Age of some very old tires? Code?

mitchwhodge

Those tire are old enough to retire, so send them out to pasture before they die.

:gramps:

• Like 1

Being Atlas tires, I would guess that they were sold by Standard Oil service stations.  The last of those that I remember was in the mid 60's if not late 50's.  That would make them just guessing about 60 years old at the newest.  Just IMO.

Agree that they are just wall hangers.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

It really doesn't matter how old they are

Actually, It does matter..to him

I'm guessing here, but it sure seems that he might be trying to get some rough idea of which decade his unrestored 90 year old car was abandoned into the barn.  This site is supposed to be about saving/ or also learning any past history of our early cars. 

I've wondered the same exact same thing about one of my once abandoned 90 year old cars, with it's 4 old rotted mismatched 18" tires.  I would be thrilled to know "roughly" when my 32 convertible sedan was junked, as in "before, or after WW2?".......but I recall reading somewhere that the tire dating code system came about in semi-modern times, not back then.  The tires shown have just a manufacturing serial number, and only could be researched if that Company even still exists and also then had kept such ancient records. 

Some replies here are just silly, as to imply that he was going to put these two spare wheels/tires on the axles and actually drive on them?  He even said they are sidemount spares,(not on the ground).   If you look at his avatar, he shows a barn condition survivor AND a restored car, meaning he obviously knows at bit about what is safe to drive on.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, F&J said:

Actually, It does matter..to him

I'm guessing here, but it sure seems that he might be trying to get some rough idea of which decade his unrestored 90 year old car was abandoned into the barn.  This site is supposed to be about saving/ or also learning any past history of our early cars. 

I've wondered the same exact same thing about one of my once abandoned 90 year old cars, with it's 4 old rotted mismatched 18" tires.  I would be thrilled to know "roughly" when my 32 convertible sedan was junked, as in "before, or after WW2?".......but I recall reading somewhere that the tire dating code system came about in semi-modern times, not back then.  The tires shown have just a manufacturing serial number, and only could be researched if that Company even still exists and also then had kept such ancient records. 

Some replies here are just silly, as to imply that he was going to put these two spare wheels/tires on the axles and actually drive on them?  He even said they are sidemount spares,(not on the ground).   If you look at his avatar, he shows a barn condition survivor AND a restored car, meaning he obviously knows at bit about what is safe to drive on.

No need to be argumentative....

They may end up being worth a lot in a few millions years when an alien race lands here and finds them petrified like the dinosaur tracks and bones we find today. In the mean time.... Dandy Dave! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

So.................no answer to his date code question?...............Bob

No info on tires older then 1971. A guess would be 44 as the year. 4 as the month. 04 as the day. So April 4th, 1944? This would make it a war time tire.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1