Vinyl between body panels on assembly - Thoughts?

JayG

I'm ready to start reassembling my 1925 Dodge Brothers Roadster and was contemplating putting 6-10 mil adhesive vinyl between any painted surfaces that make contact.  For instance the hood shelfs to fenders I was thinking of putting the vinyl on the bottom of the hood shelf before bolting things in place.

Any pros or cons to doing this?  I thought maybe just to avoid paint wear and chipping.  Or is this just a waste of time? Thanks for your thoughts.   Jay

Worth the effort - yes if you want to spend the time, but if those body panels squeaked when new the customers would have complained then.

My Packard touring car has 4 doors and was restored over 50 years ago ( then parked in heated storage when not in use) no squeaks or rattles and I do not think any extra material was used between any panels. Most of the roads you will travel on will be paved so less opportunity for shaking around and squeaks.

• Like 2

Use the Scotch Super 33+ (7 mils thick) or Super 88 (8.5 mils) electrical tape.  It will stick well, conform to shapes, not ooze goo.  Available in black, red, maybe other colors. Cut with scissors or razor knife, don’t try to pull it apart.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

I don't know if it would work on the hood shelf you asked about but in some spots I used old school friction tape, other spots roofing felt. If you use anything on the ground path for lights you need to add a ground wire or find some way to be sure your ground is good.

Dave