1954 Buick Skylark Convertible

I'm posting this because for the last 30 years I would have to explain to my dad why a 53 was better than a 54.   He owned a 54 in the late 50s and he wouldn't even notice a 53 if it hit him.

However,  I have now had a religious experience and I LOVE this car.    No description yet and the auction is a ways off.  But maybe some Buick experts can chime in.   I know the 53 rides the Roadmaster chassis and is chopped.   What does the 54 have going for it besides the fact this car really floats my boat?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl22/fort-lauderdale/lots/r0005-1954-buick-skylark-convertible/1197689

54Buick-1.jpg

54Buick-2.jpg

54Buick-3.jpg

• Like 2

AJ:

The '54 Skylark styling. at least for the wheelhouses, rear quarters and deck are a production interpretation of the '54 Wildcat II Motorama Show Car and preview the '55 Wildcat III wheelhouses.   In terms of custom versus production, the '53 Skylark was much more a factory series custom body, sharing little with other production Buicks, particularly from the cowl rearward.  A 1940-'54 glass interchange book I have shows every piece is unique to the '53 Skylark.  For the '54 Skylark, only the rear quarter windows are unique, all other shared with the OB-Bodied Special/Century convertibles.   Buick was flying high in those years; the GM BoD wasn't going to turn down any request for tooling funds for a 'halo' model.

Steve

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

The '54 Skylark styling. at least for the wheelhouses, rear quarters and deck are a production interpretation of the '54 Wildcat II Motorama Show Car and preview the '55 Wildcat III wheelhouses.   In terms of custom versus production, the '53 Skylark was much more a factory series custom body, sharing little with other production Buicks, particularly from the cowl rearward.  A 1940-'54 glass interchange book I have shows every piece is unique to the '53 Skylark.  For the '54 Skylark, only the rear quarter windows are unique, all other shared with the OB-Bodied Special/Century convertibles.   Buick was flying high in those years; the GM BoD wasn't going to turn down any request for tooling funds for a 'halo' model.

Steve

Steve,  thanks.  I always knew the 53 was a much bigger custom job than the 54.   What do you think is unique about the rear quarter window on the 54?  Did they change the shape of the window cutout?

58 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve,  thanks.  I always knew the 53 was a much bigger custom job than the 54.   What do you think is unique about the rear quarter window on the 54?  Did they change the shape of the window cutout?

AJ:

Dimensionally they're shown as at the same but with different part numbers.  In some specific detail they must differ though what it is, is a mystery.  Maybe it's to accommodate a different top boot? 

Steve

The '53s were insanely expensive to build given all the custom work that was involved in their construction. The '54s were little more than Century convertibles with different fenders, quarters, and trunk lid. I didn't know the quarter windows were different, but that would surprise me. The goal was to give it a custom look without the custom work and make all the changes things that could be installed on the assembly line instead of finished by hand in a corner of the factory. I had one of each at the same time and had the opportunity to compare them back to back--even though the blue '54 was a finer car (fresher restoration), I preferred the way the '53 drove. It was intangible but somehow the '53 felt more substantial and better built (probably all that lead in the body). I also never much cared for the cut-away fender openings on the '54s and the "Darrin dip" in the doors is far more pronounced on the '53s, which makes them look sportier and lower.

Here are more of my thoughts:

• Like 5

No, I checked the serial numbers. Auction car is early production, mine was a late production. Although with only 800 cars built, the distinction between "early" and "late" is pretty academic. They were probably all built within a span of about 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To me the 54 lines are crisp and clean compared to the 53.  The chrome tail light bezels scream  skylark(bird like).  The open wheel wells are very unique.  The 54 is a smaller nimble car compared to the 53.  Sportier. And for some reason when I see a 54 Skylark I envision Marilyn Monroe behind the wheel.  Call me crazy.  If you are able to win this beautiful car at auction... enjoy! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For the '54 Skylark, only the rear quarter windows are unique, all other shared with the OB-Bodied Special/Century convertibles. 

What I do know is the '54 Skylarks still had hydro-electric operation for the windows as well as the top, while all the other '54 Buick convertibles (and sedans) made the move to electric windows.  Perhaps the casting of the rear window frames below the beltline that one does not see is different between the two.

Craig

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Can one of the Buick guys explain to me the difference between a Century chassis and a Roadmaster chassis?   And any differences between 53 & 54?

The 53 looks longer,  but maybe because it is chopped?

According to the narrator on the auction show I was watching last night one had a longer wheelbase, maybe the roadmaster which also carried 4 fender vents as opposed to 3. I apologize in advance for spreading false information if it may be, but I put the blame back to the guy at the BJ auction, LOL.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Can one of the Buick guys explain to me the difference between a Century chassis and a Roadmaster chassis?   And any differences between 53 & 54?

The 53 looks longer,  but maybe because it is chopped?

AJ:
The 1953 Buicks were a mix of OB, B/C-Bodies on the 121.5" wheelbase across the Special 40, Super 50 and Roadmaster 70, except the Model 52 and 72R sedans on 125.5" wb.  The Special, with its last year straight eight, shares the OB Bodies with Olds 88 and 98. The Super 50 and Roadmaster 70 received the new 'Nail-Head' V8, share bodies with Cadillac.   It takes a bit of study to understand which models had which body series. 
The Skylark was built on the Super/Roadmaster/Cadillac convertible shell.  I recall reading (don't recall where) that Fisher set up a separate line to modify the basic body shells for the Fiesta (OB), Skylark(C) and Eldorado(C).  Modified were the upper cowls on the Fiesta and Eldorado to fit the wrap-around windshields, 'chopped' the Roadmaster windshield frame, door shells and upper quarter panels metal received the 'Darrin Dip".  Further, sections were specially modified on the Eldorado shell to accommodate the hidden top mechanism and metal boot cover.   The shells were then shipped 'in the white' to each makes body plant for final trim and finishing.  The panel-crafting and leadwork is quite extensive for all three models, the Eldorado the most.   Each has a windshield not shared with any other model.

For 1954, even with GM controlling over 50% of the market, it was an extravagance too much to sustain.   But, no matter, the 1954 Olds, Buicks and Cadillacs had all-new styling and bodies, rationalized into the OB for Olds 88's and Buick Special/Century.  The Buick Super and Roadmaster plus Cadillac shared the new, modern C-Bodies with wrap-around windshield and "Florentine' curves.    Olds lost the Fiesta, and Cadillac pulled the Eldorado back to share the Series 62 body with unique exterior and interior trim and higher level of standard features.  Buick moved the Skylark to the 122" wb (OB) Century platform rather than the 127" wb (C) Super, Roadmaster, Cadillac platform.   As noted, Buick was granted the special tooling for fenders, quarter panels, decklid, taillights, etc.  Might have helped to have Harlow Curtice as GM President; Buick was Curtice's baby.  Buick dropped the Skylark for 1955: it hardly needed a halo model the way Buicks were selling. 

The '54 Buick Skylark's unique rear quarters styling applied to the standard convertible body to create a halo model did set a pattern.  It became the standard practice to create the 1955-'58 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz and Seville.

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...