Anyone know what this is worth? International S-130 series cab

kkswan

So, this is an International S-130 series cab. I bought it as a project at 14, (5 years ago) with my dad. Then he buggered off and haven’t seen him since. It’s been an overwhelming sight and just really irks me. I have no idea where to start and don’t have the funds to bring it to a shop. Was wondering if anyone knew the worth because finding any information on this truck is hard. I see s-120 often but not 130. The front windshield is cracked, no motor, no seats, and half a floor. If anyone has ANY information about this truck, even what would work for a swap, let me know. Thank you! 

A15F15E2-80B3-42F3-BBC4-052871A17A56.jpeg

924F9776-A877-4F74-9EC0-A6DAFF189395.jpeg

That is a good looking truck. It would be a good project to have it running and driving.

It will never be worth a lot of money but could be re-powered with a Chevy engine and transmittion for a lot cheaper than the original one.

The windshield could be a problem finding one.

Don't give up!  (But place an ad in Craig's list for what ever you paid for it and maybe someone will relieve you of it.)

With all due respect and I apologize for being bluntly honest (with my "opinion"), but I don't see much value in this since it appears to be only a cab and some body parts.

Attempting to restore(?) it, especially back to full truck in stock configuration, will likely be excessively cost prohibitive and depending on your location, prospects of selling it "as is" may also be slim, especially when considering the cost of transportation, etc.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

The cab and nose have some value.  You wont get rich but it looks pretty darn clean.  Depending on location if it's as good as it looks, 1500-2500 wouldn't be unreasonable if it has no rust.  The paint even looks decent.  Yes it might need to be mated to a new frame/ driveline depending on what's missing but there are alot of guys starting with alot worse/ less building diesel trucks. I could see someone sticking this on a 90's Dodge Dually frame with a cummins if the dimensions are at all reasonably similar. 

Might be frowned upon on here but i would like to find a nice 30's-40's Diamond T and put a Cummins in it or better yet find someone  that has already done it and just needs some finishing.  Bonus if it's a stick. 

• Thanks 1

Found this link to S-130 spec sheet that is on eBay. Yours looks like a 1956 or an early 1957. An S130 would be a one ton truck. These had a 134 inch wheel base. 

ORIGINAL 1957 IH INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER PICKUP & PANEL TRUCK DEALER SPEC SHEET! | eBay

Just wondering how you have determined it is a S-130? Is there a data plate on the fire wall or in another spot? 

The front fenders seem to be off of a larger truck than a pick up would have. The larger trucks would have splash aprons and running boards. Agree that you need to sell what you have and get something that is a much more complete vehicle in the future. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, Dandy Dave said:

Found this link to S-130 spec sheet that is on eBay. Yours looks like a 1956 or an early 1957. An S130 would be a one ton truck. These had a 134 inch wheel base. 

ORIGINAL 1957 IH INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER PICKUP & PANEL TRUCK DEALER SPEC SHEET! | eBay

Just wondering how you have determined it is a S-130? Is there a data plate on the fire wall or in another spot? 

The front fenders seem to be off of a larger truck than a pick up would have. The larger trucks would have splash aprons and running boards. Agree that you need to sell what you have and get something that is a much more complete vehicle in the future. Dandy Dave! 

It has the badges for an s-130 series! and that’s what i was told it was. Had the old registration papers for it from a previous owner. it was registered in 1996! 

That's some good sheetmetal.  Some of it is one-year-only (if you don't count a few early '57s).  Problem is finding someone building one that needs it.  But most of these out there existing have some hard use under their belt(lines).  These were always work trucks.  not used gently.  The fenders do look correct to me for the size truck.  While this cab style ended in '56-early '57 on light trucks, it continued on for maybe another decade on their big trucks.  The windshield is not hard to find.  Go to an auto glass shop or the internet and ask for a DW142.  Still in production.  Old stock will just say W142.  The gasket is also readily available. 

The summer camp I worked for had a '56 S120 4x4 shortbed.  My favorite vehicle!  Always pulling out stupid people when they did dumb things with their vehicles in the Sierra Nevadas.

Oh, and it was this color, too.  Until my future FIL painted it CalTrans orange.

An auction on eBay or Hemmings will find out what it's worth in week or so :) I agree, someone is bound to be looking for the cab. They're great looking trucks but saw a lot of abuse, and rust got a lot of them. Lots of potential here. A 90's Dakota chassis is probably as easy way as any to get this cab on the road, though I'd love to see someone with a stock truck put this to use.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, TTR said:

I don't see much value in this since it appears to be only a cab and some body parts.

Attempting to restore(?) it, especially back to full truck in stock configuration, will likely be excessively cost prohibitive and depending on your location, prospects of selling it "as is" may also be slim, especially when considering the cost of transportation, etc.

This could be said about almost any restoration. Fortunately, this is a hobby for most car enthusiasts, and making money is not the main concern. Sheesh! Why don't golfers get the same scrutiny about the value of their golfing card at the end of the day, versus how much it cost to get.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Friend of mine had a half ton version of the same cab. He was a Chevy fan, had a few 70s and 80s Chev half tons around, he contemplated putting the body on a Chev truck chassis, said it would only require relocating a few body mounts but he never got around to it. I should think that body could be adapted to a Ford, Chev or Dodge one ton chassis. You would have to take a few measurements to be sure. Might make an interesting car hauler for a hobbyist.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Anyone know what this is worth? International S-130 series cab
21 hours ago, West Peterson said:

This could be said about almost any restoration. Fortunately, this is a hobby for most car enthusiasts, and making money is not the main concern. Sheesh! Why don't golfers get the same scrutiny about the value of their golfing card at the end of the day, versus how much it cost to get.

I wholeheartedly agree with your “golfer” analogy and for decades have used same/similar references to numerous other hobbies in which enthusiasts spend sometimes obscene amounts of money with little or nothing to recoup from or show for it. That’s what enthusiast, including myself, do. 
And as a hobbyist/enthusiast, I don’t expect ANY financial rewards from my own vintage cars, nor driving the “cr*p” out of them, hiking, traveling, attending live opera/theater performances, etc. (sorry, I’m not into golf though).

My wife seems to enjoy spending a lot of time and money on our garden, but apparently, despite some occasional cursing/cussing I hear, derives great pleasure of attending it.

My reply was merely to offer an “opinion” or “perspective” for OPs question (paraphrasing here) “what’s this worth ?”, which to me, right or wrong, came across like OP was trying to assess if the (empty) “cab” he/she possesses has any financial (resale ?) value “as is” or ….

P.S. Having personally performed numerous complete/extensive/partial restorations, both professionally and for myself, in past 4+ decades, I’m more than aware of “cost effectiveness” or lack there of associated with them and couldn’t tell how many times I’ve even tried to talk clients out of doing something, while fully aware that such effort had prospects of talking myself out of a job/work I do to earn a living.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1