Epoxy Enclosed Trailer Floor Coating

I've recently purchased a new enclosed trailer and it currently has a bare plywood floor. Has anyone had experience putting an epoxy coating on an enclosed trailer flooring? Any experience/recommendations for the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield product? 

My 20s & 30s cars tend to leak so I'm looking for something that is impervious to gas and water and will hold up to tool drops without chipping. 

Thanks! 

Kyle

61m1X90ftiL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Thanks 1

After 35 years of trailering........a bare floor trailer is best painted with oil based paint with SAND in it for traction. It's not expensive, and every two or three years you can put it down again if necessary. The plywood is too soft for epoxy and it will gouge out if you place other items in the trailer. The rubber coin mat is fantastic when installed and glued down.......It's what I currently have. I also use pig mat under the cars to help keep it clean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought some cheap linoleum at a discount building supply store for my trailer. I picked a pattern that has about a 6" square pattern so it helps line up the car when I drive in. Has lasted about 10 years so far. Got a couple of tears but should last a few more years.

I got some relatively inexpensive roll-out vinyl garage floor mat and loose-laid it in my enclosed trailer.  If it gets too dirty, I can roll it up, haul it out, and pressure wash it in the driveway - or just replace it.  I did paint the ramp with sanded paint, helps especially if the ramp gets wet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:45 AM, Kblake said:

I've recently purchased a new enclosed trailer and it currently has a bare plywood floor. Has anyone had experience putting an epoxy coating on an enclosed trailer flooring? Any experience/recommendations for the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield product? 

My 20s & 30s cars tend to leak so I'm looking for something that is impervious to gas and water and will hold up to tool drops without chipping. 

Thanks! 

Kyle

61m1X90ftiL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I put that on my trailer floor when I put in a new floor.

It is working out great  👍 

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used a product called balcony one coat from SIKA for my day job. Overhead decks, outside porch floors etc. It is made to go directly over a good grade of plywood.  I am sure the trailer deck would be acceptable. There is a primer step, and a seam tape/sealer then the epoxy goes over that. It has a built in grit, because its used as a deck coating (think of the coatings you would see on a patio from a high rise condo, not your back yard deck). I think it would be perfect for a trailer, maybe better than the home depot stuff that is generally applied on a more solid (and less movement) concrete floor.  The other above suggestions are great too. Funny enough I just have plain plywood on my trailer floor.

• Haha 1

I have had experience with two trailers that I varnished.

Both looked exceptionally good at the car shows. 

However... in practical use, they are slippery and you must be exceptionally careful not to mar the surface in loading anything but a car. This limits what cargo you can put in them .

I use aluminum ramps and can not slide them on the floor without damage... I know because a friend helped me load once and the scars are still there.

A little oil and rain will go a long way (you will slip all the way out if you step on it)

• 2 months later...

Agree with Edinmass. For the floor of my enclosed trailer I primed it and used oil-base concrete floor paint with sand.  Two coats of each.  For the ramp and skirt, two coats of truck bed liner and two coats of the same floor paint.  

Another reason not to use epoxy is you can’t just recoat it as you can with paint, it has to stripped off. 

Add a coin rubber mat secured to the floor and you’re good to go. I also have a couple of “cookie sheet” drip pans secured to the floor as well

I installed a winch and flush battery box too

FC019CF8-59C3-4BB8-8CE9-97ECA6298EA7.jpeg

566A9FD8-36C2-4FA4-AF39-2E759B6D7518.jpeg

• Like 3

I am very pleased with the garage floor coating that I put on my wood trailer floor.

I just dropped off this John Deere 2305 garden tractor w/ front loader in Tacoma, WA.

9225DAF8-B814-424A-87CA-37657D487387.jpeg.cdd63455c32ade726db7cb0bc87b2037.jpeg

D2B97701-DF16-41EF-A5EB-14356ABF1A9A.jpeg.298d38c9f7445c6fdbe178ff4acec395.jpeg

It had an oil leak on the left front tire

that I had to clean up once I unloaded but that can up easily with Simple Green and a rag.

I put large Harbor Freight moving blankets down the center of the floor to act as

“ diapers “ to absorb oil & fluid leaks.

Then I throw them way after use.

Jim

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2022 at 11:58 AM, kejoxof said:

I picked this up over the weekend: IMG_0898.jpg Before I use it for ANYTHING, I'm going to paint the walls and do the the floor. It's currently treated marine plywood with LineX on the bottom. What do you guys suggest for the interior floor? I would also like to do 12" or so up the wall so I can wash it out if I need to. I don't want to spend a fortune either, so taking it somewhere is out of the question. This is a purely do it yourself project. What have you guys done? Any pictures would help if you have them! Thanks in advance! 

Lately I've been thinking about cutting aluminum diamond plate 4x8 sheets into 12"x8' sections then use clear silicone for the seams, shouldn't add much more weight and easy to install and cut. Haven't done it before, but as I'm comparing the pros and cons I'm leaning towards trying it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I painted our 24' car hauler with regular outside enamel house paint with some blasting sand included.

Since mine is vehicle specific, I added guide rails of 2 x 4 split in half,

as the running boards on the Buick only clear the wheel wells by about 3- 4" on each side.

Note the stops in place so the trailer is properly balanced.

I stapled some cardboard down as a catch mat for oil drips.

I built my own escape door on the drivers side. An easy DIY.

Now I can either drive her in or use the wireless winch and open the drivers door wide to exit the car / trailer.

Mike in Colorado

100_1785.jpg

100_1787.jpg

100_1784.jpg

• Like 4

An add on or in place of the cardboard, I use incontinent pads in my trailer with a little duct tape on the corners and on pieces of cardboard under my cars in the shop. My Crosleys like to mark their spot.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, Guest said:

I have had experience with two trailers that I varnished.

Both looked exceptionally good at the car shows. 

However... in practical use, they are slippery and you must be exceptionally careful not to mar the surface in loading anything but a car. This limits what cargo you can put in them .

I use aluminum ramps and can not slide them on the floor without damage... I know because a friend helped me load once and the scars are still there.

A little oil and rain will go a long way (you will slip all the way out if you step on it)

I have the same problem with my trailer. Looks good but totally impracticable

• 2 months later...

Try this new(er) Benjamin Moore Industrial Urethane.  I’ve had it in my trailer for over 5 years now.   Two coats will seal floor great.  No stink, and 24 hr cure time.  30 min dry to touch.  It can be gouged - but I’ve never had issue with peeling or clean up of fluids/spills.  Covers tough on concrete and metal too.  Pretty amazing stuff.   IMG_0806.jpeg.f5e6dcfa61ea6d478a15495f6e920ce4.jpegYou can have it mixed in most colors too.  I used Harbor Gray and black shown in garage and trailer.

IMG_4725.jpeg.ad506e038fdbcc1718d30eceb023319d.jpeg

• Like 2