1936-1937 Cord Question

f.f.jones

I'm not familiar at all with 1936-1937 Cords, but these pictures got me interested and curious. I thought they all were "flat backs" with no "bustle". But here are two examples that have unusual trunk designs. Can someone explain these? Were they customs or options? 

1937 CORD 812 PHAETON BUSTLEBACK -

1937' Cord 812 Beverly Sedan for sale. Indiana

The "bustle back" was a factory option on the Beverly which was the upscale version of the 4 door Westchester.   To my knowledge the factory did not offer that on the convertibles (phaeton pictured and convertible coupe).   The top picture is either something done in restoration or maybe one of a couple the factory did that I don't know about.

The cost of a new Cord from 1936 to 1937 ranged from $2k to $3k. Counting inflation through the years, today's purchase dollars would be  $40k to $60k. That's less than most full size 4 x 4 pickups cost now. I would venture to think most of the people who bought Cords were not among the wealthy, domestic help employing folks. There were certainly exceptions, but  the one-percenters back then had their custom bodied luxury vehicles and didn't necessarily purchase production line cars while they remained in the chips. To many rich people of that era driving your own car was quite plebeian. 

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

The cost of a new Cord from 1936 to 1937 ranged from $2k to $3k.  I would venture to think most of the people who bought Cords were not among the wealthy, domestic help employing folks.

Not true in Canada.  They were priced high as A-C-D didn't have an assembly plant in Canada which would have eliminated import duty on them.

Canadian Cord prices:

newcordprices 001.jpg

12 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

"... I would venture to think most of the people who bought Cords were not among the wealthy, domestic help employing folks. There were certainly exceptions, but  the one-percenters back then had their custom bodied luxury vehicles and didn't necessarily purchase production line cars while they remained in the chips."

Actually, at between $2K-$2.5 for a 1936-'37 Cord Westchester sedan, while they might have considered the Cord 810-812 a production car, it was so unlike anything else offered at the time.  For the 'early-adopters' and extroverted well-off, it was THE stylish transport to be seen driving...more so than the often rather stodgy custom-coachwork those of more conservative taste ordered.  Safe to say the streets and exclusive clubs were alive with Cord 810-812's in Palm Beach, Newport, Southampton, Hollywood, in the era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

The cost of a new Cord from 1936 to 1937 ranged from $2k to $3k. Counting inflation through the years, today's purchase dollars would be  $40k to $60k. That's less than most full size 4 x 4 pickups cost now.

What is forgotten in the comparison is financing. 

That $60k truck is "affordable" because it was financed over 5 or more years. (or leased) 

The Cord would have most likely been purchased for cash, or maybe financed for 2 years. 

This makes a big difference in how much income it takes to buy one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

The cost of a new Cord from 1936 to 1937 ranged from $2k to $3k. Counting inflation through the years, today's purchase dollars would be  $40k to $60k. That's less than most full size 4 x 4 pickups cost now.

I think you need to factor in the difference in the median family income to get a better comparison.  In 1936, the median family income was only about $1,070 -- the purchasing power of about $21,000 today.   So a new Cord started at about 2x the median family income.   

These days, the median family income is about $78,500.   So a new car that starts at 2x the median income -- the modern equivalent of what a Cord would have seemed to cost in 1936 -- would start about $155,000.   

That's in the ballpark of a new Porsche 911 Turbo or a one of the less expensive Bentleys.  Not a small amount of money.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Basically the Cord was an assembled car......so it’s price tag was rather high for the quality you received. 

Eddy, as someone who is intimately familiar with most of the parts on a 810/812 cord. I can tell you that 90% of it is Cord specific. I would hardly consider it an assembled car.

It’s a price point is not as high as the custom or coach build cars that we typically think of for the rich. But Orin’s point is well taken, you were not buying one of these cars as a regular person.

My final point is that the inflation calculators are worthless, and always minimize how expensive something was relative to peoples purchasing power.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Basically the Cord was an assembled car......so it’s price tag was rather high for the quality you received. 

Ed:

E.L. Cord was selling sizzle as much as steak, if the cut wasn't sirloin...who cared!   It was THE car to be seen driving then.  The presence of a Cord 810/812 was an event in itself.

Steve

1 hour ago, mike brady said:

I have a copy of the sales ledger of the Ontario, Canada dealer.  The car sold in 1936 & 1937 were not generally common customers.

I wonder how many Cords were actually sold new in Canada.  There were a handful sold new in Alberta.

Craig

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

14 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

The cost of a new Cord from 1936 to 1937 ranged from $2k to $3k. Counting inflation through the years, today's purchase dollars would be  $40k to $60k. That's less than most full size 4 x 4 pickups cost now. I would venture to think most of the people who bought Cords were not among the wealthy, domestic help employing folks. There were certainly exceptions, but  the one-percenters back then had their custom bodied luxury vehicles and didn't necessarily purchase production line cars while they remained in the chips. To many rich people of that era driving your own car was quite plebeian. 

The Cord was an entry level Duesenberg from conception. It was not a car for every man. When a Cord cost $2000 to $3000 a Ford or Chevy could be had for $650 to $850. You could order your Cord any way you wanted. Any color paint. Any color and material interior. They made many factory customs. They built 3 coupes on special order. Rumble seats. Rear mounted spare tires. One car was specially set up to transport a mans dog. This was a car for a driver. It would be like buying a new Ferrari today. The bustle back trunk could be ordered on any car. You could do whatever you wanted it just took money. The Cord is a great road car and feel more like a 1950's car in power and handling. Many famous folks owned Cords. Amelia Earhardt, Sonja Henie, Tom Mix, captains of industry. The Cord even paced the Indianapolis 500. Anybody who has a Cord that they say doesn't run or drive well has a terrible mechanic. 

37cordsc23.jpg

37bev5.jpg

37cord31.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Mike will back me up on this.   A well sorted 810/812 is a GREAT prewar car to drive.   4th gear is a factory overdrive and it will cruise along at 60 mph effortlessly.

IMG_6962.JPG

It will cruise effortlessly much faster than 60mph. At least, that's my experience with my brother's car when at 70mph it was just loafing along.

• Like 2

Just now, West Peterson said:

It will cruise effortlessly much faster than 60mph. At least, that's my experience with my brother's car when at 70mph it was just loafing along.

I agree. We did two trips in the 60s on 6 lane interstates from Boston to Auburn.  

I was being conservative and factoring my experience was with an SC car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

I agree. We did two trips in the 60s on 6 lane interstates from Boston to Auburn.  

I was being conservative and factoring my experience was with an SC car.

Plus, it's possible there was a speedometer error. I was using modern technology to determine our speed.

7 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

70 mph 1400 rpms 40 lbs of oil pressure. Everything is right with the world.