1939 Lincoln Judkins Berline (project) on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1939-lincoln-model-k-417-a-berline-sedan/ 

A nice car but stored for 15(?) years. It looks like a "simple project" but don't ask Matt if these are an easy restoration. 

I guess the story was that the owner was gong to rod it and I guess we can be happy that he is offering it as original. 

Currently at $12k. Beautiful car - but stock or rod, a money pit to be sure. 

Steve Snyder was offering one a while back. Similar original/worn interior but was a good runner. Don't remember what he wanted, but seems like it was less than getting this one to operate. Sadly. . . . . .

1939_lincoln_model-k-417-a-berline-sedan_img_6084-1-90238.jpeg

1939_lincoln_model-k-417-a-berline-sedan_IMG_5391-Copy.jpeg

1939_lincoln_model-k-417-a-berline-sedan_IMG_5363-Copy.jpeg

1939_lincoln_model-k-417-a-berline-sedan_IMG_0238.jpeg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't know what is involved in getting this car on the road, however, I am sure the cost far exceeds the purchase price.  One area that would concern me is that the division window creates a fixed front seat.  How many people could comfortable drive this car?  At 6' 2' I don't think I would last very long behind the wheel of car like this from a time period when most people were under 6 foot tall.    

• Like 2

This is an absolutely beautiful design and one of my favorites from the late 1930s.  But Matt Harwood's difficulties with the Lincoln K V12 engine and the following picture in the BAT listing of what appears to be a door hinge / mount pulled out of the rotted wood frame makes this look like wheelbarrows of large denomination bills will be required for even a partial “running and driveable” restoration 

CA96A627-618E-4C58-AFD8-8CE568657FA1.jpeg.3359d52639667b0d7799d0f6594b576e.jpeg

Rewooding that car is a 25k proposition.   It is possible that only one of the pillars is bad and you could get away with some splicing.   Usually there is some defect that causes the water to get in to a particular place and you can get lucky that the problem is isolated.  "Lucky" is the operative word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:16 AM, alsancle said:

Rewooding that car is a 25k proposition.   It is possible that only one of the pillars is bad and you could get away with some splicing.   Usually there is some defect that causes the water to get in to a particular place and you can get lucky that the problem is isolated.  "Lucky" is the operative word.

The 1936 Cadillac V-8 Town Cabriolet (open front town car) that I had restored was just one big heavy brute of a car and the doors basically even with new wood (whole car had new structural wood with original wood retained in non-structure) and well done wood in doors too were incredibly heavy and basically self destructing themselves - surprisingly, the car has held up well over time though it did not impress me much at time it was done via quickly spotting a few flaws that we worked hard to correct to just have them "faintly"/subtly see flaws in them again near immediately.  The best thing I did was un-upholster portions of car and we used bolts on the door hinges (or course that meant no one was getting doors back off without a bunch of extra work).   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

The 1936 Cadillac V-8 Town Cabriolet (open front town car) that I had restored was just one big heavy brute of a car and the doors basically even with new wood (whole car had new structural wood with original wood retained in non-structure) and well done wood in doors too were incredibly heavy and basically self destructing themselves - surprisingly, the car has held up well over time though it did not impress me much at time it was done via quickly spotting a few flaws that we worked hard to correct to just have them "faintly"/subtly see flaws in them again near immediately.  The best thing I did was un-upholster portions of car and we used bolts on the door hinges (or course that meant no one was getting doors back off without a bunch of extra work).   

Almost every Classic that I have had the upholstery off of we turnbuckle the doors.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alsancle said:

Almost every Classic that I have had the upholstery off of we turnbuckle the doors.

The doors were turnbuckled too (rather nerve wracking to do on a 100 point car post restoration - just pulling off door panels with nails set through the wool is a barrel of fun in itself).   

Sidenote: Writing this reminded me of all the replated interior door handles that we broke as well, the day the gas tank fell out while driving (that actually turned out for the better too as put a big shinny galvanized tank in), and the fellow who repainted the totally clogged radiator and stuck that back in to have to pull the front sheet metal to recore (collapsed pistons too), and .... 

47 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The doors were turnbuckled too (rather nerve wracking to do on a 100 point car post restoration - just pulling off door panels with nails set through the wool is a barrel of fun in itself).   

Sidenote: Writing this reminded me of all the replated interior door handles that we broke as well, the day the gas tank fell out while driving (that actually turned out for the better too as put a big shinny galvanized tank in), and the fellow who repainted the totally clogged radiator and stuck that back in to have to pull the front sheet metal to recore (collapsed pistons too), and .... 

I've opened a door and had a door handle fall off on the ground and break.  That was nice.

I've had three of these behemoths, with two being the Judkins more desirable 2 window model. The body of this Model K costing over $6,000 new with the "add-ons"  stayed pretty much the same other than the hood vents and brass (chromed) bumper guards from the 1937 model year through 1939 when the ended production. More wood in these cars than a Georgia Forrest. Engine runs smooth ----- very smooth. Problem is that unless you are a good mechanic you needs your own mechanic to be in the car when you are driving it. 

A real beautiful behemoth however. 

• Like 1