Reamer

knobless

Also...you need a reamer with a pilot. Without the pilot it's virtually impossible to get the holes in the bushings in perfect alignment. Do a search on "Pilot Reamers" or "Critchley Pilot Reamers"...but you still need to know the size. As Dandy Dave as said, they are adjustable.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Also...you need a reamer with a pilot. Without the pilot it's virtually impossible to get the holes in the bushings in perfect alignment. Do a search on "Pilot Reamers" or "Critchley Pilot Reamers"...but you still need to know the size. As Dandy Dave as said, they are adjustable.

Yeah. That too. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2022 at 6:26 PM, Dandy Dave said:

You need to know the pin and hole size. Then you get an expandable reamer that you can adjust to fit. They come in letter sizes. 

Pin is 3/4” hole size 15/16” bushings 15/16 “ length of pin is 5 1/2”  hole top to bottom 6 “ on spindle, Thanks,  who has them, ? 

3BA0B9BA-890D-42E2-B636-0D8996E63FA0.jpeg

D4823D99-DE7A-4DA8-9CB8-0A1015751723.jpeg

D5F81C72-742B-4533-A5C3-A284476C1042.jpeg

BB4CE6D2-C391-447F-A682-9F56364CCF4C.jpeg

35F81330-1A7C-4863-A74A-5BB653F1D29D.jpeg

57 minutes ago, knobless said:

who has them, ? 

Hi, I went through searching for a king pin reamer on ebay and other websites last year and got frustrated with prices, quality concerns, etc.  I got lucky to find a USA used one at a local estate sale for $5.  Pure Luck.  I just did not want to pay well over $100 or take a chance on cheap ones on ebay. 

I just looked again quickly on ebay for a reamer WITH the needed pilot.  Many reamers on ebay are short ones that can't use a pilot, so beware of what you look at.

I did not see any used ones.    Here is a link to a new one on ebay that is budget priced with the needed pilot,  but it's from India, so who knows about quality.  However you won't use it every day, so maybe it's OK?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115200037600?hash=item1ad27512e0:g:Gl4AAOSwzVtf-yyE

This seller sets the order form up top of ad, and you type in your size range where it says "Select" or "Type".  I chose 23/32 to 25/32, and then his form shows the price for that size at $58.99 with free shipping.  I have NO idea if overseas shipping is delayed with all the metal shortages and off shore shipping delays, so buyer beware?

Most other sellers there show pilot reamers at around $100-$120 -up. 

My best advice is to ask your local engine / machine shops to see if they can ream your spindles for a decent price after you press the bushings in?  If they could do it for $80 to $100, would that make more sense?

• Like 3

It is almost imposable to use straight fluted reams on any bushing that is split or has a grease groove. The flutes get hung up in either the groove or the split and jambs. Your best bet would be the spiral type that have a twist to the flutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 11:56 AM, F&J said:

I did not see any used ones.    Here is a link to a new one on ebay that is budget priced with the needed pilot,  but it's from India, so who knows about quality.  However you won't use it every day, so maybe it's OK?  

Frank, I've bought several Indian-made machine tool bits. So far, they have all proved to be quite good — perhaps not as good as 60-year old US tools but better than many of the Chinese tools. The fact is that many of us need tools that will only be used rarely and it just isn't practical to always buy the very best...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 4