Shipping Parts? Shipper Beware!-A Tale of Woe

Riviera63

I recently had an experience with shipping parts that I would like to pass on to all of you so that you do not have the same thing happen to you and also the need to vent as this still has me livid. 

I sold some parts to someone at the end of October. I usually use FedEx as the USPS has gotten so crazy with their new pricing and FedEx is the most convenient for me. I shipped the parts to this person using FedEx and the shipping estimate was $15.15 using their online shipping service. FedEx does not charge you until the package is delivered. The price charged may be higher or lower depending on how accurate your weights and measurements were.

The other day I received my credit card bill and was shocked to see that the bill for this delivery was $61.61! I filed a dispute with FedEx via e-mail and was told to contact their "Revenue Services Billing Team". The person that I sold the parts to had inadvertently left off their apartment number when they gave me their address. That's where the trouble begins. Initially I was puzzled by this as FedEx will not let you print a label unless you give them the recipient's phone number. I foolishly thought this was there so that if there was a problem with the shipment or delivery they could contact them. Wrong.

I called the "Revenue Services Billing Team" and this is what I was given for the breakdown of the additional charges.

$18.00-because they could not deliver the package as they did not know the unit number (refer to statement about the contact number). It cost more for this charge to take it back to the local FedEx center than it did to deliver it from central Wisconsin to California! It was pointed out to me that they had driven all the way out to this address to deliver this package and were not able to deliver the package, so they had to drive the package all the way back to the FedEx center so that they could research the correct unit. Foolish me, I thought they had a truck packed full of packages that were to be delivered to the same general area and when they were all delivered they drove back to the FedEx location so that the truck could be reloaded for the next day. Apparently, in this area they load and deliver one package at a time, deliver it and then the driver leaves the truck and walks back to the FedEx center.

$14.00-Additional handling charge. It was explained to me that this package could not be processed on their automated conveyor system and had to scanned in "by hand". The package was a standard shipping tube 36" X 4" X4". When asked if this was a charge that was levied on all shipping tubes, he had no answer. 

$4.00-Charge for delivering to a residence. This was initially part of the original charge. Apparently going to the same place twice counts as delivering to 2 separate residences.

$5.95-Charge was assessed because it was being delivered during a "peak" delivery period. The package was shipped on October 29th. Who knew that Halloween caused such an upsurge in deliveries?

$5.42-Fuel surcharge. This charge as like the residential charge is levied in the original cost of delivery. 

Total Extra charges of $47.37 on a $15+ delivery.

Take care when giving out shipping addresses to make sure they are complete.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riviera63 said:

I recently had an experience with shipping parts that I would like to pass on to all of you so that you do not have the same thing happen to you and also the need to vent as this still has me livid. 

I sold some parts to someone at the end of October. I usually use FedEx as the USPS has gotten so crazy with their new pricing and FedEx is the most convenient for me. I shipped the parts to this person using FedEx and the shipping estimate was $15.15 using their online shipping service. FedEx does not charge you until the package is delivered. The price charged may be higher or lower depending on how accurate your weights and measurements were.

The other day I received my credit card bill and was shocked to see that the bill for this delivery was $61.61! I filed a dispute with FedEx via e-mail and was told to contact their "Revenue Services Billing Team". The person that I sold the parts to had inadvertently left off their apartment number when they gave me their address. That's where the trouble begins. Initially I was puzzled by this as FedEx will not let you print a label unless you give them the recipient's phone number. I foolishly thought this was there so that if there was a problem with the shipment or delivery they could contact them. Wrong.

I called the "Revenue Services Billing Team" and this is what I was given for the breakdown of the additional charges.

$18.00-because they could not deliver the package as they did not know the unit number (refer to statement about the contact number). It was pointed out to me that they had driven all the way out to this address to deliver this package and were not able to deliver the package, so they had to drive the package all the way back to the FedEx center so that they could research the correct unit. Foolish me, I thought they had a truck packed full of packages that were to be delivered to the same general area and when they were all delivered they drove back to the FedEx location so that the truck could be reloaded for the next day. Apparently, in this area they load and deliver one package at a time, deliver it and then the driver leaves the truck and walks back to the FedEx center.

$14.00-Additional handling charge. It was explained to me that this package could not be processed on their automated conveyor system and had to scanned in "by hand". The package was a standard shipping tube 36" X 4" X4". When asked if this was a charge that was levied on all shipping tubes, he had no answer. 

$4.00-Charge for delivering to a residence. This was initially part of the original charge. Apparently going to the same place twice counts as delivering to 2 separate residences.

$5.95-Charge was assessed because it was being delivered during a "peak" delivery period. The package was shipped on October 29th. Who knew that Halloween caused such an upsurge in deliveries?

$5.42-Fuel surcharge. This charge as like the residential charge is levied in the original cost of delivery. 

Total Extra charges of $47.37 on a $15+ delivery.

Take care when giving out shipping addresses to make sure they are complete.

Bill

Hi Bill,

This is the typical stuff folks dont realize about vending...in additional to all the time spent on necessities.

Regarding the post office, I use them when I`m shipping west of the Rockies, or south of the Mason Dixon line, or farther east than PA, from here in the midwest. Their flat rate shipping options USUALLY work out to be less expensive as compared to the other shipper I use when shipping to farther destinations.  I never use Fed Ex, so my comparisons are the USPS vs. UPS. This is true ONLY for the post office flat rate option....their priority mail options are ALWAYS more expensive as compared to UPS, especially when adding insurance.

I can relate a very recent and similar experience I had with UPS...I neglected to put a unit number on a very large, unorthodox package which I shipped to CA. A clerk from UPS called me person to person from the facility closest to the destination and informed me they couldnt deliver. I was presented with two options: call the recipient and arrange for pickup which was very close to the destination or use the tracking tool to elaborate on the address for immediate delivery. I called my customer and he picked up while running errands. This is a good example why I use Buster Brown for the majority of my shipments.

I didnt realize Fed Ex only bills after delivery because I dont use them...sounds like a blank check before rendering service to me...definitely not a business model I`m interested in as a customer.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bill,

This is the typical stuff folks dont realize about vending...in additional to all the time spent on necessities.

Regarding the post office, I use them when I`m shipping west of the Rockies, or south of the Mason Dixon line, or farther east than PA, from here in the midwest. Their flat rate shipping options USUALLY work out to be less expensive as compared to the other shipper I use when shipping to farther destinations.  I never use Fed Ex, so my comparisons are the USPS vs. UPS. This is true ONLY for the post office flat rate option....their priority mail options are ALWAYS more expensive as compared to UPS, especially when adding insurance.

I can relate a very recent and similar experience I had with UPS...I neglected to put a unit number on a very large, unorthodox package which I shipped to CA. A clerk from UPS called me person to person from the facility closest to the destination and informed me they couldnt deliver. I was presented with two options: call the recipient and arrange for pickup which was very close to the destination or use the tracking tool to elaborate on the address for immediate delivery. I called my customer and he picked up while running errands. This is a good example why I use Buster Brown for the majority of my shipments.

I didnt realize Fed Ex only bills after delivery because I dont use them...sounds like a blank check before rendering service to me...definitely not a business model I`m interested in as a customer.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have never had a problem in the past with the after delivery billing. It always came in as quoted or slightly lower. That is good to know that UPS will call you. I had assumed that FedEx would do the same. We have a UPS hub here in town. It is further away for me than the FedEx drop off which is why I usually used FedEx or USPS whenever possible. I will definitely change my thinking on this. I don't want to go through this aggravation again.

Bill

46 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

This is a good example why I use Buster Brown for the majority of my shipments.

Tom

C'mon now Tom, some of us know the real reason you use Buster Brown. 😉 

Emulating the comments by Tom and Gene, this is just one example of why parts vending is not as glamorous and lucrative as some might think. Its so easy to make a misstep when completing the online shipping labels either an entry error or incorrect info from buyer. Really have to scrutinize every tiny detail but even then you'll get gigged once in awhile. I've already carefully input all info into the online calculator and got a shipping quote for an overseas shipment. Told buyer, he paid that day. The next day I put the exact same info in to print label and the price was higher enough that I was not making anything on the sale. Apparently new rates went into effect overnight.

FedEx is my last resort and typically only use them if the buyer insists. FedEx uses a lot of private sub contractors for delivery. Some are very good but I know a couple of these people and cringe when I think what they are responsible for.

Bill it was fortunate that your package was not lost considering what happened.

I was in the mailing, shipping, parcel handling business for 31 years and earned a certified consultant designation. I still make a lot of mistakes. Many private express statutes and postal regs to keep fresh in your mind.

The fees you pay from private carriers for not following the rules are assesorial (sp?)fees. Make sure address hygiene is clean by checking with USPS on line making sure your address is correct. A USPS online account is good to have.

Im not in love with any private carrier, but the USPS is near and dear to me.

I use a freight forwarder who shops all the rates for different carriers and let my choose the carrier. Ive found the freight forwarder is over all the lowest price to ship. It seems when I take the parcel to the shipping depot and the company clerk always charges more than the freight forwarder.

Insurance on the package? I let the buyer make the insurance determination. The buyer needs the insurance , not me the sender. Lost or damaged? I let the buyer file the claim with the carrier for damages.

The software is 2 million times better with my freight forwarder than the USPS and the others.

I don’t move that many packages but  shipping can eat up your time.

Turbinstor

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Don’t even get me started on selling things on eBay and all the new changes not so friendly to sellers. Although I recently became aware of their Global Shipping Program that has me ship to Kentucky and they do all the paperwork. People scam and nickel and dime over super rare parts. The best part of it all is that our money is worth less and less each day. Ok, thanks for the venting session. Thanks for the heads up. I don’t use FedEx personally.

7 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Foolish me, I thought they had a truck packed full of packages that were to be delivered to the same general area and when they were all delivered they drove back to the FedEx location so that the truck could be reloaded for the next day. Apparently, in this area they load and deliver one package at a time, deliver it and then the driver leaves the truck and walks back to the FedEx center.

So much for being environmentally friendly in their logistics or, lack of.

I'm still trying to find the cheapest way to ship the Riv's 30 lb steering box. So far, the rates exceed the core charge!

Also, Courier companies think their Customers want their various forms of express service or, make you think so.

I've found resto parts vendors prefer UPS. Here in Canada, we hate them, full of hardship fees. We get nailed big time. Fedex was the last major shipper within reason. But somewhere around 2017, they changed thier Ts & Cs and rates to be like all the rest.

I'm not sure if this is still the case. But, as a receiver, I stipulate P/U at the courier's Airport Depot. I did this with my interior as Clark's Corvair did not do my preferred USPS & Canada Post. A slight savings but this avoided having me deal with a driver who is basically a collection man.

I don't do vending but, I will be down sizing in the coming years. Many things to sort. Then chuck and list the remainder in local and Riview classifieds for local pickup - Cheap!

I feel your pain Bill!

56 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

So much for being environmentally friendly in their logistics or, lack of.

I'm still trying to find the cheapest way to ship the Riv's 30 lb steering box. So far, the rates exceed the core charge!

Also, Courier companies think their Customers want their various forms of express service or, make you think so.

I've found resto parts vendors prefer UPS. Here in Canada, we hate them, full of hardship fees. We get nailed big time. Fedex was the last major shipper within reason. But somewhere around 2017, they changed thier Ts & Cs and rates to be like all the rest.

I'm not sure if this is still the case. But, as a receiver, I stipulate P/U at the courier's Airport Depot. I did this with my interior as Clark's Corvair did not do my preferred USPS & Canada Post. A slight savings but this avoided having me deal with a driver who is basically a collection man.

I don't do vending but, I will be down sizing in the coming years. Many things to sort. Then chuck and list the remainder in local and Riview classifieds for local pickup - Cheap!

I feel your pain Bill!

PM Tom Telesco. He has come up with a system to ship steering boxes using a USPS flat rate box. He does it all the time. I know USPS rates have gone up but, that method should still be quite reasonable comparatively. If not, bite the bullet and pay the core charge. When I got my box from Tom I paid the core charge and then sold my box. I felt this was more economical than paying for shipping the core to Tom. Basically, it was a wash. I don't know the condition of your old box. Mine was still good.

Bill

Bill

• Thanks 1

Yeah, large flat rate box is about $23.00. From Ct. to Ca. the same $23.00.  Had one arrive to Ca. from Ct.in 2 days.

As we get closer to the Holiday shipping madness I will usually not ship anything after the 10th. of Dec. & not before Jan. 10th.

Has worked well for me with no problems.

Tom T.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

When I got my box from Tom I paid the core charge

I purposely purchased a steering box for $60 CAD from a parts car that had an KX engine to use as a core.

Canada Post has flat rate as well but within Canada only.

I will bite the bullet and and just send it off. I don't need a 3rd steering box.

A tighter steering box will be a Christmas gift to myself although I won't see it until well into the NY. No rush, snow will be here 'till April.

Did the billing people give you a verbal rundown of those charges? I have been in similar phone conversations where the vendor representative became embassed and dropped the charges. I may have used a couple of keywords but we ended up on the same page.

I have a formulaic method of forming my (many) opinions. The big input into my shipping opinion, USPS, FEDEX, UPS, or whatever has been my observation of the tracking. I would be ashamed to show the paths some of this stuff takes. It's like I handed the package to John Steinbeck when he got on The Wayward Bus.

Wisconsin to California, huh. At least they didn't mention a problem at the wall. That will be coming soon.

782473042_BorderWall.png.501e49e23db6287ee0adbc4dfa448fb8.png

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Did the billing people give you a verbal rundown of those charges? I have been in similar phone conversations where the vendor representative became embassed and dropped the charges. I may have used a couple of keywords but we ended up on the same page.

I have a formulaic method of forming my (many) opinions. The big input into my shipping opinion, USPS, FEDEX, UPS, or whatever has been my observation of the tracking. I would be ashamed to show the paths some of this stuff takes. It's like I handed the package to John Steinbeck when he got on The Wayward Bus.

Wisconsin to California, huh. At least they didn't mention a problem at the wall. That will be coming soon.

782473042_BorderWall.png.501e49e23db6287ee0adbc4dfa448fb8.png

Brilliant spellers you guys are, Bernie.....

20 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Brilliant spellers you guys are, Bernie.....

A's and R's are hard, most of he right hand the of the keyboard, since the stroke. I hope you were able to piece together the concept lacking in detail as it was. And I was laughing about the border wall,