1950 Buick restoration

Hello I have a 1950 Buick super sedan. I'm thinking of restoring the car to it's former glory. It's not a rust bucket but does have a spot of rust on the edge of the sill plate on the driver's side but the rockers, floors and frame are solid as a rock. I would like to see pictures of some members restored cars for inspiration. I know it's going to take a lot of work but I think it's worth it. Thanks.

The day after I bought and brought her home. I was proud I just bought the car. It kinda came out of nowhere. I wasn't looking for a car but something told me this would be a nice car even though I knew the paint was scruffy looking. I think within a couple years I can make it look great again. With much time and money haha. Yes I have all four center caps and trim rings. I took them off for a brief cleaning in the driveway. What do you all think of project Buick that I named Phyllis.

IMG_20200628_123105.jpg

IMG_20200628_122853.jpg

• Like 1

Nick, your car, BUT, I think it would be a shame to tear Phyllis apart. If you tear it apart, it will be 4-5 years before you can drive it again.   I believe it drives now?  Beautiful upholstery.   Perhaps an inexpensive paint job.  I did a Maaco on mine. Looks good 10 years later. 

Ben

• Like 3

Listen to what Ben states! DO not take your car apart! It doesn't need to. His advice for working on the current paint is sound - if when you do a section ( rear fenders and trunk lid for instance) and you don't like it then you can go further. Car does not need a strip down to bare metal respray. Do you have a decent size compressor? can you paint where the car is without getting your neighbors and the village mad at you? The interior/dash etc are wonderful . Spend the time trying to clean and preserve what you have.Have questions? Ask here!

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought that with the tremendous amounts of money shops charge today for the quality refinishing of antique cars the average person could buy say, a good HVLP spraying system and teach themselves how to do it. Sand, fill, prime & paint. There's definitely a learning curve but it's not that hard once you get the hang of it. If you don't have a place to do it find a friend that will let you use his garage. You have an advantage over most people as your car looks nice & straight with minimal body work needed. You can wet sand, compound, polish and buff til your arms ache and want to fall off but you'll still have those ugly brown surface rust spots and will probably not be happy with the end results. Nothing beats the look of a consistent shiny fresh repaint. Remove all the bumpers & trim (you can buff the trim yourself) and have at it. The prep is still a lot of work but IMO with a nice enough car to start with (like yours) you might be surprised what you can do yourself. 

• Like 1

You say that the paint's flaking off in chips, but paint is only a few "mils" thick. Make sure what's coming off is paint and not body filler from a previous repair. If there's Bondo under there you've got more work ahead of you. Cracked paint and crow's feet mean all the coats of paint in that area have to come off down to the bare metal. In my experiences I've come across very few old cars like yours that don't have some kind of a previous body repair somewhere. 

My car came from Huntington West Virginia and was sold new I'm Williamson by Price Chevrolet. The previous owner told me that the original owner was older and the car was cherished with the first owner and was passed down on the family until the grandson got it and the car was in a barn on the original owners property and nobody wanted it and was sent to the junkyard. It was rescued and when I took the radio out it was owned by a man named Dr price. Is anyone familiar with that area of West Virginia? That's the story I was told when I purchased it anyways.

The cars last registration sticker was in 1962. The titles are from all different years. How do west Virginia registrations work as far as the car driving on the road. Just curious as to some insight on the background of the car through the years. I like history haha

You certainly need to do something with the paint, but like others said don't go overboard. Get down to bare metal where rust is present. Use 2K (2 part epoxy type primer sealer) to stop rust from coming back. Then some filler if needed, then regular "sandable" primer then paint. Maybe by word of mouth at garages or cars shows you might find someone local that does some body and painting out of his home? Only rust areas need to go to bare metal. I'd just do some sanding of the hood and other good areas and then being going over with the primer and paint, leaving most of the original paint on. "spot priming" and bringing up the bad spots, then "respray" the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you do take the car apart, I can tell you from experience that one disassembled car takes the space of about three cars.  Make sure to leave room to work as well.  Taking the car apart has some appeal, but once that appeal wears off, you have a non-driver that takes far more energy to reassemble into drivable condition.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, Mr. Reed said:

Sorry for all the questions at once guys. 

Don't apologize for all the questions at once! We have all been there many times. It gives you something to look over for the answers and then be able to determine what you want to do first or next or drift into to get away from what you are working on to "take a break " from that. Get tired of the cleaning off rust or old paint and priming, then go degrease some mechanical parts for a while. At some point you will ask yourself " why am I doing this, why did I start" we all do . BUT know eventually you will have a sweet ride to go down the road in, and will be sharing it all with those who see you drive by........................ I have been doing this since 1964.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Reed said:

Thanks. That gives me na good feeling to start with some smaller things this winter. I don't have to do everything all at once right

ReRead what I have said and what you answered when you get to the "what am I doing - wow am I tired" stage, then sit back, read a car magazine, look at some of the other stuff other people are working on here, read the comments ( take some seriously) , and most of all look at the period images that transport you back to an era before any of us were born - except a few who won't admit that they are that old....................😆

• Thanks 1