Gilmore Car Museum video — Hickory Corners, Michigan

Cadillac Fan

• 1 month later...
  • Cadillac Fan changed the title to Gilmore Car Museum video — Hickory Corners, Michigan
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

Is this a new building?  Or an existing building with a new/different display?

Existing building that was added on to.  CCCA was the first club to “partner” with Gilmore circa 1987.  It was added onto about 15 years ago and that addition was just added on to.  

below is a mid construction photo. It is all painted red now. 

9BD7E6EA-AC8E-4600-88C5-C4D5FE3BCDAB.jpeg

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hemmings and the CCCA just put out a new video of the CCCA Museum expansion. Cant wait to see the museum in person someday!

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/10/25/one-perfect-day-gilmore-ccca-car-museum

Edited by Den41Buick
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My daughter and I went through the holiday lights event last week. It was child themed and very well done, particularlythe "Morning under the tree through the decades" part. Amelia really enjoyed seeing the differences in gift giving that was on display.  I should note, the crowds look very sparce in the photos.  The were not: the event was very well attended and it took a while to get the photos with only Amelia and stuff (not other people) in the background.

20211218_201223.jpg

20211218_194737.jpg

20211218_185808.jpg

Edited by ericmac
Clarification (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 8:40 PM, Michigan Farmer said:

This is one of my favorite cars at the Gilmore.

Ron

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

The 1934 Auburn boat tail speedster is one of five 1934 Auburns at the museum, different body styles, all painted the same.  Glorious!  We were at the museum today, got a ride in a 1963 (?) Continental convertible.  As said by others, it’s a great museum a long way from anywhere. We’re staying at the Kalamazoo House B&B in Kalamazoo about 30 minutes away in K-zoo. 

3402A17B-3659-4EC7-B792-01397632D6A4.jpeg.f13976ff6ded24b826cd21db8ef61fbe.jpeg

4037B3FB-B7C5-4CD7-8F44-60C7D7F42F07.jpeg.501c2bb01d4000091af248717d79a402.jpeg

15 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

it’s a great museum a long way from anywhere

This sums it up perfectly for me. Great once you finally get there. Kalamazoo is a great place too - lots of neat shops, restaurants etc. It is all about location. I wonder what the area is like from late November until the end of February weather wise, guess things slow down a bit . Not a put down about the site/museums etc. . If you have never been plan the trip and be there when it is warm and dry.

The Gilmore began as the hobby of Donald Gilmore.  The Gilmores had a summer home on Gull Lake 5 miles south of the museum.  After Mr. Gilmore retired, he was encouraged to take up the old car hobby.  As his collection grew, he needed a place to house his collection and to work on his cars.  He decided to buy 90 acres of farmland north of Gull Lake.  I don't think his original intent was to start a museum.  He just wanted a place to show case his collection.  Gull Lake was a popular place for those with money to have a summer home or cottage.  W. K. Kellogg had a home on Gull Lake as well as other prominent people.  The popularity of Gull Lake with the wealthy can be seen in the attached letter.  The museum didn't make a decision to locate in Hickory Corners, Donald Gilmore made the decision to locate his collection there.  Personally, I enjoy the location.  There is plenty of fresh air, green grass and a place for kids to run and play.  The Gilmore is 35 miles straight south of the Gerald R Ford International airport (on the southside of Grand Rapids) just off of M-37.  The Gilmore is also less than 50 miles from South Haven and Holland on Lake Michigan with their beautiful beaches and unsalted water to swim in.

OldsRE001.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After staying at Battle Creek visited the Gilmore in 2018 after attending Hershey(took the opportunity to visit the AACA museum while there) that year. Also visited Indianapolis Speedway, the ACD and Truck museums in Auburn, the nearby Ford museum, an open day at the Packard Proving Grounds, as well as the Petersen in LA. Have previously visited the Nethercutt, both collections, the Don Garlits museum in Florida and the collection at the National Parts Depot "just up the road"(Thanks West for the heads up) as well as the Fort Lauderdale Packard Museum, the Packard museums in Dayton and Warren. So a "fair degree" of museum visiting and found the Gilmore by far the best experience from an all round perspective.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...