Ivan Saxton

rocketraider

Does anyone know if Ivan is still with us? Last post I can find from him is almost a year ago. 

I have a poster in Oldsworld asking about 1935 Australian Oldsmobile door internals but unsure if it's a Holden or CKD US body.

If anyone would know, Ivan would. He had such extraordinary knowledge along with a conversational style that made you think you were chatting with an old teacher who had become a friend.

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Does anyone know if Ivan is still with us? Last post I can find from him is almost a year ago.

https://forums.aaca.org/profile/104582-ivan-saxton/

https://forums.aaca.org/profile/104582-ivan-saxton/content/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

There are a

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Does anyone know if Ivan is still with us?

Can’t find anything to suggest he isn’t

Some of the local Cadillac people might have had contact with him but I don’t personally know him sorry

I simply sent him a private message alerting him to this discussion and instead of replying to this topic, he sent me the following via private message...

"I honestly do not know who could answer that for you.  I will ask a friend who might Know.  I am just not knowledgible about modern used cars of that era.   For some time when Holden motor bodies  company were building bodies for General Motors makes that largely were imported in Chassis form, there might have been a plate on the dashboard or front of firewall which identified the local body builder.  I have a vague recollection that the mid-thirties Oldsmobile sedan we had was a colour between very pale brown and cream.  I also have distant memory that the previous family vehicle to that was a pale gray car-type Ford V8 ute, possibly about 1938 or 9.    That one probably fueled by a charcoal gas producer, because petrol was very tightly rationed .    Carbon monoxide was a very poor performance motor fuel, and of course deadly for human life if inhaled.   I, at 18 months age, was the only one injured when a Dandenong Butter Factory  milk can truck ran into us at right angles.   Nobody ever explained to me how the bone in my upper right leg was broken.   It could not have been ideal to spend very many weeks in hospital, 84 miles away from our home town.    Now, if the 35  is left hand drive it is unlikely to be an Australian made body.            If you run your eye overall the posts I have made on the forum, I specifically contribute to helpfully and politely correct  misunderstandings or misrepresentations of history or whatever.;  and show people interesting things that are not common knowledge.   A good while ago someone started a thread that raised doubts whether Hershey would run or be cancelled because of risk with the Virus .   My post was deleted, but I was trying to give people some understanding of how you can protect yourselves without risk, discomfort, or side effects. Two people were very critical of what I tried to explain. In fact, my University of Melbourne degree of Agricultural Science was probably the best education on all the biological science.   I guess Ed Minnie and Robert Smits of Texas are probably more perfect at fully restoring antique cars than I have ever wanted to be.  They were clearly giving opinion way beyond the limits of their training and expert knowledge.   The reasons this virus has harmed so many people are un brief: 1) most harm is caused by combination of the virus  and the ubiquitous pneumonia bacteria;   2) When infection by the virus is first detected, There is no direction to apply any safe and conservative treatment which will damage the ability of the virus to infect mammalian tissue nor replicate and multiply.   The same simple safe material will also penetrate the respiratory mucous in the lungs.  No counter or prescription pharmaceutical other than this can penetrate the protective mucous of pneumonia in the lungs, and kill the mucous that protects itself by inaccessibility.       I shall re-read and add or correct /amplify as needed.

Regards,   Ivan"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1