1917 d45 rim needed

Patrick J Reeve

I have a 1916 D-45 and the 1917 D-45 share the same wheels.  They are Baker wheels and the standard wheel was 24 inches.  There was a factory option for 26 inch wheels on these cars.  In the 58+ years that I have been exposed to these Buick models I have never, ever seen a D-Series car with the 26 inch wheels.  Please check your tire size and let us know what you have.  If you have a car with the 26 inch wheels then you just might have the only one in captivity.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

3 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

What do I have??

Something that's difficult to find tires for. :D

I should know. I have a non-Buick that takes that size. I have been looking for some 34x4 tires good enough to roll the chassis around the shop for several years now.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Bob,

You most definitely get the Gold Star for the day.  The standard wheel size for these cars was 24 inches.  The standard tread was 56 inches.  The sales brochures that I have lists optional wheel size as 26 inches and an optional tread width of 60 inches.  If I were you I would check the tread on the rear axle since you have 26 inch wheels.  You may have a rarity on your hands.  I remember the late Dave Chambers telling me that larger wheeled and wider tread cars were pretty much sold in the Southern part of the country to accommodate the back country farm wagon roads.  Where are you located? - OH, you're in Virginia.  What a coincidence!  Patrick still needs to tell us what size tires are on his car.  25 inches is not the right answer for a 1917 D-45 with the correct axles on the car.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

The outside to outside of tires on the rear is 60".  I bought this car from a man in Michigan.  He owned the car for 5 years and never drove it. just kept it in a heated garage.  He bought the car from California. The car came with three sets of license plates, 1917 California, California Horseless carriage #28. (In the 50's California went to the horseless carriage plates for antique vehicles. They were sequentially numbered for the first year. After that they were unnumbered registrations.  The third set of plates was Michigan Antique plates.  I found a good home for that set of plates.  The car serial # is 191818.  Too bad it wasn't one car earlier, 191817 would have been a great number to have.

Bob Engle

Bob,

You need to have someone help you take the measurement.  You will want to get a measurement from the very center of one tire to the very center of the other tire.  This will get you close enough to tell if you have a 56 inch tread axle or a 60 inch tread axle.  I hope Patrick will tell us what the tire size is that fits the rim he is looking for.  This way he will know exactly what they are needing.  If this car that you have turns out to have 60 inch tread axles, you are going to be the owner of one very scarce D-45.  This will be the first one that I have ever heard of.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

For whatever it is worth, my 1917 D45 came on 34x4 tires (dia 26" measured as the bottom of the flat rim base what defines a "wheel /=rim/ size" when searching for a tire). My car originates from Maryland if fhat helps.

34x4 tires should be still relatively easily obtainable in several executions. Wolfgang P. in Austria has been recently selling some used tires from his 1918 car, yet this was in Europe and seems they are already gone.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/34x4-firestone-non-skid-all-black.html 

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/34x4-LUCAS-Olympic-Tread-Blackwall-410p.htm

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/34x4-Universal-Blackwall-413p.htm

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/lester-straight-sided-34x4-4-00x26

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/34x4-bf-goodrich-cord-blackwall.html 

Looking into parts catalogue dated Oct 1915 (1916 model year) it lists two versions of rear axle housings (SA housing w/ welded on tubes), #64634 for 56" thread and #64635 for 60" thread. Similarly for front axle beam, #64648 for 56" and 64649 for 60" thread. In the "DEMOUNTABLE RIMS" chapter the catalogue calls out "Demountable rim assembly, straight side, 32"x4". In the "TIRES" chapter the catalogue only calls out "Order 34"x4" straight side type". That does not seem like matching information, but supports what Terry mentioned.

Using this opportunity, I would also like to ask if anybody on this thread has an extra useable Baker 26" flat base rim that he can part with, I am missing one.....

Thanks,

Josef

baker rim lock.GIF

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Patrick Reeve needs to come back on here and tell us what the tire size is for the rim that he is needing.  The photo of the rim that Josef posted is the correct style of rim for a Baker wheel.  The 1916 and 1917 D-45's used a 24 inch wheel OR a 26 inch wheel.  Mr. Reeve, which one of these are you needing?  A 25 inch rim is not what you are needing IF you have the correct wheels on your car.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Hello everyone. I'm sorry for the slow response on here.  Between my son and I working full time and weird hours in our shop and taking care of my parents( my mother is fully disabled) it makes it difficult for me to get on the web site. Especially since I don't have a smart phone.  I put my phone number because that's the best way to get a hold of me, but I should have checked up on here before now. With all of that said, the car has 26 inch wheels.  34x4 tires.  It is also the 56 inch track width.  I really do appreciate everyones help and advice and patience also.  With all of that said,  I am still in need of a 26 rim and also a  used tire (doesn't have to be in nice shape) , Thank you , Patrick  315-663-1569  

Thank you to everyone who gave me info on this topic. I appreciate the location from Larry, hopefully we will see you in the next couple days! To pepcak - pm me if as of Tuesday night if you’re still in need of a rim. If I find more than one I can grab it for you just let me know your price range. 

• Like 1