Johnd1956's Buicks

JohnD1956

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Did the 94 octane gas improve/eliminate the pinging?

Mostly, but not entirely, and until I can run this and another tankful I am not going to worry about it.  It's minute compared to when I was very concerned.  It can pull the test hill at part throttle and does not ping unless I open it WOT.  

To be fair it still does have a half a dose of that octane booster with 12 gallons of the previous tankful.  Considering that booster bottle was supposed to treat 25 gallons the half dose is close to its full strength. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

That's good; it sounds like it may just be carbon build-up.

That's what @Ben Bruce aka First Born said a while ago.  And it is likely he was right.  But it was also a combination of the 2003 points set, the several vacuum leaks, a sticky thermostat that eventually stuck, and the sticky centrifugal advance from lack of lubrication, too.  I used it several times today and was very pleased with how it is currently performing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Super ran great on the 700 mile round trip to Morgantown. A few adjustments had to be made when I got home. Had to turn the Bowden cable sheath at the wiper motor to clear the coordinator on the wiper motor. Had to lubricate the gas pedal linkage at the firewall passage, and taking @old-tanks advice I swapped out the gas filter and its spring clamps for a new filter with screw clamps. So it is on the docket for Spokane. 🤞

• Like 10

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Glad to hear that she is performing well.  She was just telling you she wanted more drive time!  ;)

Could be!  And as a bonus I met a guy who solved my mid speed range vibration that I never figured out.  Turns out it was resonance from the hood bumpers failing to contact the front outer corners of the hood. I have that with a temporary fix at this point. I always thought it was a mechanical  thing.   It sure feels different now. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Turns out it was resonance from the hood bumpers failing to contact the front outer corners of the hood.

Well, that's interesting - aerodynamic 'flutter' I guess.  Goldie has a funny intermittent squeak that I usually only hear as I turn onto my street.  Recently I traced that to the hood rubbing against one of the rubber cushions along the top of the fender.  Come to think of it, I heard a weird 'chirping' on the way to Rhinebeck that caused me to pull off at a nearby Thruway service plaza.  Turns out it was that same hood noise.  I guess I need to check the front bumper/hood stop adjustment on my Riviera...  ;)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EmTee said:

That's the nicest looking winter rat I have ever seen!  :P

What exactly is it?

It is an Envista, Buicks newest model.  It is an entry level Crossover.  Unconventional, for a Buick, but I am tending to like it.  

It is a 3 cylinder, 1.2 liter with a turbocharger.  Sounds ridiculous, right!?  Yet it is surprisingly peppy.  Easily blends into Thruway traffic.  keeps up without any sweat, and is rather comfortable to drive.  It is only front wheel drive, which I wanted, is Buick quiet, and although the lowest level model ( The Preferred level) it is equipped with enough options to feel like it is a much higher level model.  The best part was I did not have to sell or trade in the Regal GS.  

It isn't for everyone, but I am satisfied with it.  It just feels "right" for me. 

• Like 6

Thank you for the photos of your new Buick, here in France we don't know the new Buick models, and some people don't know this brand (I'm talking about people who don't like cars. An enthusiast knows this brand).
It is beautiful, and as you say, it seems to be a high-end car.
The engine seems small, a bit like here in Europe... :(
I would definitely see a V8 7L  on this Buick ! :D 

• Haha 2

Do you have a photo of your 1999 Buick ?
Here in France I have only seen a Buick station wagon from the early 1990s, they are rare!
Here is a photo found on the internet of the same Buick station wagon that I saw : 

Roadmaster-SW-05.jpg.b2ea451ac26bc85e61feea9d9711f1f2.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-buick-roadmaster-7/

Did you often see these Buicks (like in the photo) from the 90s on the road? Are they rare in America ?

I love this Buick station wagon, I find it magnificent ! :wub: :wub: :wub:

@sebastienbuick that full sized wagon is very different from mine. They were not that rare in my area of the States. But I suspect many have not survived the decades.

Mine is the much smaller Century.  A V6, 3300 with front wheel drive. These were not rare either and I have seen two others in the vicinity of my home.  But again, not many survived the decades. 

20231130_133124.jpg20231130_143239.jpg20231130_133056.jpg

• Like 5

The interested buyer is also looking for a winter car. So, no, I don't think it will be saved. But he did say it will be needed 3 days a week and will be garaged when not in use. Thats a better track record than what I put it through. 😗

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

The interested buyer is also looking for a winter car. So, no, I don't think it will be saved. But he did say it will be needed 3 days a week and will be garaged when not in use. Thats a better track record than what I put it through. 😗

Okay, it's good that it's still used and still running :)

I don't know if you knew this model, but here in France there was no Buick Park Avenue in the 90s (only imported), but Renault had made the Renault Laguna.
And the Laguna was the great French Sedan of the 90s.
They have a few things in common: Large sedan, comfortable, very solid engine, quiet, and the high-end version has a lot of options, leather interior, etc., and there is also a version with the V6. And they look a bit similar too.
here's a photo

20220920_143741-scaled.jpg.19dcdcee55ce9d6f4d23e66037326781.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:
  2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The interested buyer is also looking for a winter car. So, no, I don't

I don't know if you knew this model, but here in France there was no Buick Park Avenue in the 90s (only imported), but Renault had made the Renault Laguna.
And the Laguna was the great French Sedan of the 90s.

I do not know that model. Do you know if any were exported to the USA?  What does the rest of it look like?  It is similar to GM sedans of the 1991 and up vintage. Looks like a nice vehicle. How reliable were they?  My impression of the Renaults from the 70's was likely tainted by the dreams of owning an American muscle car. And without any evidence of their faults I just had a bad impression of the brand.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Here's what I think of when someone says they saw a Laguna!  ;)

image.png.1dc72fa1671dbcc51d97c67e009806a2.png

Woaww beautiful ! I like :wub: :wub: !!
I didn't know the Chevrolet Laguna, it looks like the Chevelle of the same year :)

3 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

I purchased my Laguna brand new in 1973, great car except the rust

Bob

you are very lucky, I would really like to see the cars, Chevrolet, Buick , ... , dealership,  buildings, in the 70s :) 

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I do not know that model. Do you know if any were exported to the USA?  What does the rest of it look like?  It is similar to GM sedans of the 1991 and up vintage. Looks like a nice vehicle. How reliable were they?  My impression of the Renaults from the 70's was likely tainted by the dreams of owning an American muscle car. And without any evidence of their faults I just had a bad impression of the brand.  

No, I don't think there were any Renault Lagunas imported into America. French vehicles were imported into America until 1985 I believe, and the Renault Laguna dates from the early 1990s (phase 1 was produced until 1999 (if I'm not mistaken) and there were some modification between 1990 and 1999).
The Renault Laguna (and the Renault Safrane too) are solid cars, they can cover a lot of kilometers/miles and we still see them on the road.
Someone in my town has a beautiful Laguna V6 Dark Blue with Renault aluminum rims, it is in very good condition.
I like the Laguna because it reminds me a lot of the Buick Park Avenue.

For the quality of Renaults, it's true that there is a rumor/bad reputation and in France we say "with Renault, always a new noise", or "buy a Renault and go back on a bike", ...
But this is not for all models.
Renault is a brand for everyone, for small budgets and big budgets. There is low end and high end.
The Renault cars that have a bad reputation will be the low-end cars.
The Renault Laguna, Safrane, 19, Mégane, Clio , ... are good cars, reliable and solid :) 

• Like 3

Interesting info in the Renault. I understand the Renaults of the early 1900's had a good reputation but I can't say that with any authority. 

Had good news today. The 92 Wagon was sold. I probably should have asked a higher price? 😁😄

I hope the new owner gets a lot of good miles out of it. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

It took me a while to get started on replacing the upper control arm bushings on the GS but after 10 days it is finally back on the ground ready for a test drive tomorrow.  Only the uppers were done at this point but it appears to be squeak-less in Glenville..as of now. Will see tomorrow.  

20240209_184639.jpg

• Like 5

John, I have a 60's car that is notorious for squeaky upper A-frames, even when not worn.  I have to routinely inject grease into them and let the grease work it's way into the joints during drive time before the squeak disappears.  I don't have a good track record of driving that car enough though.  I restored that car 10 years ago and it now only has 10,000 miles on it.  I also switched grease to the red and tacky stuff and I seem to have longer durations between grease injections.

• Like 1

@kgreen  I hope I don't have that experience.  And, in so far as I know, that is not really how control arm bushings are supposed to work.  According to what I have been told, the metal sleeves of the bushings are supposed to be locked, by the pressure of the nuts against the arm and the control arm shaft, and when the control arm moves the bushing should flex.  Indeed, each bushing I removed had been rusted to the control arm shaft with no indication that they had been rotating on the shaft.  Also there was no indication on the outside of the bushing indicating rotation of the bushing against the control arm.  Under that scenario, I don't think grease can help remove the squeak. 

If grease is helping to remove the squeak, then it would seem to me that the bushing would be causing wear either on the control arm shaft or the control arm itself.  The bushing itself should be dense enough that it is impervious to the grease. 

I sometimes noticed the GS squeaking the most when first started and moved out of the driveway.  But after a short while it seemed to stop, which I believed was caused by engine heat warming the bushing material.  However I am sure I just couldn't hear the squeaking as I usually use this car topless.  On my last drive I caught the squeaking as I returned to my driveway, leading me to think I HAD to address the bushings this year!  I did have them here for several years and just dreaded the job.  I wasn't even going to do it myself.  But when my local garage never returned my call about it, I decided to give it a try.  As I did it, I saw why they didn't want to do it.  BTW, it took me 8 days to do the passengers side first, with many lessons learned.  It was only 2 days to do the driver's side, but I did get the arm off, insert the new parts, and returned the control arm to the car on the first of the two days.  I am not sure I'd do this job again.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Aren't the rings too small ? Are the dimensions the same with another ring manufacturer?

??  I am not sure what you are asking about. 

• Like 1

Rubber upper control arm bushings only allow movement by the flexing of the rubber. The rubber is bonded to the shell and core. Any that squeak have broken loose and are bad. The bolts must be tightened with the car on the ground sitting at normal ride height, or the bushings will get over-stressed and break free.

Urethane aftermarket bushings are intended to move on the shell and core. They have a tendency to squeak. Many different methods are used to prevent squeaking like graphite in the urethane mix, grease fittings, etc. They do move so they can squeak.

Screw-type bushings on a threaded shaft can and do squeak if there is not enough grease. I guess it depends on what you are working on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, speaking for my own car, the GS's  were the original equipment. So I am certain they were the proper size. I  cant say why they squeaked except there was some tearing on the flanges. The rubber had not separated from the sleeves. 

Of note though is my car still has the original springs. They have undoubtedly sagged over the years and thus the original ride height was changed. This does result in twisting the bushings further than anticipated, so that could be part of the squeaking also. 

• Like 5