1936 Auburn Cord

nick8086

Any know any thing about the cords? It is for sale..

I buddy of mine has a storage unit..

We are going to have our club meet at his storage unit this month..

Let me know if you want a picture of it..

Not sure on this original or  modified..

My question was can  anyone educate me on the cords? I no nothing about them

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Any know any thing about the cords? It is for sale..

I buddy of mine has a storage unit..

We are going to have our club meet at his storage unit this month..

Let me know if you want a picture of it..

Not sure on this original or  modified..

Of course we want not just a picture, but a bunch of pictures AND a price too!

14 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

It is an estate item.. For sale.. not mine..

My question was can  anyone educate me on the cords? I no nothing about them..

The Cord 810/812 is well documented, just do a Google search and you’ll get hundreds of hits. If you have specific questions I’m happy to answer them.

By the way, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap cord.

• Like 3

I have the G. Borgeson of AQ tome on E.L.Cord, His Empire, His Motor Cars  and his wonderful Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg. Mint condition, 17x11, 280 pages including technical and photos of all 3 makes. Great book, includes linen covered protective case. Sold initially for $250USD I think in 2003, bought this one direct. Mint Condition, asking $100 plus shipping if interested. Will be posting in "for sale" section soon, boxing day sale here, right now!! 

IMG_7805.JPG

IMG_7807.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

The Cord 810/812 is well documented, just do a Google search and you’ll get hundreds of hits. If you have specific questions I’m happy to answer them.

That's so true, and one who hasn't owned one can't fully appreciate that fact.  I was lucky enough to be able to acquire a solid 1937 standard phaeton in the 1980s, and at the time I was uneducated on them enough that it went on numerous tours and excursions in Louisiana, my home state, and where I lived at the time.  

If I'd known then what I know now, I guess I'd never have left my driveway, scared to blazes that something would go wrong.  But, the Cord just motored along, and shifted like it didn't know any better.

Other cars came and went, the Cord stayed, and finally the sitting and non-maintenance caught up with it.  It's at a good friend's shop now, being mechanically freshened, though it will still have paint from the 1960s "dust it off and paint it" paint job.

I have learned, though, that if one wants to tour with such a vehicle, one either needs a full time mechanic to travel along, or be able to troubleshoot issues oneself.  

But, as this conversation started, buying a Cord that's non running, or non shifting, or both, is a real crap shoot.  Expect four digit expenses if you're very talented, five digit expenses if someone helps.  

Either way, if nothing else, there's no better car to be in your garage, with a bourbon neat being sipped, and thinking "man, it's beautiful, but the most beautiful thing about that car, my name's on the title"...

• Like 7

My dad restored ours in his garage back in the early 60s on his own with some part-time help from local mechanics. He won the long-distance award at the reunion twice in the late 60s and drove the car all over the place. So I think he might’ve been a bit like you and that he really wasn’t thinking about it and he never had a problem with the car. Of course I spent the last year plus rebuilding the shifting system and I know better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

Similar to my dear friend’s saying “there is nothing more expensive than a free Etype. 

Those Cord phaetons are beautiful. They also carry the title of “car that its replica is most hideous”. I’m not a huge fan of the replicas in general (cobra, Duesenberg, Mercedes ssk,  Auburn boat tail.........  well, maybe I’d own a boat tail) but those replicas of open Cords set the bar for cartoonishly ugly. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Similar to my dear friend’s saying “there is nothing more expensive than a free Etype. 

Those Cord phaetons are beautiful. They also carry the title of “car that its replica is most hideous”. I’m not a huge fan of the replicas in general (cobra, Duesenberg, Mercedes ssk,  Auburn boat tail.........  well, maybe I’d own a boat tail) but those replicas of open Cords set the bar for cartoonishly ugly. 

you are thinking of the Samco which is not really a replica, but I agree very very ugly. The Glenn Pray 8/10 cars are actually pretty cool and used a lot of original parts that Glenn had from the factory.  I wouldn’t mind one of the turbo stick cars.

image.jpeg.8d438395f3c653168a4c628f4eeffb32.jpeg

• Like 1

• nick8086 changed the title to 1936 Auburn Cord
7 hours ago, John Bloom said:

yep, he Samco.  

About 7 or 8 different comments just want to roll off my tongue, but I’m going to say none of them. 

sorry for the hijack of the thread. 

I don't think Nick minds.  The Samco is on par or worse than most of the Auburn 851/852 replicas.   But I don't really consider it a replica,  or a Cord...

• Like 1

It is a typo It is Fremont, Nebraska  not Freeport NE.. 

If you have money the to buy this car. I can send you an email info..

FYI.. may be more than my Kaiser Darrin to get..

Since it was an estate car.. any car over 65k needs an appraisal in the state of NE..

Gov wants it money.. So the know what it is worth..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 1/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, John Bloom said:

More hideous products from the 1970's Malaise era. 

The back pages of Car Classics and Special Interest Autos from that time period were full of these replicar ads, 'neoclassics' including Zimmer, Clenet; plus other small ads for slantnose Pintos, VW Bugs with RR grilles, '40 Ford grilles, etc.  Probably the biggest joke was the "Custom Cloud", a conversion that turned a Monte Carlo into a genuine pimpmobile.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classiclines said:

The linked Hemmings article doesn't have all the production numbers correct, but it gives a useful overview:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1936-1937-cord-810-812

It is not a bad article. But anybody that refers to a convertible coupe as a “sportsman“ is not really an expert.

Though I have to agree with his point about the twin exhaust, I always thought it needed two tail pipes.

By the way, I’ve been trying to beat the “sportsman” moniker out of my dad for years.  I guess I should give up.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Agree, the experts write great books that sell out and become as rare as the cars they're writing about.  New condition volumes are 'dear' and decent used condition books command high prices.  The four Cord books and one Ruxton book that I'd like to see on my shelf - well. let's just say there is still a gap on my bookshelf - right next to my Automobile Quarterly's.    Since the author wanted a quick overview - I went with a lesser source 😊