Charlie Shaver's Knight engine Where is it?

PFindlay

Among Charlie's Shaver's collection of parts was a Russell-Knight engine, actually a Daimler 22 HP Knight engine imported by Russell (in Canada).  I spoke to him a few times and he had plans to build a car around it.

Sadly Charlie is gone now.  I'd like to know if anyone knows what happened to that Knight engine.  Below is a picture of it.  My reason for asking is that I have the only Russell-Knight with that same engine and I suffered a bad experience this week - a broken sleeve.

So I'm desperately seeking anyone with knowledge of Charlie's engine, or early Daimler Knight engines.  If there are any parts out there I'd appreciate any leads.  Also seeking contact for anyone who might be able to make sleeves.

Thanks, Peter509110227_CharliesKnightEngine.JPG.b649539f978ed53877d05aef808a2b8b.JPG

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be too confident in almost anyone making sleeves.....I can think of two or three guys I would trust.......

• Like 4

3 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Peter, are you familiar with the Willys Overland Knight Registry?  wokr.org.  While they're mainly involved in Willys and related cars, they probably have some spillover into other Knight-engined cars.

Right there in the name, Knight registry!👍 The club covers all Knight engined vehicles.🤗

WOKR.org

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

There is an article in the W.O.K.R. club magazine "The Starter" a few years back covering a rebuild that entailed making new sleeves due to too much clearance. Maybe all it needed was more carbon?. Maybe you can locate that edition, as it described the process the machine shop used.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I put a shout out on the MTFCA forum. Charlie had a lot of friends there, and was a regular contributor on that forum. He and I traded a number of emails and PMs over the years, and we discussed his Russel Knight several times. Unfortunately, I have no idea what became of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

I wouldn’t be too confident in almost anyone making sleeves.....I can think of two or three guys I would trust.......

I said there were "guys".  I was thinking probably 3 too.   However,  WOKR club members have made sleeves, so it is doable if you love your car enough.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I said there were "guys".  I was thinking probably 3 too.   However,  WOKR club members have made sleeves, so it is doable if you love your car enough.

So the real problem making sleeves is the shop has to want to do it...........not just take it as another job. The good guys are busy, and to be fair......expensive. Fact is getting them right is ten times more difficult than most people think. And you need a shop willing to stand behind their work.....and deal with issues as they come up.......AND THEY WILL COME UP.........if I were making new sleeves, I would rough out three sets.....and only finish one set and try them. I would EXPECT to have problems and figuring that the motor will need a tear down after just a few hours of running. There are a few engines that you just can't simply rebuild and forget....and a sleeve valve is one of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1