1950 Buick engine oil.

Mr. Reed

Drop the tie rod/drag link.  Rotate engine until front crank throughs are "up".   And take pictures.

I use 15-40 in mine. Takes 7 qts with filter change. I fill the filter after installing cartridge. 

Extra zinc not needed .

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)

After agonizing and researching, I use Pennzoil 10w40 on my ‘50.  Be sure to check zinc level of the new oil and probably get a zinc additive.  Also add oil to the canister because if you clean out the canister, , it will take more than 5 quarts.  If you don't know the history of the car, I would get the dynaflow serviced.  I was shocked at how clogged the screen was on my car, yet how well it ran at the same time.  Sure beats a rebuild.

No need to add Zinc to 1950 Buick oil. Today's oils are so much superior to what was sold in 1950 when they were new. There was no zinc in 1950 engine oil, API type SB.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

This is the current thoughts of oil by someone in the business. Updated to 2019. Go to Richard's site and click on Download the .pdf file.

https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s generally true that today’s oils are so much better than the older oils, and there was an old adage to use anybody’s best oil and you cant go wrong.  However today at the stores it’s very hard to find anything older that SM and certainly next to impossible to find anything more primitive than SJ.  There is a concern of damaging flat tapper engines with the new oils because of the lack of zinc on the surfaces. You have to do your own research and decide for yourself after talking with the right engineers.  Your comment about AB oil is interesting.  I’m going to look into that. 

Some of todays engineers know about the tight future gen engines and dont realize how loose and sloppy our old engines from 1940 and 1950 were.  Our old engines had lower revs and were not built to go 300k miles nor was there thought about the EPA.  Actually too much zinc is said to be bad also.

I’m no expert and there is nobody out there to help us with our old cars and its getting harder.  I just keep reading and re-visiting it.  I’m not pulling a trailer up Pike’s Peak and i never get to drive the old girl more than 500 miles annually, so its really a moot point.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)

The issue is not just the use of flat tappets, as those were in engines for years, way before oil had the first ZDDP added. The issue is loading the flat tappets with heavier springs on the valves causing wear on the camshaft. The issue raised its head with the high compression overhead valve V-8s of the early 50s. 

The straight 8 Buick was using is an older design, from before zinc additive was invented.

On 8/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, Frank DuVal said:

No need to add Zinc to 1950 Buick oil. Today's oils are so much superior to what was sold in 1950 when they were new. There was no zinc in 1950 engine oil, API type SB.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

This is the current thoughts of oil by someone in the business. Updated to 2019. Go to Richard's site and click on Download the .pdf file.

https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

Yeah man.

I dropped the pan on our 40' yesterday and instead of dropping the drag link I was able to raise the front of the car up until the tires were almost off the ground and it let the pan slip out.  I would think this might  apply to a 50' also.  

I choose to run a racing style oil with zinc in it.  Schaeffer's racing oil at a straight 40wt is what I run in our old cars.  I know oil threads are beat to death but if you have to buy the oil, why not get the best protection.  Modern engines run rollers on all the friction points but these engines still have a lot of sliding metal.  

Our 40' was half assed rebuilt 10 years ago and it had a inch and a half of sludge in it.  I know her grandpa ran regular Napa 10w30 oil but it changed hands for 8 years and doesn't appear he ever changed it.  

• Like 2

Not sure who made NAPA oil in earlier times, but their current synthetic blends are marked "product of Ashland Oil" who also make Valvoline. Me Fords seem to like it fine...

I was taught for years "oil is oil, as long as it's changed according to how the engine is used". 8 years without a change seems excessive though, even if the engine was barely used during that time.

That might be where all that sludge came from, from solids settling out in the pan from lack of use.