The Most Exciting 2 Minutes of (auto related) Video You'll See Today

Found this on another site and had to share it here.

If you have good computer speakers, turn them up...

"Shell Oil Commercial.

Can you just imagine the red tape, permits and cost to pull off this commercial?  Not to mention the problems of clearing all those streets and roads!

Here's a link to a Shell commercial shown in Europe.

Ostensibly, they're selling petrol, but the cars used in the video steal the show.

Ferrari pulled several of their race cars from various ages out of storage, flew them around the world and filmed them running through the streets of Rome, Rio, New York, Hong Kong, Honolulu and Monaco!

No computer graphics, these are the original cars on the original streets.

The best part is the sound from the basso-profundo notes of the early, front-engine era, each scene cuts to a later generation, ending with the wail of a modern F1 car.

Even if you're not a gear head, this video will stir the soul.   There's just something about 3 litres and 14,000 RPM!"

Great video, love the cars.  The commercial may be 12-13 years old judging from the dates of the comments on YouTube.

My younger daughter works for Shell.  She's ready for the next time they film a similar commercial - using Studebakers, of course.

1090697005_AmandainStudebakersm.jpg.65fb07bade1a128345afd7762657c21e.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you! Something the electric people will never understand. 

Bob

I don't know about that that Bob, 0 to 60 in 1.9 secs. While the video Greg shared was pretty awesome don't think for one second that the electric cars have no power because they are silent, I went for a test ride and I could not move out of my seat, I was pinned! and very impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NmmVzxBU8  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Did some "road" testing in two 4.4 liter 4-cam V12s earlier today and although their redline is only at 7700 RPM (one was actually tested up to 8200 in a dyno right after rebuild), I kept shifting conservatively between 6K-7K RPM range, in which they still sound quite delicious.

While I didn't video record any of these "test sessions" since they were mainly for A/C design improvements I've developed for these cars, I did replenish fuels for both at a Shell station. 😉

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:29 PM, GregLaR said:

Can you just imagine the red tape, permits and cost to pull off this commercial?  Not to mention the problems of clearing all those streets and roads!

Probably nothing different than location filming for any other commercial or movie.

BTW, like most commercials and movies, this one also seems to feature some CGI and heavy (speed enhancement & sound) editing. 😉 

Still a super cool compilation though. 

13 hours ago, TTR said:

Probably nothing different than location filming for any other commercial or movie.

BTW, like most commercials and movies, this one also seems to feature some CGI and heavy (speed enhancement & sound) editing. 😉 

Still a super cool compilation though. 

I was noticing the shots through Times Square, I guess with with computers anything is possible. I worked there for close to 20 years. and the only time it was pretty empty from people and traffic was real early Sunday Mornings. Still pretty cool

Here is some of the best point of view footage I know of. Completely Vintage cars , all late 1960's , early 1970's at Spa. Modern tires and car / track safety. 

Camera car is a early 1970's , British Chevron. 2 liter Ford Cosworth , NO turbo, just injection. Several of the other cars use American V8's . Watch him devour the Corvettes, and P cars.

Sorry E car fans, NO tire smoke. On a course like this at these speeds you actually want to survive the event. Tire smoke means you are probably leaving the track surface and headed for the dirt, trees and safety barriers. 

And yes, a very good driver!

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Here is some of the best point of view footage I know of. Completely Vintage cars , all late 1960's , early 1970's at Spa. Modern tires and car / track safety. 

Camera car is a early 1970's , British Chevron. 2 liter Ford Cosworth , NO turbo, just injection. Several of the other cars use American V8's . Watch him devour the Corvettes, and P cars.

Sorry E car fans, NO tire smoke. On a course like this at these speeds you actually want to survive the event. Tire smoke means you are probably leaving the track surface and headed for the dirt, trees and safety barriers. 

And yes, a very good driver!

Quite cool !

I've seen few similar (private, i.e. not on internet) onboard videos and commented to those who filmed them that they could/would be more relatable to a casual viewer if the footage/imagery included some sort of "embedded"(?) visuals for ongoing speed and tachometer reading.

Does any amateur level onboard camcorders have such capabilities, at least for the speed via GPS/satellite tracking (since most race cars usually don't have a speedometer) ?

There is another video on utube with the same driver ; one of the fastest in modern vintage / historic racing, at the wheel of a McLaren M8 C fitted with a Cosworth DFV instead of the typical Chevy V8. That footage has speed read outs, KPH. Sound quality isn't as good as this clip ,

The DFV was Cosworth's mainstay Formula One engine of the 1970's . In essence two of the 4 cyl Cosworth's that power this Chevron. One of the truly great Formula 1 engines. The car was put together for Vintage Racing, one of the first drivers, Chris Craft { also an extremely accomplished driver } once commented how nice the car was to drive without the Aluminum V8 Chevy , big block right behind him trying to rip the car apart. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)