1920 Mclaughlin

rjp

Leather all the way. Vinyl in no way resembles any of the artificial leathers available back then. Leather as it ages will start to look like old leather. Vinyl will start to look like your grandmother's worn out 1960s recliner.

Don’t just look at the cost of the leather, look at the cost of the whole job.  Labor is the same cost whichever material, unless you’re doing the job yourself.  Vinyl doesn’t look, feel, or wear like leather, so is that going to bother you every time you look at it and “cost” you worry?  When it comes time to sell, the now hidden “cost” is that you, or your heirs, have to listen to “oh, it’s not leather” comments from would be buyers.

The incremental cost of real leather is minimal if one looks at the overall restoration and hidden costs….in my opinion…

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Don’t just look at the cost of the leather, look at the cost of the whole job.  Labor is the same cost whichever material, unless you’re doing the job yourself.  Vinyl doesn’t look, feel, or wear like leather, so is that going to bother you every time you look at it and “cost” you worry?  When it comes time to sell, the now hidden “cost” is that you, or your heirs, have to listen to “oh, it’s not leather” comments from would be buyers.

The incremental cost of real leather is minimal if one looks at the overall restoration and hidden costs….in my opinion…

Agree

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, rjp said:

In about a month I will be putting new interior in my car. Leaning toward leatherlite, real leather is about 3 times higher? Any thoughts?  Resale? up keep?  Thanks

Leave the original interior. Don't touch it. Nobody cares about restored 1920 cars. People care about original cars. Just like coin collectors care about original coins and don't care about a 1923 silver dime that some idiot polished with silver polish. You want to ruin the car? Restore it.