Publication of my book: Detroit Steel Artists

colonel vincent

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations Matt on a great book.  Received my copy last week.  Excellent research and insight into some of the personalities of the classic car era.  A wealth of information on Murray/Dietrich and LeBaron/Briggs.  Highly recommended.  

Brian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi, if you are still on the fence about my book, I wanted to share some of the great reviews of my book.

Here's Car & Driver magazine's review of my book:

"Detroit Steel Artists" Is a Book About the Birth of Car Styling (caranddriver.com)

speedreaders.info- Transportation Book Review website:

» Detroit Steel Artists (speedreaders.info)

I only finished 1/2 so far,  I keep getting interrupted by life.   The book is very biographical  in nature and with many pieces of info that were new to me.   Anyways, this is the review I published on Amazon:

This is a car book unlike any I have read in the last 30 years.  In an entertaining and expertly researched fashion it provides the backstory behind some of the most important men of the custom coachbuilding era in the US.   Ray Dietrich, Ralph Roberts, Tom Hibbard, and some of the other greats are given a thorough biographical examination.   There is fascinating information in this book that I have never seen anywhere else.   An absolute requirement for any serious car buff and collector.   Well done Mr. Kilkenny!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found some time to finish Matt's book to the very end.   Exceptionally well done.    Recommended for any prewar car enthusiast.    

Matt,  I'm curious about the title.   The book is very Ray Dietrich centric,  biographical of him and then the characters that came and went in his life.   Was a reason you did not use his name in the title and went with something more generic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally ordered mine from Amazon today.  I will say an ebay guy (Eagle something) shows 10 remaining and Amazon showed same number available, both around $85.  I noticed he is the actual Amazon seller also so, only a few left at that price if you are thinking on it.  Some other vendors show it but they are in the $100 + range.

Looking forward to it!

It's here, but not all roses.

Happy to get this book however, I would urge extreme caution when ordering this book.  I ordered via Amazon, which is actually the Oregon dealer who has them direct as well.  Shipped in a box 3x too large with no packing material at all.  Either these guys need to fire someone or they have no business selling $85 books.

20230216_142509.jpg

20230216_142633.jpg

20230216_143112.jpg

Craig that is excellent.

After cooling off a bit, I thumbed through it and cannot wait to dig in.  

This particular Amazon seller appears to be a subsidiary of a big book wholesaler so they really do not belong in tbe business of shipping singles if they cannot do it right.  But that is that.

The quality is outstanding, and I am looking forward to some recliner time with the long weekend coming up!! 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have not checked back in a while and noticed the comments. Thanks to everyone that has purchased the book and for the nice comments. I couldn't be happier with the feedback on the book as well as the press reviews which are located on my website: detroitsteelartists.com. I have left the bookselling up to others because I didn't feel I had the bandwidth to handle this type of stuff.  I may rethink this. If the printer or warehouse was closer to where I live I may have just gone there and signed every book but this wasn't possible. I would love to sign everyone's book. 

I'm sorry to hear about the damaged book from that particular reseller. This is something I don't have control over.

Autobooks-Aerobooks probably has a few more autographed copies from me from my book signing event I had there.  Great bookstore. 

Amelia Island wasn't in the cards this year to sell and sign books. Perhaps next year. 

I will be giving a talk on my book at the 2023 Packard Club National Meet in Northern California in early July this year. The plan is to sell and sign books. 

To Answer Al's question on why I didn't just name the book after Dietrich. If I had to summarize my book in a couple of sentences: Styling is a given today for selling cars. How did that come to be?  Edsel Ford, Hibbard, Dietrich, and Roberts were major players in turning Detroit into a styling mecca. While I think my book is very comprehensive about Dietrich as well as the business side of Dietrich and the Le Baron companies, and I have a ton of first-person quotes from Dietrich himself, the bigger picture of the book is about how styling really began in the auto industry and the challenges to get it to take hold as a selling point. I think there is a lot of new insight into Tom Hibbard also. Dietrich was clearly a major part of this movement. This is really why I came up with the name I did, the bigger picture and larger story of the avant-garde artists who changed the industry. I talk about Amos Northup also. While many reviews have applauded me for the comprehensive history of Dietrich and Le Baron companies and for clarifying long-told myths, I'm just as proud of what I researched and wrote in chapter 2 as these other chapters.   

Matt

• Like 2

Matt, again, great book. 

In no way can you control reseller shipping.  While I know we don't call out vendors specifically on this site I will just say there based out of Roseburg, Oregon and are a subsidiary of a large book wholesaler out of TN.  They have been unresponsive (surprise!) So we move on.  Could have been worse. Re raising to save others the hassle.  Wish I knew about the CA shop, sounds like the route to take.

Thanks,

Steve

On 3/4/2023 at 5:43 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Wish I knew about the CA shop, sounds like the route to take.

In my case, it was good fortune to find an excellent book seller who looks after online customers like they were face-to-face with you in the store. 

After Amazon and Amazon.ca being both dead ends for purchasing this great book, I went online, and the seller in CA impressed me as the 'best' in that they take their online transactions as a serious part of their business, and count on it for increased sales and revenue, regardless where you live.   Getting a signed copy was an added, and unexpected bonus.

Craig

• Like 1

Hi,

It's disappointing when you are anticipating a shipment and it arrives damaged. If you aren't located close to a retailer for my book, and you want the least amount of middlemen handling it so it arrives in the best possible condition, please order my book directly from the distributor, Itasca Books. I have just arranged with the distributor for a 15% discount off the list price when you order directly from itascabooks.com. You will see this discount when you place your order. In addition, as you could probably guess, I get the most remuneration from the book when you order direct from the distributor. This will also help in my decision about publishing my next book.  

For those outside the United States, the book is now available in many countries around the world including Amazon and/or other resellers in Canada, UK, Japan, France, etc. 

Matt 

Edited by colonel vincent
needed to add one more thing to post (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I wanted to share the great news that my book, Detroit Steel Artists, has won two awards from the Independent Book Publishers Association (IPBA), and is a finalist for the 2023 gold award in the "Coffee Table Book" and "Cover Design" categories!

"Winning an IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award says to bookstores, reviewers, and readers, 'This is one of the best books published in this category and it deserves to be noticed'," said Patagonia Books publisher and previous IBPA Board Chair Karla Olson. This year there were over 1,800 entries. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
A few Friday evenings ago in San Diego, I had the honor of receiving the 2023 Gold Award for the best coffee table book from the Independent Book Publishers Association! The goal of my book was to write something that the car community would really appreciate. This was on my bucket list. I had absolutely no expectations that my book would be viewed so favorably outside the car world. It now has been recognized for just plain being a great book. A great history book in the form of a coffee table book. Fantastic images are woven within a great story. To have my book recognized by the general book publishing community is truly humbling. 
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats! I look forward to adding this to my library. In the meantime, here's a 1931 Packard 840 Individual Custom Convertible Sedan by Dietrich,

seen at the 2023 Highlands Motoring Festival, Highlands, NC. Restored decades ago by J.B. Nethercutt, later owned by Bill Harrah.

DSC_1082CXTx31Packard840IndCustomConvSedanDietrich.jpg.14eb7ee6dfd8f10822c8506b53408f3b.jpg

TG

• Like 1