Performance tips and original parts

70skylark

Hello everyone I recently got lucky and picked up a 1 owner 22,xxx original miles bought in Seattle(same state I'm from) has a stack of paper work verifying the mileage and maintenance records 1970 skylark with a 350-4 in it. This thing has been inside all of its life and was used to drive from a small airport up north to there house 15 miles away and that was it. My question is first why do you guys like to do to get the best performance out of this engine at a reasonable cost. Where would the build sheet be for this thing my last classic was under the driver seat. I have all the paper work besides the build sheet including the day it was sold and how much it was sold for brand new off the lot back in 1970. This car by far a lucky find and the price I paid was stupid low so I have extra to spend on getting her to come alive. But I'm also looking for some original parts and where would be the best place to search for them. And one more random thing I think is kind of cool because of the history is the tires on the car now is the second set ever! Thanks for the help and sorry the post was all over the place 20201124_110800_HDR.jpg.9148c4647cfaa021815c432d7b623f67.jpg

20210422_142117.jpg

20201125_105108_HDR.jpg

20201215_175931.jpg

20201125_105050_HDR.jpg

Always liked that Buick 350, 315hp AFAIR:

Bolt ons: GS Dash with instruments, factory chrome wheels, GS Hood & Grille, cruise control, sport steering wheel, AM-FM radio.

ps 455 looks identical & 200R4 or 700R4 is a bolt on

• Like 1

I dont know the early 70s gm stuff, but firebirds had build sheets under the pass seat, sometimes behind the rear seat back, and some plants put them on top of the gas tank.

My personal philosophy is, 'its your car, do what you want with it'.  BUT, if that were mine, I would try to keep it as close to what you have as possible. If the tires are a few years old def get them replaced. Upgraded wheels would look good but again, I think it looks great as is. I suppose you could pull the motor and have it rebuilt with a few upgrades and still maintain a stock appearance, which I would not be adverse to doing. At this point though, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Theres a local guy with a 69-70sh chevelle that he restored to show room new.  Complete with hubcaps it has the same look at your car. He garners far more attention at shows than ALL of the ones with after market wheels and chromed engine bays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

350 Buick is a torque motor. Many things were available from a 3.42 posi to full instrumentation. I had a 70 GS that was optioned out and could beat a Z-28 in an autocross. For me 1970 was a great year.

buvette2.jpg

Do a good tuneup, make sure brakes, steering etc are all up to factory specs and put on a set of good shock absorbers and get an alignment. Then enjoy driving it. Don't think about hopping it up until you drive it for one summer. Change the oil at frequent intervals (1000 miles) to clean out any sludge. Change all lubricants, make sure the rubber hoses under the hood are all good, also brake lines. That will keep you busy for this year. Enjoy some nice rides and hit a few old car events if there are any. If you still think it's too slow get back to us next year.

If it were mine, some nice whitewall would add some bling and maybe some Buick rally wheels to complete the package. A lot of the fun will be driving a nice original Buick, knowing that it will be reliable in its current state. 

If radio is AM only, then an Aurora Designs upgrade to AM/FM/MP3 Bluetooth etc would be a nice upgrade while still retaining the original radio functions.

Be aware that some modifications will detract and devalue what you have.

Just my two bobs worth.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Leave the car alone. Take it from a person who has modified Buicks currently (I race it) and has had modified cars since being a teen. For street driving leave your all original car original. Are you street racing anyone? Get a faster car. Are you just going to enjoy the car on cruises and at shows then leave it alone. You will regret messing with it. Put on a set of Buick Rally wheels if you want as said in the other posts and give it a good tune.  Just my opinion. Take it as you will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1