What are folks using for Carburetor Cleaner?

FireballV8

I saw a similar thread on the H.A.M.B.

I personally use Dawn dishwater soap in an ultrasonic cleaner.

For more aggressive cleaning agents - BE CAREFUL! DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING POSTED ON THE INTERNET, CONSULT WITH LOCAL PROFESSIONALS! 

Why?

Carter carburetor made autochoke housings from both zinc alloy, and aluminum. There are some folks that have the opinion "if it fits, it will work". A very dirty aluminum choke housing looks very much like a very dirty zinc alloy choke housing. Caustic lye works great on zinc alloy. Caustic lye on aluminum will dissolve the aluminum and emit a poisonous gas!

Your wife may use the money you save, on a more expensive coffin for you!

What you use may well depend on what you are cleaning.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Go to any parts store and buy the correct  throttle body, and  carb  cleaner,

it removes  sludge, oil, gum,  carbon deposits to ----new again .

P1090882.JPG

I happened across a YouTube video of a guy in SW OK who used 10% muriatic acid rather than the normal chem-dip.  Cleaned it up just fine, EXCEPT it took off the cad plating and it came out gray-silver instead.  He noted that that would not be correct for any judged show where things needed to be stock, but otherwise, it worked just fine and was inexpensive from the swimming pool places.

Just something I found,

NTX5467

I dropped my whole 40's Chrysler carb in my vat of evaporust.  Pulled it out after a few days and everything was clean,  the potmetal, everything.  I then took it all apart and blew all passages out with the MAcs brand carb cleaner they sell at NAPA and air then reassembled.   Looks pretty darn clean.  Not sure if it would take the plating off from a plated carb but it's about one of the mildest cleaners out there and it takes all the rust off the iron parts and metal linkages. My base was all surface rusted. 

I have also soda blasted some carburetor bowls and tops that were particularly dirty after a soak in old fashioned bucket carb cleaner. They look and work great. I'm sure soda getting stuck in some passage might come back to haunt me if I keep doing this. Lucky it is water soluble.

Let me tell you about the time I polished brass Rochester  accelerator pumps with walnut shells in a vibratory tumbler. Took forever to get little pieces of walnut out of places I didn't even know had places! 🤬  But boy, did they ever shine!😁 Too bad they are inside the carburetor.

At work some guys are using Simple Green in a large ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburetor parts and heads. Seems to work for them.

Good to know Dawn works too.👍 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bottle of Hutterite wine that I never had to the courage to taste.  No idea what it was made from but I kind of suspect dandelions.   It was mostly clear when it was given to me but as time went on it turned more yellow.   Just the smell of it turned my stomach so I figured what the hey, and I soaked the 2 barrel off my 57.   Disappointingly, the conventional products do seem to work better.   

• Haha 1