Worst spaces ever.

terry54999

Let me star by saying, I had a great time this year, and I couldn't be happier returning to Hershey. That said, I ended up with spaces in the red field next to the far right side of the old coliseum. that section of the show was about 20% capacity as far as venders, and 10% capacity of spectators. I cant speak for anyone else, but, there were plenty of good spaces empty in the chocolate field. Perhaps as vendor attendance declines, as we all know it will over time, we could consolidate. Just a suggestion. Terry  

• Like 1

Terry, the region is aware but amazingly enough some of the vendors in that field have told the region they do not want to move.  There has been a lot of thought about this particular field.  Again, as far as I know all the Chocolate Field spaces were paid for.  Several reasons why they were not occupied this year.  That being said, if you want to move, request that when you send in your renewal for 2022.

• Like 1

Worst spaces?  I thought we had them. 

We were tucked in next to an enclosed trailer that went out all the way to the aisle essentially blocking view of our For Sale items to anyone walking north. 

To the north of us were four spaces unused by a larger vendor that 'everyone' around us used for parking.  In fact, there were two vehicles parked in our space when we arrived.  Wed thru Friday large aka F350 trucks were blocking the view of anyone walking south. 

The best part?  Friday afternoon the vendor across the aisle to the north packed up to leave and he dragged his trash over in front of our space.  The bag containing his pee bucket spilled all over the walking aisle and we had to smell it (think untreated outhouse) while packing our parts. 

Wonderful, just wonderful. 

We love Hershey, had a great time, spent a lot of $$$$, visited friends we haven't seen in a couple years, etc. but will definitely NOT be back in those spaces again next year.  New spaces or no spaces. 

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)

I was in the Red field for  16 years, till I finely got out and got new spaces in the Green field.  Some of the problems with the Red Field were a lack of food venders ( there was only one food vender in the back by me, selling $8 hot dogs.)  Also not being near the car car corral or the exit's for the parking lots also hurt.  Getting out of the Red Field was good, in the past three years all the venders around me and a large well known club also also moved out. 

I think the people who want to stay in the Red Field are people who don't sell much and want a place to park their motor home, that's nice and quiet!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been in the extreme NE corner of the Red Field for some years, was this year too. IF people know what you have is what they seek then they will "walk the walk" . I did very well . A little less traffic due to the lower attendance in general, but no complaints. If I can sell enough to pay for the weeks expenses _ all of them, then I am happy, give me and my son a "free" vacation to the place we love and get to see people in person. Some people around us did relocate to be closer to the "in" crowd? But the entrance and exit to where we are is easy and no hassle. Works for me.

Happiest buyer was a 29 year old guy from Colorado ( perhaps his first time?) who bought a brass era hubcap for a Thomas from me and seemed to be very very pleased.

• Like 2

I guess the part of the Red Field, I was in, it seems nobody "know what you have is what they seek, then they will walk the walk."   How do you get people who are coming from all the over the country and the world, to know what you have and that it is what they seek???  

On 12/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, 32tatra said:

I guess the part of the Red Field, I was in, it seems nobody "know what you have is what they seek, then they will walk the walk."   How do you get people who are coming from all the over the country and the world, to know what you have and that it is what they seek???  

You can mention it here on the forums, there are enough people who look here that reside in the USA (as well as Europe and Canada when they open the borders again) that will seek you out.  If you discuss or comment on a lot of topics and it is mostly of certain types of items ( hubcaps, mascots, emblems , carburetors etc) that is what you will have for sale. I believe there is also a topic or thread started to let people know where you will be and what you will have.....................The program that is listing all the vendors also breaks down what they have for sale. You have to do your homework if you are a buyer - if you are a seller make a sign that is easily read and doesn't list to much to read. Example : LITERATURE FOR SALE - Post War. ( or pre war, or pre 1920 etc etc. )

On 12/20/2021 at 6:52 PM, 32tatra said:

I agree. "You won't know if you don't go!"  

I make an effort to try and see on and under ALL tables while at a swap meet.

Craig

It's a treasure hunt.  If nobody is buying your stuff, close up, go hunting and buy something you don't need.  Personally, I've always enjoyed the red field.  Spent some quality time there this past fall visiting old friends and came away with some nice additions to my collection(s). 

Terry

• Thanks 1

The problem is,  the items I sell is where the money I use to buy something I do not need, comes from  The problem with my old spots in the Red field which were near the Pierce Arrow clubs spots.  Was the amount of traffic of people coming down the aisle.   Wed was great, Thursday morning was good, Thursday afternoon so-so and Friday you  could see tumbleweeds coming down the aisle.  The problem was not being near the car corral, not being near, the exit for the parking lot and having no food vender near by.  Matter of fact, I walked by my old Red Field spots this past year and they were empty.  The tag on the ground said reserved, meaning nobody was using them.

The real car people come on Wed and Thursday morning, by Thursday afternoon, you get a lot of the looky-loo's and Friday that is all you get.  Tuesday you get the dealers, looking to buy from you cheap, so they can take it to there spot and mark it up.   I find that when you don't come down to the price they offer, they get upset!!   It is amazing to me, that these people think I went though, all the work of loading my truck and driving hours to get  to the show, just to  sell them something for a loss!!

I have spots now in the Green Field  and they are much better then the Red Field.  Sadly for 6 years I was in the old Green field, best there was.  Almost as good has when you had just the blue and red field.

Edited by 32tatra (see edit history)

On 12/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, 32tatra said:

The real car people come on Wed and Thursday morning, by Thursday afternoon, you get a lot of the looky-loo's and Friday that is all you get.  Tuesday you get the dealers, looking to buy from you cheap, so they can take it to there spot and mark it up.   I find that when you don't come down to the price they offer, they get upset!!   It is amazing to me, that these people think I went though, all the work of loading my truck and driving hours to get  to the show, just to  sell them something for a loss!!

I have spots now in the Green Field  and they are much better then the Red Field.  Sadly for 6 years I was in the old Green field, best there was.  Almost as good has when you had just the blue and red field.

I can agree with what you say, especially the part about dealers who want to buy from you for 10 cents on the dollar and then get upset you do not sell to them . My standard response is "thanks for looking see you ". They get the hint which probably makes them even more arrogant. Like you state - we are there to serve them all so they can be happy , but that is the attitude of 50% of the people today. You have it, I want it/need it , so GIMMIE. 🙄 Totally clueless and self centered.

But that being said I agree with Terry, even if I only come home with one "treasure" it is worth the time, labor, and cost and has been since I first attended in 1965 when it was a one day event. Every year I look forward to seeing some great friends who stroll by - Randy Ema, Eric Haartz, John Lowell ,Hank Manwell, and so many others who live some distance away - plus new ones that I have had contact with (via the forums or email) that meeting in person justifies that they are as crazy as I am 🙃- Steve Moskowitz, A.J. San Clemente, Jonathan Serikowski and many others ,  It is all about the people, always has been always will be for me. Meeting long time friends and the new ones and remembering the ones that have passed but made a big impression that will last forever.

Walt

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, Walt G said:

I have been in the extreme NE corner of the Red Field for some years, was this year too. IF people know what you have is what they seek then they will "walk the walk" . I did very well . A little less traffic due to the lower attendance in general, but no complaints. If I can sell enough to pay for the weeks expenses _ all of them, then I am happy, give me and my son a "free" vacation to the place we love and get to see people in person. Some people around us did relocate to be closer to the "in" crowd? But the entrance and exit to where we are is easy and no hassle. Works for me.

Happiest buyer was a 29 year old guy from Colorado ( perhaps his first time?) who bought a brass era hubcap for a Thomas from me and seemed to be very very pleased.

I am about 250' away from Walt's spaces. My buddies and I some years we eat steaks every night and drink top shelf stuff for free, and some years we pay, regardless we still eat and drink well and most important we have fun! The stuff we have is totally different from Walt's, but the fact that Paul's Chrome and TIP Sandblasters is our small section plus the parking entrance brings a lot of traffic. Everyone who thinks their spot is bad try a different presentation. True, not much is going to help the only vendor sitting alone in the middle of an empty field.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2022 at 6:04 PM, trimacar said:

Holy NOS parts at 1960 prices, I want a spot next to the steaks and top shelf...uhhh, I mean, next to you guys since you sound so nice....

We save the steaks for the restaurants' but there is always a bottle of top shelf something floating around some where at the end of the day, got to have fun