How you can help assist the forum moderators to make the AACA forums more on-topic and civil

If we stay on the topics of antique autos, repairs and collecting and trading of such it would make the moderators job a lot more simple. A mention of a newer car (90s since they are the new gen old cars) now and then and how they work might be fine too.  And don’t forget the discussions on auto related collectibles!  Lots of new people come here looking for information about the hobby and it’s cars.  Let’s try and help them out and each other.  That would sure work for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm 100% on board with keep this place free of politics,  even the stuff I agree with.    My buddy Matt and I are diametrically opposed on the political front, but I completely enjoy talking cars with him.

My observation is the problems start when we get off topic - MOSTLY about the future of the auto industry and electric cars.      I have no problem with electric cars,   its the posters promoting them I find tedious.   It is really hard not to comment in those threads - and the comments always have a political undertone.

• Like 2

To further my comment on tedious posters,    is it just me or can you tell if you are going to like someone in person after 1/2 dozen or so posts on an internet message board?    There must be 40 guys on here that post regularly that I can tell I would like - in fact I've met many in person and did like them.     There are also a few of you that I know wouldn't like.   And its not politics cause I like Matt.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

To further my comment on tedious posters,    is it just me or can you tell if you are going to like someone in person after 1/2 dozen or so posts on an internet message board?    There must be 40 guys on here that post regularly that I can tell I would like - in fact I've met many in person and did like them.     There are also a few of you that I know wouldn't like.   And its not politics cause I like Matt.

I've had some pretty funny experiences meeting people from the forum.

A past AACA President who will go unnamed (HS) was banned, by me, from this forum, because of his constant use of the forum to pontificate his political positions.  I cant tell you how many times I warned him.  He considered me the devil.  Wrote nasty letters to the AACA Board. Etc.  One of the least pleasant people I've ever encountered on this forum. (and that is saying a lot!)

He was visiting family in Tucson and called to see if I wanted to goto Barrett Jackson with him for day. 5 hours in the car, 5 hours walking around BJ.  I cant remember a better car day or person.  

The forums bring out the worst of us sometimes.  Or maybe it simply masks the best of us.

• Like 2

One of the issues with the social media  world we live in is that it's so easy to type something nasty when one is distanced from the (to be) offended.

Peter, I think it was very open minded of you to even take a chance with him, great that it worked out.

I've only had a couple of people get after me on this forum, one was totally unwarranted, I remember one was the great Tire Pressure Debate, when someone said that they hoped I wasn't in the educational system because I was such an idiot.  That one brings back some fond memories!

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Reading this thread makes me self conscious how often I use humor and sarcasm (often poorly) talking to my buddies. In person they know I’m teasing and that I like them, but if you put the words down on paper and read them it would frequently come off as harsh or not as I intend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Reading this thread makes me self conscious how often I use humor and sarcasm (often poorly) talking to my buddies. In person they know I’m teasing and that I like them, but if you put the words down on paper and read them it would frequently come off as harsh or not as I intend it.

YES! I totally get this as I too use sarcasm/humor in some of my posts which are totally meant in good fun but it's not always taken that way.