walk in the south of France

7 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Salut Sebastian 

thanks , think the caravelle soft top typical french / Mediterranean car of the 60s/70s   period , which I think was also the best period for visiting the south of France , when it still maintained the special ambiance, places like st Tropaz , St Raphael, Cannes , Aix , Grasse,  je Liame beacoup 😊

I used to speak pretty good french as I had a wonderful Parisien girlfriend , who I should have married , big regret 😢 cest la vie .

A bein tot 

paul

Yes I see that you know a lot of places in France ;) , I'm also going to St trompez and Cannes this summer  :)
yes that's life, that's how it is :( 

5 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Thanks for all those excellent photos. 

Its great to see photos of cars and commercial vehicles of ALL years, which include vehicles that were never sold here in North America (except St.Pierre & Miquelon).

Craig

Thank you 8E45E :) , it is with great pleasure that I share these photos :) 

8 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Thank you 8E45E :) , it is with great pleasure that I share these photos :) 

There are two very good vintage car magazines we get here, AutoRetro, and Retro Viseur, both with excellent, full color photography.  Of course the text is in French, but I can more or less ad-lib it and get the gist of the article as I had taken some French when I was in grade school.  Both magazines feature some interesting prewar and postwar cars seen in France.

Craig

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Renault Encore

Was it a good car, was yours bought new in America or was it an import ?

Mine was an '86 1.4 liter, 4 speed stick manual. I bought it used in 1990 but it was almost like new. They were common here, many rental car companies used them in their fleets. Sold new in America, not imports. The most common one used in the rental car market was the 4 door Alliance with an automatic, and many of those were 1.7 liter.
Curbside Classic: 1986 Renault Alliance – Patina Royale | Curbside Classic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

There are two very good vintage car magazines we get here, AutoRetro, and Retro Viseur, both with excellent, full color photography.  Of course the text is in French, but I can more or less ad-lib it and get the gist of the article as I had taken some French when I was in grade school.  Both magazines feature some interesting prewar and postwar cars seen in France.

Craig

A I didn't know that it's magazines were available in America, it's two magazines are well known here in France ;) 

3 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Mine was an '86 1.4 liter, 4 speed stick manual. I bought it used in 1990 but it was almost like new. They were common here, many rental car companies used them in their fleets. Sold new in America, not imports. The most common one used in the rental car market was the 4 door Alliance with an automatic, and many of those were 1.7 liter.
Curbside Classic: 1986 Renault Alliance – Patina Royale | Curbside Classic

Ok thank you for the information I did not know.
The renault Alliance was the Renault 9 in France ;) 
This one in the photo is in good condition ;) 

Then a Citroën 2CV Coca Cola ! :D 

SAM_8734.JPG.ce50537b54652500b32a78754284c349.JPG

SAM_8733.JPG.f2ff5cf58fa918d04710bb3ae3b5d7c0.JPG

SAM_8735.JPG.4e4dce92ab28015f9073b879080eb11a.JPG

Then to finish, a very nice 1977 Chevrolet Corvette C3 arrived :) 

SAM_8736.JPG.b774835219baec40805ef6769c9eacef.JPG

SAM_8738.JPG.c0a29684a4f57c3daa9621973283f5c5.JPG

So there you have it for the photos, it was a very beautiful day with great weather :)
We did a little over 180 kilometers (112 miles).
It was a nice little walk :) 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For those who'd like to read about how a small displacement Ford L-head V8 engine ended up under the hood of a French car under Chrysler's control:

Automotive History: The Small Ford Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part Three – The Simca Years | Curbside Classic

thank you very much for the internet links ! , i will go check it out :) 

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Beautiful photos. That's why everyone wants to visit France (along with the wonderful food.)

Beautiful European cars, too. I love the old light blue estate wagon whatever it is.

Thank you very much JamesR :) , and if one day you come to the south of France, I will be happy to show you around :) 
The green station wagon is a Renault Juvaquattre (1956 if I'm not mistaken) :)

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

thank you very much for the internet links ! , i will go check it out :) 

I'm sure you will find the history very enlightening.  Follow the links at the bottom of the article to the two articles detailing the earlier history:

Automotive History: The Small Ford Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part One – The Pre-War Years | Curbside Classic

Automotive History: The Small Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part Deux – The Post-War European Fords | Curbside Classic

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Ok thank you for the information I did not know.
The renault Alliance was the Renault 9 in France ;) 
This one in the photo is in good condition ;) 

I believe the Renault 11 was the Alliance, and the Renault 9 was the Encore here.

As well, there was an Alliance convertible that was sold in North America. 

Craig

• Like 1

What a wonderful  group of photographs, the vehicles are wonderful but the architecture is just outstanding! WOW. ( My family history were brick masons for over a century and I stated an architectural Review Board here in the village I have lived in my whole life to protect and preserve the houses and structures over 25 years ago) Love the cars but can't stop looking at the photos of the buildings!. THANK YOU!

Walt

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'm sure you will find the history very enlightening.  Follow the links at the bottom of the article to the two articles detailing the earlier history:

Automotive History: The Small Ford Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part One – The Pre-War Years | Curbside Classic

Automotive History: The Small Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part Deux – The Post-War European Fords | Curbside Classic

Thank you ! ;)  

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I believe the Renault 11 was the Alliance, and the Renault 9 was the Encore here.

As well, there was an Alliance convertible that was sold in North America. 

Craig

Yes you are right, they changed their name for the import ;) 

13 hours ago, Walt G said:

What a wonderful  group of photographs, the vehicles are wonderful but the architecture is just outstanding! WOW. ( My family history were brick masons for over a century and I stated an architectural Review Board here in the village I have lived in my whole life to protect and preserve the houses and structures over 25 years ago) Love the cars but can't stop looking at the photos of the buildings!. THANK YOU!

Walt

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it :) 
There are many houses and buildings like this in France, and 30 minutes from my home there are villages with only stone houses :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Is this car a Renault? I see the marking on the front. But that is not a Renault symbol I don't think.

RunOverADog2.jpg

Considering the grille, it's more like a Fiat ;) 
Can be a Fiat Uno as 8E45E says, or can be a bigger model (Fiat sedan) ;) 

5 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Yes you are right, they changed their name for the import ;) 

Actually, they were assembled in Kenosha, Wisconsin with imported components.  The only complete imports were the Renault 18, Fuego, and the 21, which was called the 'Medallion' in US and Canada.  The Renault 5 was still imported to Canada for a few years after imports to the US ceased.  In late 1988, the new plant in Brampton started building the Eagle Premier, which was a restyled Renault 25.   Once the amount of cars assembled had been reached, Chrysler then cut all previous ties to Renault.

Craig

• Thanks 1