holes. the brackets are situated with the arms pointing downward. corresponding brackets on the setback frame slip upward into them, then bolts go thru the loop brackets on the frame bottom into corresponding holes. If Im wrong on any details Im sure a smarter person, of which there are many, will respond.        Drew

Well, close but not exactly! Your photo will do the trick, though. As it clearly shows, the brackets actually attach to the seat frame & engage the framework behind the seat. I was picturing the other way round. So kudos to DrownedRiv!         BTW; if there's a good story behind your name we'd like to hear it, & is that a build sheet attached to that seat frame?

One of my BIGGEST fears living near the water. Thankfully my property is high.  IF the water gets that high I have another 8ft. higher property above the garage floor. IF the water gets that high all the towns around the area are under water & then we ALL have bigger problems to worry about.

The other big fear is FIRE that you have no control over.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)

IMG_20220326_170001355.jpg.e2c2f0df2ff758c73fc3cd80997cb53d.jpgIMG_20220326_170129444.jpg.a804ab561e79c4c736f07ee6c5836d06.jpgIMG_20220326_170135068.jpg.cb61217940cf3f8ffd1b2ae365e3e21f.jpgDO NOT laugh at the upholstery, that's what was in the car when I bought it.  But you can get the idea of where these brackets go and the orientation. The top picture is the left side; center and bottom pictures are of the right side.  There is nothing but the frame work on the body. I could not find any specific places for these to hook.

Of course Tom Mooney is correct again. This message was perfect timing for me as my seats were  ready to go in . Here’s a picture of where they go on the seat back and where they go under the frame edge (blue tape).

KReed

ROA 14549

B8EB9312-CA13-40A4-9C1E-DB5101C27368.jpeg

29D086A7-71B8-4C69-B7C8-23B138CEE26A.jpeg

Looks like whoever recovered my seats (previous owner) just picked a spot, drilled a couple of holes, and screwed them on.  I turned one of my downward facing brackets and put the screws back into the same holes.  I knew then that something wasn't right because the bracket stuck up above the height of the back of the cushion.  Now to search for holes as Ken showed in his post.  🙄

Ed

On 3/27/2022 at 11:50 PM, RivNut said:

Looks like whoever recovered my seats (previous owner) just picked a spot, drilled a couple of holes, and screwed them on.  I turned one of my downward facing brackets and put the screws back into the same holes.  I knew then that something wasn't right because the bracket stuck up above the height of the back of the cushion.  Now to search for holes as Ken showed in his post.  🙄

Ed

Didn’t bother searching through my Dynamat for the original holes - just drilled new ones at the correct height after screwing them up the first time by putting them too  high on the frame . if you look closely you can see my incorrect holes above the brackets . That’s the way I like to do things- one step forward and two back . ( can’t tell you how many times I have taken the door skins off trying to get my power windows adjusted ! 

15 minutes ago, kreed said:

Didn’t bother searching through my Dynamat for the original holes - just drilled new ones at the correct height after screwing them up the first time by putting them too  high on the frame . if you look closely you can see my incorrect holes above the brackets . That’s the way I like to do things- one step forward and two back . ( can’t tell you how many times I have taken the door skins off trying to get my power windows adjusted ! 

I went into the garage last night and pulled the hog rings off of the top of the left rear seat - didn’t find any holes anywhere.  I have a set of untouched seats from the 65 that I’ll take a look at sometime and see where they’re mounted.  I cannot find any traces of where they went up against the rear frame either.

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

I went into the garage last night and pulled the hog rings off of the top of the left rear seat - didn’t find any holes anywhere.  I have a set of untouched seats from the 65 that I’ll take a look at sometime and see where they’re mounted.  I cannot find any traces of where they went up against the rear frame either.

Ed,

Maybe you didn't find the original holes because your brackets were installed upside down utilizing the original holes?

Tom

37 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

Maybe you didn't find the original holes because your brackets were installed upside down utilizing the original holes?

Tom

I turned the brackets over and used the existing holes.  In the up position, the end of the bracket sticks up higher than the top of the seat.  That doesn’t look right.  Could be correct but until I actually try to fit the seat back back in place, I’ll not know for sure.  Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, RIVNIK said:

Im stuck inside from knee surgery & can't get to my body manual. It should have instructions & possibly an illustration showing the orientation of the brackets. anybody got one handy?

This is what is in the 1963 manual.

Bill

IMG_8537.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 8:15 AM, RIVNIK said:

that pretty much solves the mystery. except for what appears to be some type of protective cover slipped over the end of the "upper retainer". anyone come across one of these while disassembling their rear seat?

"protective cover slipped over the end of the "upper retainer"" may be a rubber anti-vibration boot. Dipping the bracket in some liquid rubber may simulate the original boot(?). 
My two cents worth, (which may only be worth .05 cents!)

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

On 4/3/2022 at 7:15 AM, RIVNIK said:

that pretty much solves the mystery. except for what appears to be some type of protective cover slipped over the end of the "upper retainer". anyone come across one of these while disassembling their rear seat?

It's been a long time,but I think mine (63) had a fabric like a cloth electrical tape.I would imagine for rattle reduction

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, kreed said:

Of course Tom Mooney is correct again. This message was perfect timing for me as my seats were  ready to go in . Here’s a picture of where they go on the seat back and where they go under the frame edge (blue tape).

KReed

ROA 14549

B8EB9312-CA13-40A4-9C1E-DB5101C27368.jpeg

29D086A7-71B8-4C69-B7C8-23B138CEE26A.jpeg

What’s the dynamat do?

Greetings to you & all our friends down under! Dynamat is the brand name of a specific product but has almost become a generic term for many brands of auto insulation. most consist of a layer of rubber or tar like insulation w a layer of thin aluminum backing on one side & a peel & stick layer of adhesive on the other. Main functions are for deadening sound, vibration, & heat, which 1st gen. Rivs are known to produce a lot of. Many use it on floors as the Riv's exhaust is in close proximity to your feet, but some go hod wild with the stuff, installing it on the roof, firewall, & inside the doors for sound deadening. Folks who have gone all the way claim their Rivs are much quieter.  It takes a lot of prep work to get it to adhere properly, but the Riv you're lookin at appears to have been prepped already.   good luck & we hope to hear more from you soon

On 4/15/2022 at 7:23 AM, RIVNIK said:

Greetings to you & all our friends down under! Dynamat is the brand name of a specific product but has almost become a generic term for many brands of auto insulation. most consist of a layer of rubber or tar like insulation w a layer of thin aluminum backing on one side & a peel & stick layer of adhesive on the other. Main functions are for deadening sound, vibration, & heat, which 1st gen. Rivs are known to produce a lot of. Many use it on floors as the Riv's exhaust is in close proximity to your feet, but some go hod wild with the stuff, installing it on the roof, firewall, & inside the doors for sound deadening. Folks who have gone all the way claim their Rivs are much quieter.  It takes a lot of prep work to get it to adhere properly, but the Riv you're lookin at appears to have been prepped already.   good luck & we hope to hear more from you soon

As mentioned I did everything I could with Dynamat - trunk , floors , roof , seat back, door panels , etc . Very happy I did it . As mentioned prep work is important . Adds some weight to the car but another 75 -80 lbs in this car is no big deal. 
KReed

ROA 14549@

LOL Weight = Horsepower. Housing insulation is a LOT LIGHTER & many times is free & as quiet, if not quieter, if you go to where they are remodeling/building homes.

Behind back seat between trunk , under back seat, rear side panels + 30pd.tarpaper, front side panels tarpaper, & roof. Just don't use it where it will get wet.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom T.

• Like 1