Taking My 1940 56S to Charlotte and Return to Maryland

This will be an ongoing blog about a trip that I am taking going from Rockville MD to Charlotte NC and return. Leaving on 6 July. Likely return 10 July. I decided since that National got cancelled I would make to trip anyway! There are some car museums there, but I really wanted to see how the car will do on a long distance run. I will post comments and pics, hopefully near real time. First post will be on 5 July about the prep for the trip.

Cheers, Dave

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Prologue 6 July

Well it's on for tomorrow! The car is 90% packed.

146557809_20210706_2026141.jpg.4859c0dc32f2451bb15b7f931f3be55a.jpg

All this is for the car! Clothes will go into the back seat. Sorry for the huuuuge photo size. I appears my quick resizing SW has fled the scene.

Ready to go

1276898665_20210706_2025561.jpg.930deb3f6851f86f991adae4fce0f2c3.jpg

Well that is it on photos for this post. Looks like it will be > 93 degrees tmw so that will be a good test.

• Like 6

Prologue 2

Had to show this. Ben, my copilot for the trip, torquing down the front wheels (did a front brake job last week and it drastically improved things).

245287856_20210706_1308001.jpg.5bcd0f64805d2ac0cd87eaf6c49a74ad.jpg

Same guy doing the same thing 5 yrs ago (11 then, 16 now and driving!)

1306980146_20160805_160829_DaleDrive.jpg.2ebf846541acf1f5a03d1a911173a3b7.jpg

So I think we are set. Probably brought too many car parts but since this is the first long trip I am being cautious. Weather will be hot tomorrow, cooler and rain on Thurs once we get closer to Concord. Wish us luck!

Cheers, Dave

• Like 7

Dave,

Let me know if you need anything while in Charlotte. I'm traveling for work tomorrow (assuming the storm doesn't cancel my flights). but parts, tools, lift, or local names and resources are all at your disposal if needed. just let me know. Be safe and enjoy the trip.

Sounds like you are staying in Concord (where I live)

Dinner recommendations:

Carolina Ale house is good as is Bad Daddy's Burgers. Nothing fancy but good food and drink.

Razoo's is kinda fun if you like Cajun

For Ice cream (technically Custard) go to Andy's it's a chain but not a huge one.

A bit out of Concord

The Best BBQ in the Charlotte Metro is Midwood smokehouse, unfortunately there is not one in Concord. The one on Central ave is the original but parking is tough. the one in Birkdale village is more friendly to parking a 80 year old car. Get the platter so you can have the pork, ribs and brisket (and either sausage or chicken or double up on one of the 3 i noted as your fourth). The smoked wings are pretty good too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brian:

Thanks for the offer! Sorry to miss you this time, once my copilot heard you used to work for NASCAR he wanted to meet you! Anyhow, we will be in Concord until Sat AM. Thanks for the BBQ recommendation, will check it out tomorrow night!

Cheers Dave

PS I have a film of the 1940 Daytona Beach Beach/Road Race. My grandfather had it and I got it when he passed on. My grandfather thru the Daytona Exchange Club was one of the sponsors and was friends with Bill France for many years. Who should I speak to at the NASCAR museum about this?

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Day 1 Final

We got into Roxbury NC a little after 6 pm after a run of over 200 miles this afternoon. Total mileage for the day about 320 miles. Route was MD 28 to US 15 South, following all the way to intersection US 360 South at Wylliesville VA, following that to US 501 and into Roxboro. The car ran perfectly. Considering how hot it was today I was worried but nary a hiccup.

Tomorrow will be a run thru the remains of the storm into Concord.

Pics to follow

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Brian:

Thanks for the offer! Sorry to miss you this time, once my copilot heard you used to work for NASCAR he wanted to meet you! Anyhow, we will be in Concord until Sat AM. Thanks for the BBQ recommendation, will check it out tomorrow night!

Cheers Dave

PS I have a film of the 1940 Daytona Beach Beach/Road Race. My grandfather had it and I got it when he passed on. My grandfather thru the Daytona Exchange Club was one of the sponsors and was friends with Bill France for many years. Who should I speak to at the NASCAR museum about this?

I will be back in Concord tonight, so around Friday.

Day 2.    8 July 2021

Arrived safely in Concord, NC about 2:30 pm. 135 miles. Lots of rain but no car issues other than wipers sluggish at times. Dont know if it is the wiper motor or boost pump. Both have been replaced but the wiper motor was several years ago. No matter will troubleshoot after we get home.

Toured the Mustang Museum, pretty nice.

More pics to follow later tonite.

20210708_161258.jpg.f306901d716f2c0005914bbad3ebe578.jpg

Edited by Daves1940Buick56S (see edit history)
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Brian - Ben is actually the son of a neighbor. He loves old cars and started helping me work on them when he was 10. We probably want to wait on any article until we see how the second part of the drive goes lol!

oops!