1960 Thunderbird

michaellacasse

I am interested in purchasing my first collector car as a driver for local short jaunts around town. A 1960 Thunderbird. listed online at Streetside Classics around Phoenix Arazona. Pictures available at Streetside Classics. Diamond Blue color with all new interior. Newer drive train, power streeing, windows and brakes. 18 inch Boyds wheels. replaced 352 with a 390. Had factory air but no components are under hood, Just the original dash controls. Paint may be original and has some blemishes and a mismatched drivers door very obviously displayed in the photos and probably painted off the car and does not match. I can have the door and side painted to match locally for about a grand. About $1100.00 to ship open carrier to Florida. They are asking 18,995. When I spoke to Robin Lane of Streetside Classics he stated that it is a great open road running vehicle and is mechanically sound. Is this a good deal and if not what should I offer or should I keep looking for other 1960 Birds?

Hmm, car described in OP post or the very attractive convertible that is likely 10x nicer for a little more.  Easy choice, imho, especially since the subject car at "Streetside" would immediately need paintwork.

Your post may have found you a really nice "big bird"!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The car you describe sounds like a hodge podge made from a few different cars. Wrong engine, changed door, missing A/C is a big hit, Boyd's wheels are not a plus.  Needs paint, and you make no mention of it being a convertible so I'm assuming it's just another coupe. What you describe is way over priced at $19K.

Tired '58-'60 T bird coupes are available in almost every state in the union for pretty low $$$.  If you buy this car you will regret it, and soon.  Resale will be a nightmare because anyone seeking a 1960 T bird will only see what is wrong/missing on this car.  Keep looking.  Cars like the one Jak posted above are a much better choice.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

The car I posted has new paint, rebuilt transmission, front suspension rebuilt, brakes rebuilt,new fuel tank,new top and hydraulic hoses, new interior.

radio has not been upgraded. Car runs very strong and will go all day. This car is correct except for the radial tires.

Hello Michaellacasse. Pictures are usually the most essential thing in getting strangers on the internet to come up with a ballpark value of what a car is worth. In your case, since you've (correctly) focused on the car's deficiencies in your description it's fairly easy to conclude - as Greg has done - that the car isn't worth what they're asking. What it's actually worth, who knows. If it's a convertible, that will change things as they're worth more (again, pictures are important. )

I have no experience with 2nd gen T-Birds, but I have a 4th gen, and it's my impression that most of these early 4 seater Thunderbirds (up to and including 1966 models) have uniquely low market values among collector cars, especially cars that are stylish and somewhat well known. $19k should buy an extremely nice hardtop, IMO. Post '66 models tend to be worth even less.

I know nothing about JAK's car, so I'm not promoting it, but it should give you an idea of the kind of good condition you should expect when talking about that kind of money.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, michaellacasse said:

Newer drive train, power streeing, windows and brakes. 18 inch Boyds wheels. replaced 352 with a 390.

Make sure the car includes a list of all the modifications with part numbers.  Parts will need to be replaced in the future and you or your mechanic can't go into the local parts store anymore and order parts for a 1960 Thunderbird.  The list is a must. 

• Like 1

Your salesman isn't likely to know much that's useful or helpful about this car you're vetting, most consignors don't, and S.S. is almost entirely consignment only. They don't have a mechanic checking anything out down there, so you can throw a whole salt shaker at any claims they make of "mechanically sound", which is painting with a verbal paint roller, to say the least. In any event, either get yourself to Phoenix to see it, and if you don't know much about cars, find someone qualified to go through it for you first, there is zero financial upside in these cars if you over pay for a crappy one. I'm with the rest of the gruop- I'd be taking a close look at JAK's car. I know of two decent driver quality 1960 T-Bird coupes that were for sale this fall between $11-14k within about 50 miles of me so for near 20k, assuming it's a coupe, this should be a nicer than your description sounds.    

Edited by JCHansen1 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Cars like the one Jak posted above are a much better choice.

JAK is probably too modest to promote himself,

but I can vouch for his integrity.  He is a private

party, not a dealer;  he is a capable mechanic and

professional restorer.  He is also an acknowledged 

expert on steam cars and has traveled to help

other steam owners.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, michaellacasse said:

I can have the door and side painted to match locally for about a grand. About $1100.00 to ship open carrier to Florida. 

I should have said, Michael, welcome to the AACA Forum!

The antique-car hobby is enjoyable, and it can also be

very affordable.

I agree with others that there are better choices for you.

Painting the side of a car, if done well (done properly),

may cost well over $1000.  And good antique-car transporters

will likely charge more than $1100 for that distance;  there are

several threads on the forum that give strong cautions to

get a good transporter, not merely a broker who will use

the cheapest foreign-speaking Johnny-come-lately he finds.

We can recommend some if you wish.

We want you to get off to a good start in the hobby.

Be patient about finding the right car, of whatever model,

and feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

That way, you'll enjoy the hobby and stay for a lifetime!

• Like 3

If you like the 1961-63 Thunderbirds--a different style--

then here is a 1963 that you might consider.  I don't

know this particular car, but it looks good from the few

pictures posted;  and it is in South Carolina, fairly close

to you.  It is in the "Not Mine" section of the

AACA Forum, where people re-post car ads they see

which might interest others.

Please come back to the forum and share your thoughts

with us:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1959 Thunderbird sedan in N. Idaho on Facebook Marketplace. At $5,000, looks a little too-good-to-be-true. No idea if still F/S or condition.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/139672671678092/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A416047fa-82eb-4a80-9a21-011510a551ba

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)