What's going on in Monterey?

mike6024

The Colorado Fire (as it is called) south of Carmel has NOT (yet) damaged the magnificent Bixby Creek Bridge built in 1932 and which is said to be the second-most-photographed (behind the Golden Gate Bridge) in California.

here's the most recent from Google:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-25/colorado-fire-in-big-sur-started-by-pile-burning-operation

2 hours ago, John348 said:

I don't understand what woodchippers have forest fires? Is this some sort of joke I am just missing

I'll type slow, a woodchipper like the industrial one in the video I posted chip tree trunks and produce chips that get sold as mulch. Placing brush in a pile and setting it on FIRE on a windy day blows embers that start FOREST FIRES. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

I really wanted my own wood chipper, if you look at used ones, the prices are almost like they are Duesenberg‘s. I was shocked.

My chipper runs off my Deere John PTO- the only way to chip. 

50 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Burning can be very safe,  but you do it when it's really wet and best on a day when it's calm and drizzling out after a good day of rain.  Winter burning is good as well in the North when everything is covered by snow and there are no leaves on the trees.  Stay away from the evergreens and you are good to go.  Nice thing with burning is there is nothing left.  Chipping unless you are chipping stuff you should be cutting up for camp fire wood,  really just makes small brush out of big brush.  All those birch tops and what not come right out the other end like tinsel through a cat. 

I have a commercial chipper.  Will chip up to 12 inches.  If you are going to buy one,  make it a self feeding one.  Those chuck and ducks like above are dangerous. 

Here is mine way off in the distance after shipping a bunch of the brush from all the trees I dropped to build my shop. 

I have to get it out again this year.  Bought more property and alot more brush. They start around 5G for a well used model with some shopping.  That's what mine was 6 years ago.  Mine is a 90's Morbark.  I've chipped alot of brush with it already and only gave it 1 oil change, a new set of knives,  and a new set of air and hydraulic filters as well as a few belts.  Loves to shred the engine belt.  A kevlar belt helped that alot.   It was a problem long before I bought it as someone cut part of the shielding off the fan so you can change the belt without taking it off.  Really needs a carb as well (it's literally falling apart) ,  but it has some mongrel on it via a home made adapter plate welded to the manifold.  I've been thinking I should sell it and buy a little smaller one in better shape.  Do you really ever chip anything 12 inches in diameter?  Anything over 3" and sometimes smaller I cut up for camp wood.  I have piles of free camp wood to give away,  but it has to be extracted from the woods where i have it piled. 

5186B7F1-04BF-4382-B495-D87E39CEB02A_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll type slow, a woodchipper like the industrial one in the video I posted chip tree trunks and produce chips that get sold as mulch. Placing brush in a pile and setting it on FIRE on a windy day blows embers that start FOREST FIRES. 

Bob, You did not have to type slow in an attempt to be sarcastic, you could have simply said that is what caused the fire, right? I obviously (nor did CChin) did not know the cause of the fire, California wildfires have become commonplace news 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, John348 said:

Bob, You did not have to type slow in an attempt to be sarcastic, you could have simply said that is what caused the fire, right? I obviously (nor did CChin) did not know the cause of the fire, California wildfires have become commonplace news 

I read post #3 and copied it in my reply.