For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/21, 1/17, 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced - 1/24 No Longer Available

For sale on Ebay: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible in Winter Haven, FL  -  Ebay Buy-It-Now Price: $85,000 OBO  -  No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Ebay: 52hdfrank

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203739499227/1958-Oldsmobile-Super-88-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible

• For Sale By: Private Seller
  • VIN: 588K01932
  • Mileage: 79,978
  • Number of Cylinders: 8
  • Engine: 371 CI 312 HP 6.1 liter J2 tri-power
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Power Options: Power Windows, Power Seats
  • Options: Convertible, power top, windows, seat, antenna
  • Exterior Color: White
  • Interior Color: Red/white
  • Vehicle Title: Clean

1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertible, in good original condition not restored. In very good mechanical condition, new brake system, rebuilt electric system, supension system gone through including new tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, bearings, and shock absorbers. New convertible top, rear window, pads, and hydraulic lines, rebuilt power top pistons and pump motor. New carpeting, and Coker wide whitewall tires, new chrome bumpers and stainless steel trim accents where needed, electrical system gone through everything is working. 

• It is not a Cutlass, sorry for the mishap or any inconveniences it may have caused but the site doesn't have the option to delete the model Cutlass...
  • I have an official letter from the Oldsmobile Club of America stating that there are only sixteen 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertibles in the world, listing the locations of all sixteen including one in Sweden and of course mine that is listed here on eBay for sale. I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention so you know how rare a car you are bidding on...

I have truly enjoyed owning this vehicle but for several personal reasons I can no longer continue to keep her.... Good luck to the new owner, she is one rare beautiful automobile that gets a lot of attention where ever she goes...

image.png.6025a169cd9431e4dd7f943879bc1876.png

image.png.855c229ac5d27d959e83439f259d8f9e.png

image.png.5f54d66bfcf224c2ef0c417a698b6bd4.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

I have an official letter from the Oldsmobile Club of America stating that there are only sixteen 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertibles in the world, listing the locations of all sixteen including one in Sweden and of course mine that is listed here on eBay for sale. I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention so you know how rare a car you are bidding on...

I don’t care if the official letter came from Ransom E. Olds himself. Statements like this are bs. If you were to say 1 of the known 16, it would be true. NO ONE knows how many of any car exist UNLESS you can account for all of that particular car that were made.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

I don’t care if the official letter came from Ransom E. Olds himself. Statements like this are bs. If you were to say 1 of the known 16, it would be true. NO ONE knows how many of any car exist UNLESS you can account for all of that particular car that were made.

Yes, that's true 👍 

But what do you think about the car?

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

Cool car. I always felt like the top line 1958 GM cars needed a few more chrome bits. 😁

I like the white with red interior. The interior looks pretty shabby.  Is that the original style on the seats or a replacement?  Maybe seat covers? Impressive job finding tape that exactly matches the red vinyl.  

The body looks pretty good in these pics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

But what do you think about the car?

Unusual style. Never saw a ‘58 Olds convert. Why is the rear carpet all wrinkled? Is that red duct tape all along the left side of the driver’s seat? Engine bay looks like rode hard & put away wet. This car MAY (and I stress may) have only 80000 miles on it, but it looks like maybe hard miles. If I were interested, I’d be spending a couple three hours going over every detail on this car, and I’d need lots & lots of paperwork proof of the miles.

• Like 2

I love these cars, king of chrome. Style is beautiful in my opinion, but that is a matter of taste. If the price is based on the fact that there are only 16 left in the world, I would agree with 6T-Finseeker, no way to know this. If I had 85K and was thinking of buying this car it would have to be as clean and crisp as a newly minted hundred dollar bill. Sorry to say it is not. Nice car. but not that nice. 

• Like 4

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/3/22 Reduced & Relisted

On 1/3/22, Seller reduced price to $77,000 and listed on Facebook  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 1/8, Seller reduced price to $69,000

On 1/17, Seller reduced price to $59,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4321155057989624/1958-Oldsmobile-Super-88-Convertible

Seller's Description:

• 2 owners
  • Driven 79,987 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: White · Interior color: Red
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertible in good original condition with 79,987 actual miles, recently removed from storage after over 40 years, mechanically gone through: brake system (rebuilt master cylinder, power brake booster, wheel cylinders, rubber brake lines, turned drums, brake shoes), electrical system (rebuilt generator, voltage regulator), supension system(new shock absorbers, tierod ends, bearings, bushings), new Coker wide whitewalls, new convertible top (new rubber window tracks, rebuilt hydraulic motor, pistons, new hydraulic lines), original bumpers chromed, replaced door and trunk rubber, original drivetrain 371ci Rocket 88, with J2 tri-power carburetors 312 HP, Jetaway 4 speed automatic transmission, car is not a show car but is presentable condition, it was painted over 50 years ago and still shines, everything is in operating order, I have documentation from the "National Oldsmobile Club of America"(stating there are only 16 remaining in the world) making it very RARE!

image.png.3f2224997b1111cff8a0e3f4d80e094a.png

image.png.b1368ed40f128e46e7c724494c625ccd.png
image.png.dea78b93ceadeb1b767862bd26c4cbb7.png
image.png.15ff861f273995dbaa72011b167aba9f.png
Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

15 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

On 1/3/22, Seller reduced price to $77,000 and listed on Facebook  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Selller's contact information

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4321155057989624/1958-Oldsmobile-Super-88-Convertible

Seller's Description:

• 2 owners
  • Driven 79,987 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: White · Interior color: Red
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertible in good original condition with 79,987 actual miles, recently removed from storage after over 40 years, mechanically gone through: brake system (rebuilt master cylinder, power brake booster, wheel cylinders, rubber brake lines, turned drums, brake shoes), electrical system (rebuilt generator, voltage regulator), supension system(new shock absorbers, tierod ends, bearings, bushings), new Coker wide whitewalls, new convertible top (new rubber window tracks, rebuilt hydraulic motor, pistons, new hydraulic lines), original bumpers chromed, replaced door and trunk rubber, original drivetrain 371ci Rocket 88, with J2 tri-power carburetors 312 HP, Jetaway 4 speed automatic transmission, car is not a show car but is presentable condition, it was painted over 50 years ago and still shines, everything is in operating order, I have documentation from the "National Oldsmobile Club of America"(stating there are only 16 remaining in the world) making it very RARE!

image.png.3f2224997b1111cff8a0e3f4d80e094a.png

image.png.b1368ed40f128e46e7c724494c625ccd.png
image.png.dea78b93ceadeb1b767862bd26c4cbb7.png
image.png.15ff861f273995dbaa72011b167aba9f.png

All this cleaning material and nothing to use under the hood. Engine compartment is a mess. C'mon man you asking the big bucks put a little elbow grease into this car.

• Haha 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/17, 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced

The price is beginning to enter the realm of reality. Original 85k was way out of the gym, but there are so many things that need correction, where do you start. That having been said, it is a convertible and you don't see too many 58 Olds convertibles. Great looking dash, one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

58 Oldsmobiles are one of my favorites too but this car just rubs me the wrong way, it looks like it was just a crummy used car to start with that was quickly done over with little attention paid to the details. I mean how could you ask $85K or even $59K for a car with an engine compartment that looks like that? The inner fender edges and the underside of the hood aren't painted, nothing in there has been detailed at all and even the two diagonal strut rods are bent out of shape. It might be a seldom-seen model but with the seller saying over & over how rare & beautiful it is, I'm turned off by the whole presentation and I really don't care much for the seller either. It seems like the ultimate hustle job to me. 

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/17, 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced - 1/20 SOLD!
5 hours ago, The 55er said:

58 Oldsmobiles are one of my favorites too but this car just rubs me the wrong way, it looks like it was just a crummy used car to start with that was quickly done over with little attention paid to the details. I mean how could you ask $85K or even $59K for a car with an engine compartment that looks like that? The inner fender edges and the underside of the hood aren't painted, nothing in there has been detailed at all and even the two diagonal strut rods are bent out of shape. It might be a seldom-seen model but with the seller saying over & over how rare & beautiful it is, I'm turned off by the whole presentation and I really don't care much for the seller either. It seems like the ultimate hustle job to me. 

I certainly see your point, so many details that are overlooked it just blows me away that someone could state how beautiful and rare this is and ask such high dollars for this. Just plain neglect, that is what you are looking at here. The tape on the front seat, as you mentioned the engine compartment that has never been freshened up etc. If this car was maintained as it should have been, no sweat asking the high dollars, but no, this car has been treated like a red headed step child. I guess that I wouldn't be so cheesed if this was not one of my all time favorite cars. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/21, 1/17, 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced - 1/21 Back on Market
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible - "1 of 16 Remaining" - Winter Haven, FL - Not Mine - 1/21, 1/17, 1/8 & 1/3/22 Reduced - 1/24 No Longer Available