Gasket for a Stewart vacuum tank

gundog99

If you use the correct locktite (brand) maybe. Not the thread lock.

I suggest that black (dark brown) gasket sealer that NAPA sells. Its a great sealer for threaded parts. Also makes for easy disassembly down the road.

The major issue with the Stewart Vacuum tank is the cracking or breaking up of the pot metal top. As Doug says, please, “DO NOT LOCTITE ANYTHING”

Permatex non hardening Aviation form a gasket sealer is very good, use sparingly as it stays sticky and is difficult to remove from clothing, skin etc.

A930FD62-7689-4A7D-8523-91D25D4145E9.jpeg.022e83a0a380dd804a8cf021b847edaf.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Yes Ron, some have one and others two. I don't know which one he has but they are sold as a pair.

Doug, Yes  that's correct From the information that I have managed to absorb from yesteryear books the early tanks used 2 gaskets and the later tanks only one If the tank on Gundogs car is the same as mine it should only be the one  

Just buy the rebuild kits that are offered. It’s very easy to plug the vent channel............don’t overthink a 1915 design. The thing is open to atmosphere 98% of the time, no need for any type of sealer. 

Look here.......  http://www.classicpreservation.com/vactankkits.html

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Minibago said:

The major issue with the Stewart Vacuum tank is the cracking or breaking up of the pot metal top. As Doug says, please, “DO NOT LOCTITE ANYTHING”

Permatex non hardening Aviation form a gasket sealer is very good, use sparingly as it stays sticky and is difficult to remove from clothing, skin etc.

A930FD62-7689-4A7D-8523-91D25D4145E9.jpeg.022e83a0a380dd804a8cf021b847edaf.jpeg

I use this stuff on most threads. And gaskets.

Makes things seal and easy to get loose down the road.

But yes, sticky and takes lacquer thinner to clean up.

• Like 2