VIN's did not exist until mid 1950's and were not standardised until 1981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Buick cars of that era had

• chassis/frame number
  • engine number
  • Unique body number (your 2004)

What number is on the title?

Often chassis number, but could be engine number

Body number indicates made in Flint , as it does not have a letter prefix (but may be wrong)

1st digit of chassis number. 1- Flint, 2 = South Gate, CA. 3 = Linden NJ (for 1939. Need to check more for 1941)

Will dig into my info a little more for trim & paint decode  (Others have far more knowledge-info than me)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Paint is 560 - Carlsbad Black. I cannot find my trim cheat sheet. I see from digging that 901 is Tan Broadcloth for Series 40 cars. 902 is ?

Interesting that the firewall label says 56 and not 56S. Is it a Business Coupe? Does it have a back seat? If it is a 1941 Super Business Coupe I think that is quite a rare bird.

Cheers, Dave

Welcome to the forum, Peterjohn!  As a fellow '41 Super owner, I can say you have come to the right place.  This forum is a fantastic resource with a great bunch of very friendly and helpful people.  You will get all the help you need on any subject -- believe me because I have experienced it first hand.

Just to let you know, your car was already the subject of some comments on the forum before you bought it.  Here's a link to the thread I started when your car was being advertised for sale.

Please don't think we were gossiping behind your back -- we had no idea at the time who would end up with this car.  It's great that you turned up here.  I urge you to start a thread on the "Me and My Buick" forum -- we would love to know more about you and your car.

Neil

• Like 1

Well, I looked forever to find any information including a fair cost of these cars, very hard to find and living in ny, attending car shows, ive never seen one. Price was too much so I passed several times. Finally made a well, well well ..below offer, the car was on consignment and the family accepted. Cant believe these are do hard to find..fella I know said they hotrodded them all

• Like 3

I just went back to the Ebay listing to look at the photos again, and I watched the video for the first time.  Wow -- the engine sounds just great.  It looks like it's running fine and has a new set of radials on it.  Are you just waiting for better weather to take it out?

The dealer took a ton of great photos of this car -- anyone who's interested should click on the link I posted above and then click on the Ebay link.  Scroll down to the bottom of the Ebay listing and you will find the photos and also a short video.  I have never seen a '41 with all of the belly pans around the engine intact like this one.  They're all gone on mine.

Enjoy the car and please keep us posted!

Neil

I just looked at the dealer photos and I have to say that's a really nice looking original interior!  The whole car is really in nice shape.

I only have about 6 ~8" on the ground, but my '38 is not coming out for awhile either...  Now's a good time to go over the car and make your 'to-do' list.  I've been crossing tasks off of my list to be ready for spring!  ;)

• Like 1

99.9% sure this is the same car (from May 2011)

Same cracked steering wheel, side mirror on door, service sticker on door frame and mid windscreen radio aerial.

https://bringatrailer.com/2011/05/01/original-black-lacquer-1941-buick-club-coupe/

Be careful with those dual manifolds. Can crack

A great time capsule car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

99.9% sure this is the same car (from May 2011)

Same cracked steering wheel, side mirror on door, service sticker on door frame and mid windscreen radio aerial.

https://bringatrailer.com/2011/05/01/original-black-lacquer-1941-buick-club-coupe/

Be careful with those dual manifolds. Can crack

A great time capsule car!

I don't think it's the same car.  The one you posted is a club coupe.  This car is a business coupe.  This car lived its whole life (until now) in Minnesota.  The car you posted is from Kansas.  This car has an oil breather cap on the valve cover.  The car you posted has a closed cap on the valve cover (indicating a draft tube).  This car has a brown interior.  The car you posted seems to have a grey interior.  However, the presence of the black valve cover (unusual) in both cars is suggestive.  Maybe the new owner can shed some light on this. Just my $0.02.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

About the engine color: I thought it was all black when I first glanced at the Ebay ad.  The '41 engines were red (except the very early ones, which were gray like the '40s).  A black engine usually means a dealer replacement.  When I looked at the pics of your car more carefully, I saw that it's only the valve cover on your engine that's black.  The block and oil pan look freshly painted in the correct Dante red.  Usually, when someone rebuilds one of these engines they top it off with a correct red valve cover with reproduction decals.  I guess the former owner of your car decided to go with a black valve cover instead.  But it's interesting to hear that it's got the original engine.

Congratulations on the purchase of this beautiful Buick Super. I recall seeing the listing for this car and I remarked that this is the only Business Coupe that I had seen. Unusual in that Buick built 19,603 of the 56S, but only 2,449 of the 56. I believe that these cars were made for the business man and for the most part were driven pretty hard, so the survivor rate of this model is more than likely real low. Best of luck with your "new" car. 

Mike 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

3 hours ago, peterjohn72 said:

Thanks for the interest, definitely not the same car. My car was always in MN. Interior is different. As far as the motor, as per the original bill of sale, matching #s all around. Black?? Red? Spin the wheel...lol

What numbers are matching?

The factory engine paint shed pretty quickly, in most cases leaving black.  Too bad the " color " was not as good as the  "primer ".

Ben

On 1/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, peterjohn72 said:

Upper right side of the data plate, stamped O.K. was told the k was for heater, defroster. Any clues on the O? Matching numbers, I have the original bos. With the numbers and the car numbers match to the bos. So its all there

On my '48 Chrysler, there was a marking on the firewall in white paint that read "OK final."  I always figured this was a quality control check mark that was put on a car after a final inspection.  Is the "OK" on your car possibly the same thing?

Yes, it's stamped on the data tag.  But look at how and where it's stamped.  It looks to me like a mark that was stamped with a die after the data tag was already attached to the car.  Just my $0.02.  Maybe someone can enlighten us.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just bought a 1941 Buick Super Model 56C Convertible, and am awaiting the transporter's arrival.  It has been in a private collection and probably not started in the last couple of decades.  Having delivery to a shop to go thought the fuel system and brakes, and probably recore the radiator.  I don't see any rust, and by using the "Road Worth Rescue" technique of feeding fuel to the "gas make it hapener" from a rubber hose running from a gas can, and a battery I was able to get it started and engine sounds great, starts, runs & stops, certainly enough to get it on & off a transport.  Interior looks to have been redone in vinyl, vs. cloth or leather, and there are a few age cracks in the paint which needs buffing.  I see there is a product to fill scratches, then apply a protective coating. Ha sany one had esxperienced with the type of product, and if so, how about an opinion?  A little TLC, new tires and radiator, and I would call is "good shape". How does the designation of Model 56C differ from what I see on conceptcarz.com as Model 50?  All tips and observations are welcome.

I thought I was looking for a resto-mod with a tire smoking power plant, but alas with this Buick and a 41 Lincoln Continental, it seems the sophisication and pure sexyness of the preware era has taking the place in my heart of loud exhaust and smoking tires.  

Confession:  After buying the 41 Continental and 41 Buick, I have decided they are stepping stone to my holy grail, a 1937-1941 Packard convertible. Know of one that can be bought for under $40K? let me know.

A resto-mod just came up at Mecum in Indy and it was almost perfect (No A/C).  Owner bought it without a drive train so putting a small block Chev in it, at least saved it from a rusted existence in a northern MI field.

I am eager to hear from the members about what to pay special attention to on the Buick, and any desired Packards for sale.  

Posted (edited)

First, congratulations.

In Buick "speak" all Supers are SERIES 50.     Special= Series 40.  Roadmaster = series 70 [ mostly].

In the Super series,   a Model 51 is a four door sedan.  Your Model 56c is a two door convertible.  Each body style has a different Model number.  Beginning with the 5.    All series are the same way.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1