Epoxy Enclosed Trailer Floor Coating

I've recently purchased a new enclosed trailer and it currently has a bare plywood floor. Has anyone had experience putting an epoxy coating on an enclosed trailer flooring? Any experience/recommendations for the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield product? 

My 20s & 30s cars tend to leak so I'm looking for something that is impervious to gas and water and will hold up to tool drops without chipping. 

Thanks! 

Kyle

61m1X90ftiL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Thanks 1

After 35 years of trailering........a bare floor trailer is best painted with oil based paint with SAND in it for traction. It's not expensive, and every two or three years you can put it down again if necessary. The plywood is too soft for epoxy and it will gouge out if you place other items in the trailer. The rubber coin mat is fantastic when installed and glued down.......It's what I currently have. I also use pig mat under the cars to help keep it clean. 

• Thanks 1

I bought some cheap linoleum at a discount building supply store for my trailer. I picked a pattern that has about a 6" square pattern so it helps line up the car when I drive in. Has lasted about 10 years so far. Got a couple of tears but should last a few more years.

I got some relatively inexpensive roll-out vinyl garage floor mat and loose-laid it in my enclosed trailer.  If it gets too dirty, I can roll it up, haul it out, and pressure wash it in the driveway - or just replace it.  I did paint the ramp with sanded paint, helps especially if the ramp gets wet. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:45 AM, Kblake said:

I've recently purchased a new enclosed trailer and it currently has a bare plywood floor. Has anyone had experience putting an epoxy coating on an enclosed trailer flooring? Any experience/recommendations for the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield product? 

My 20s & 30s cars tend to leak so I'm looking for something that is impervious to gas and water and will hold up to tool drops without chipping. 

Thanks! 

Kyle

61m1X90ftiL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I put that on my trailer floor when I put in a new floor.

It is working out great  👍 

Jim

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive used a product called balcony one coat from SIKA for my day job. Overhead decks, outside porch floors etc. It is made to go directly over a good grade of plywood.  I am sure the trailer deck would be acceptable. There is a primer step, and a seam tape/sealer then the epoxy goes over that. It has a built in grit, because its used as a deck coating (think of the coatings you would see on a patio from a high rise condo, not your back yard deck). I think it would be perfect for a trailer, maybe better than the home depot stuff that is generally applied on a more solid (and less movement) concrete floor.  The other above suggestions are great too. Funny enough I just have plain plywood on my trailer floor.

I have had experience with two trailers that I varnished.

Both looked exceptionally good at the car shows. 

However... in practical use, they are slippery and you must be exceptionally careful not to mar the surface in loading anything but a car. This limits what cargo you can put in them .

I use aluminum ramps and can not slide them on the floor without damage... I know because a friend helped me load once and the scars are still there.

A little oil and rain will go a long way (you will slip all the way out if you step on it)

If you are talking about actually varnishing a wood trailer floor ...

I don’t know anyone who would recommend doing that.

A friend of my designed & built 

these aluminum ramp holder

brackets for me.

Jim

9BF3FAAC-7D85-4A4B-9E10-B59AD2F6AC31.jpeg.115a223d87f97a5d65f018e06381118a.jpeg