1979 Macho Trans Am 400/four speed $64,500.

If they had named this anything other than "Macho" they would be twice as desirable.   RM sold  one of these also with a four speed for a lot less than this price.  This is a really nice color scheme and has super low miles.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am / Macho T/A #29

If you are looking at this add I would presume you know the history of these rare Trans Am's. It is said that no two are alike.

This is #29 of 96 produced in 1979, in the one year only color of  Atlantis Blue (24), one of only two Macho T/A's produced in this color. And #29 includes all the most desirable Pontiac options including the rare & fully functioning  AM/FM/CB Stereo system

I believe this to be the nicest original Macho that I'm aware of with only 19,327 original miles wearing it's original factory paint that really looks superb. The car has all the original parts included in the Macho package, to even include the Hooker headers & Koni shocks. The drivetrain is all original as is the distributor, water pump, alternator, carburetor & intake manifold. The overall condition of the car is beautiful, the interior is in like new condition, no wear or cracks in the dash or console, beautiful door panels & trim, clock is working. The exterior shows as a beautifully preserved original, with really nice gloss & shine to the paint, the aluminum wheels are near flawless & need nothing. This is what would be considered an investment grade example of a truly unique Trans Am meant for a serious collector.

The car is fully documented all numbers matching T/A with all three build sheets, window sticker, Mecham documentation as well as PHS documented. All casting numbers & date codes correct.

I would like to point out some details that you may find of interest, the biggest being the rarity of the Hooker roll bar, just try to find one, impossible. Please take a close look at the beautiful installation  of the roll bar, most are hack jobs in the F bodies unless you knew a small mod to facilitate such a clean install. The original Rochester is completely unmolested, missing nothing & showing no signs of ever being opened. The rear defroster is a very common option on these cars but mine doesn't have it, you wouldn't give it much thought until you actually drive a F body with a clear unobstructed view out of the back. And finally something that in the end won't make a difference in this particular car but is extremely rare none the less. If you look close at the build sheet you will notice this car left the factory with WV6 Gold graphics & N90 cast aluminum wheels ln gold. To my knowledge only 3 known examples  exist. Although you wouldn't think the combo of Atlantis & gold would work, it was actually beautiful in person

MachoTA.jpg

I remember reading about these in either Car & Driver or Road & Track when they were brand new.  Those guys usually lean towards anything Euro (pre Asian cars then) but admitted these were awesome cars (consider times as well).  

At first glance I was immediately reminded of how many times my left sleeve would get soaked in my F body by rolling windows down after a wash or some rain.  Thought they all had the roll bars.  Pretty cool car overall.

• Haha 1

Do I understand the listing correctly?

The car has original paint but the graphics have been changed at some point from gold to silver?

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

If they had named this anything other than "Macho" they would be twice as desirable.  

Agreed!  If a car truly is powerful, let its performance

stand for itself, without splashy graphics and a juvenile name.

Did the Duesenberg brothers need a "Macho Edition"

to prove the prowess of their car?

I wonder whether a top-line Honda Civic today has 

more power than this Pontiac!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Agreed!  If a car truly is powerful, let its performance

stand for itself, without splashy graphics and a juvenile name.

Did the Duesenberg brothers need a "Macho Edition"

to prove the prowess of their car?

I wonder whether a top-line Honda Civic today has 

more power than this Pontiac!

I’m pretty sure it is running a W72 400 which was the last of the real muscle car engines.

That Macho T/A is pretty Macho, but I'd rather have this Navin Johnson special, a Barris job as I recall... The ultimate in gaudy macho. Love the faux sidepipes tacked on... those suckers are LOW! 

"The ashtray, the paddle game, the remote control and the Firebird... that's all I need..."

i002521.jpg

• Haha 1

I believe these Macho T/A's were put together by a shop in Arizona.  They had been build these things starting in the mid 70's and they are rare and collectible.  If I was looking to buy one it would be a 1977 or 78.  Pontiac ceased V8 engine somewhere close to the '79 model year. If you're going to talk originality and paint quality what's with the trim?

Oh well that's my 2 cents.

GLWTS

Edited by deac (see edit history)

I wouldn't want to be found dead in either of those cars pictured, and would decline to accept either one as a gift. 

It reminds me of the '78 Corvette Indy Pace car with "Limited Edition" decals on the front fenders.  Who came up with that bright idea?