1916 Cole 8 conrods

I have a 1916 Cole 8. The engine is a Cole-Northway creation, and it requires new connecting rods. They are 9 1/2" long(c/c) and are of a fork and blade arrangement . See photos

Any information about new manufacturing would be appreciated.  If other owners are interested in replacing them, please advise. 

Malcolm 

20210217_091936.jpg

20210217_091905.jpg

• Like 1

Not familiar with any of these V8s, but FWIW:

(1) Looks like Cole used the same engine 1916-24 per thunbnails in Std Cat V8 1906-2002, which should be named Std Cat Mainline V8s, as has pitifully little on the 1915--20s orphans... one parts catalog lists a different V8 for 1915, not mentioned in Std Cat V8s...

(2) if Cole rods above don't work out, may be worth checking the Olds 17-23 rods; piston is different but  rod bearing is very close (parets co's 1217,1217A, 1218 for these Olds and Northway engines...

On 3/19/2021 at 9:20 AM, Restorer32 said:

What is wrong with the con rods you have?  They can usually be straightened or resized if necessary.

Malcolm and I have been in touch, even though he's halfway around the world.  The engine overheated with resulting damage.  inspection revealed cracked connecting rods, among other problems.  He's having new ones machined.

Those have to end up being very expensive replacements ! So much metal to remove on the fork rod. { I am assuming they will be machined from billet rather than a forged blank like the original ones. }  No decent, used rods anywhere ?

One of the models of British genset engines I used to work on a lot used rods of this type. But quite a bit larger . They were developed as a  dockyard switcher locomotive engine in the late 1940's . Everything on the engine was designed to be as compact as possible . Paxman RPH.

This is a later ; 1960's Turbo version. But you can get the Idea of how compact the engine was intended to be.29628346401_43d7d187b5_b.jpg

ruston-paxman-generator-set-630kw-990541.jpg

Greg

• Like 1