1935 Oldsmobile 8 Cylinder $15,000 - 42,000 miles - Not Mine (Scam Caution)

(2) Marketplace - 1935 Oldsmobile Oldsmobile 88 Sedan 4D | Facebook

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

About This Vehicle

Driven 42,000 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Beige
Fuel type: Gasoline
Clean title

This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Seller's Description

Antique Touring Sedan. This un-restored 1935 Oldsmobile is perhaps as original as any 87-year old car you will ever see. The straight eight enables this car to effortlessly cruise down the highway at 60 mph, and she provides comfort and rides nearly as smoothly as today’s cars. The rear window shade is not listed as an Olds option and must have been added by the apparently affluent owner of such a car in the Depression days. It's a real Bonnie and Clyde car with all four suicide doors (only year produced with all suicide doors)
  • Like 3

I said Scam caution because it seems a bit too good to be true.  What am I missing?  

It looks restored, not original.  Only $15,000?  1935 ?  Looks like the industry standard 1936 waterfall grille you see on everything from Dodges to Buicks but I could be wrong.  

I doubt anyone would really try to scam with this at 15 G.  I thinks it's just priced to sell,  but not a fire sale.  For example,  not much more buys you that really nice blue 37? Buick sedan listed on the forums.  How many people with 15 G in their pocket are looking to buy a 1935 Olds?   Buicks have a much larger following and that one still hasn't moved. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I doubt anyone would really try to scam with this at 15 G.  I thinks it's just priced to sell,  but not a fire sale.  For example,  not much more buys you that really nice blue 37? Buick sedan listed on the forums.  How many people with 15 G in their pocket are looking to buy a 1935 Olds?   Buicks have a much larger following and that one still hasn't moved. 

You make some good points.  It's just that since the Pandemic it seems everyone wants $25,000 or more for their admittedly nice pre war or even post war closed cars.  Then you offer $15,000 and get a boatload of vitrial from the seller.  

This seller goes for $15,000 from the start?   I hope it is legitimate because perhaps a younger guy or gal will buy it.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

You make some good points.  It's just that since the Pandemic it seems everyone wants $25,000 or more for their admittedly nice pre war or even post war closed cars.  Then you offer $15,000 and get a boatload of vitrial from the seller.  

This seller goes for $15,000 from the start?   I hope it is legitimate because perhaps a younger guy or gal will buy it.  

Typically this car would be advertised for 25k for 6 months and never sell.   Starting more in the ballpark is a more intelligent seller.   I'm still not sure it brings 15k but it is the 8 cylinder.

• Like 1

Great looking car and great price.

Unfortunately Bonnie & Clyde died in May of 1934 so a 1935 Olds is not "It's a real Bonnie and Clyde car" 

I know, a character flaw, but I have to nit pick. I am working on it.................

• Haha 1

There was an identical Olds for sale a few years ago that I really loved. I say identical, except it had side mounts. It sat on the market for a few weeks at $25000, but must have eventually found a buyer. I studied it quite a bit and came to realize that it had a very beautiful body. The front and rear suicide doors have a nice symmetry about them, but I decided that I simply admired it's well-proportioned curves. I particularly admire the subtle gentle arch of the door tops. This is essentially the same body that came out as the Cadillac La Salle a year earlier. The LaSalle had a much more narrow, "Cadillac" looking front end, including fenders, however. It contrasts quite a bit with the squarish body that Buick and Cadillac offered in '35. Don't get me wrong, in almost every case I would prefer the Buick or Cadillac. It's just that I think the '35 Olds is great looking by comparison.

1935 Buick 40 series:

1935 Buick Series 40

'35 Olds w/ side mounts:

File:Oldsmobile Special 4-Door Sedan 1935.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

4 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

I know, a character flaw, but I have to nit pick. I am working on it.................

That's okay.  My wife says that I suffer from "correctile dysfunction."  Unfortunately, she's right, but like you I'm trying to work on it. 😄

• Like 2

These 1935-'36 Oldsmobiles have the second and third versions of this body styling, to wit:

First:

The body styling started exclusively with the 1934 LaSalle which, because no other GM makes shared it that year, the bodies were produced in the Fleetwood Body plant to fill out the unused plant capacity.  With the flat windshield and all doors rear-hinged plus soft roof insert, it helped prevent LaSalle from becoming a Depression casualty.

Second:

For 1935. the bodies are now volume tooled and produced by Fisher Body Division, with V-windshield and the all-steel 'Turret-Top' albeit still wood-framed, sheet metal covered composite construction.  All doors are still rear hinged.  The basic shells are shared by Oldsmobile and LaSalle, possibly Pontiac Eights.

Third:

1936:  The Fisher bodies are now shared with Buick and Cadillac 60, as well as Oldsmobile and LaSalle, all have the front doors hinged at the cowl. 

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I hope that this is not a scam as I have set up a time to meet and purchase the vehicle from the owner.  I spoke with him and his wife, both seem very friendly and sincere.  I got a ton of pictures from them via email. They have owned for 10 yrs, The car is original as can be, best I can tell from pictures.  I hope it doesn't disappoint in person.  I love old cars and was looking for a pre-war Oldsmobile or Buick.  I have a soft spot for Oldsmobile's as I currently have 2-1972 models and love the one year only 4 suicide doors.  I am 37 yrs old and plan to have many memories made enjoying this car with my family.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bowtiebrad said:

I am 37 yrs old and plan to have many memories made enjoying this car with my family.

It's nice to see a "younger" car guy try to get into the prewar cars.  Good luck on your inspection, it sure does look like a life-long keeper.  Those engines were really a great design, and are long lasting and very smooth runners, 

That car should ride like a cloud, compared to any shorter/lighter mid 30s car.  I think it's a great choice for somebody that is going to drive it a lot.  Price is fine, just think of buying one for a few grand that needed restoration, you'd have years of work and many 10's of thousands of $ to get it close to this car. In that sense alone, the price seems...well,,, like a bargain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F&J said:

It's nice to see a "younger" car guy try to get into the prewar cars.  Good luck on your inspection, it sure does look like a life-long keeper.  Those engines were really a great design, and are long lasting and very smooth runners, 

That car should ride like a cloud, compared to any shorter/lighter mid 30s car.  I think it's a great choice for somebody that is going to drive it a lot.  Price is fine, just think of buying one for a few grand that needed restoration, you'd have years of work and many 10's of thousands of $ to get it close to this car. In that sense alone, the price seems...well,,, like a bargain

Yes I believe for the condition the price is fair.  Ive bought a cheaper car and did an amateur resto before and I ended up well over my targeted- max investment.  Ive learned that if it isnt sentimental to purchase driveable solid cars and enjoy them vs restoring.  I have a great appreciation for people who do restorations but found its not my thing, Im more of a preserver.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bowtiebrad said:

I hope that this is not a scam as I have set up a time to meet and purchase the vehicle from the owner.  I spoke with him and his wife, both seem very friendly and sincere.  I got a ton of pictures from them via email. They have owned for 10 yrs, The car is original as can be, best I can tell from pictures.  I hope it doesn't disappoint in person.  I love old cars and was looking for a pre-war Oldsmobile or Buick.  I have a soft spot for Oldsmobile's as I currently have 2-1972 models and love the one year only 4 suicide doors.  I am 37 yrs old and plan to have many memories made enjoying this car with my family.

Well I hope it works out for you. Did you find it here or were you already on it?   

The big deal for me is it’s an 8 cylinder car.  No offense to straight 6 Olds owners but I want the best if I’m going to buy an old car.  We see very few pre war 8 cylinder Oldsmobiles.  

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Well I hope it works out for you. Did you find it here or were you already on it?   

The big deal for me is it’s an 8 cylinder car.  No offense to straight 6 Olds owners but I want the best if I’m going to buy an old car.  We see very few pre war 8 cylinder Oldsmobiles.  

I saw it posted on Facebook Marketplace, I periodically check for 34-39 Olds/Buicks and last night I found it.  He had just posted yesterday morning.  He had a few callers and several emails.  I spent almost an hour on the phone with him discussing the car and another 30 min talking about his other vehicles and my vehicles, after reviewing pictures I setup a viewing.  I also prefer the V8

6 hours ago, Bowtiebrad said:

Yes I believe for the condition the price is fair.  Ive bought a cheaper car and did an amateur resto before and I ended up well over my targeted- max investment.  Ive learned that if it isnt sentimental to purchase driveable solid cars and enjoy them vs restoring.  I have a great appreciation for people who do restorations but found its not my thing, Im more of a preserver.  

The words “if it isn’t sentimental to purchase driveable solid cars and enjoy them vs restoring” are never more true than they are today.  There are so many great driving cars available from guys who have been in the hobby for many years and are selling vehicles.  As had been mentioned so many times in other threads the best value is always the “well sorted car” which can be driven from day one

• Like 1

Bowtiebrad:

Congratulations on becoming the next conservator of this fine 1935 Oldsmobile Eight.  Purchase of a preserved, maintained car is far more attainable and realistic than restoration of a deteriorated example.   Unless there is a compelling reason to take on a restoration project because of a rare make or body style, the preserved, maintained cars are the best approach for most.   Good luck with your new acquisition, enjoy it and please keep of apprised of your experiences...we'd love to see pictures!

Steve

• Like 1