Rough n Tumble - primarily a Steam Museum. Ronks PA

TAKerry

Seeing a post in the 'period images' sparked my brain. Though they do have a car barn with some really nice examples of cars and a few old motorcycles, but Rough n Tumble is primarily a Steam Museum. Located in Ronks PA (just east of Lancaster), maybe a half hr or so from Hershey in beautiful Lancaster Co. They have a steam up only a couple times a year but def worth a visit. To see those mighty machines running around is pretty cool to say the least.

https://roughandtumble.org

• Like 1

I've been there several times for their steam events and enjoyed them tremendously. They used to also have a great flea market, but recent reports indicate that part of it has declined over the years.

Terry

• Like 2

What a great Museum and a working one at that. Was lucky enough to do a AACA Gettysburg Region National Founders Tour a few years ago that included Rough and Tumble. LOVED IT! I look forward to going back one day.

IMG_7027.JPG

• Like 3

The Rough & Tumble Museum is a great place to visit with kids & family.  We've been a couple of times.  Lots of things to see and do, near Lancaster, PA, middle of PA Dutch country.  We got to ride on the train, my wife even had a chance to operate an old turret lathe and make a knurled brass thumbscrew in a few minutes.  On the day we were there in 2017, our friend Jerry Kurtz was helping to operate the steam train.  There are a number of old steam tractors/threshing engines and some huge stationary engines.  There is a nice collection of old cars, not museum pieces but fun.  There are also a number of old metal working machines - Joe Puleo would love them.  In normal times, i.e. non COVID, they have food available.  It's worth a few hours to visit.

1084412244_steamtractor-roughtumble2017.jpg.6c9e35e9f7e1ae5d1a48f4c6bb9d5799.jpg

Steam-powered threshing engine run by coal fire.  We saw a young woman shoveling coal

into the fire box to build up steam.

2069933550_steamengine-RoughTumble2017.JPG.0d9541e30bf9086e9584838c13f8b246.JPG

The steam train engine.

263359133_JerryKurtz-RoughTumble2017.jpg.9d5337cfdee554c1bc219b32f19527fa.jpg

Jerry Kurtz in the coal tender.  Jerry is a long-time Studebaker fan. 

345349473_steamlawnmower-RoughTumble2017.JPG.48a95305e9841f9ca4c56b4bf7b7f1bf.JPG

A steam powered lawn mower used at the White House.

937775538_Studebakerwaterwagon-RoughTumble2017.JPG.e1d0d1b778293b00d4f745b4c12bb1ad.JPG

A Studebaker water wagon.

128315326_BrownSharpemachine-Roughtumble2017.JPG.95276d90ab7dc1f142fe13fb62afe842.JPG

An old Brown and Sharpe machine tool.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A B&S #3 horizontal mill. It's one of the "late" ones - probably about 1917. The gear box on the side controlled the horizontal feed speeds. The earlier machines had another 3 or 4-step pulley rather than a gear box and only had that many choices. The speeds are relative to the spindle speed - all of which is much more limiting than a modern machinist would expect. But, ALL of our brass cars and a lot of others up to the 1930s were built with machines like this. I had an "00" - the smallest version of this, serial #41 (c.1897-98). I made a gear that is now in the apron of my lathe with it so as archaic as it may look, these are still functional machines.

Food is a whole different story!  Shoo fly pie, homemade root beer, fresh horseradish, just a few of my favorites....

The first time I was there I was amazed at how quiet these behemoth machines actually run.  Being used to hearing the diesel roar of a large dozer, etc. 

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Rough n Tumble - primarily a Steam Museum. Ronks PA
On 4/14/2021 at 1:54 PM, philip roitman said:

What a great Museum and a working one at that. Was lucky enough to do a AACA Gettysburg Region National Founders Tour a few years ago that included Rough and Tumble. LOVED IT! I look forward to going back one day.

IMG_7027.JPG

I rode on that train with you while there.   2017

• Like 1

• 1 year later...