Antique Autos on stamps

I found my stamp album I did as a kid, about 1968-72.  Remember sending in a (dime?) to get in the mail a big pile of stamps?  Found these stamps on the San Marino page, which is apparently the smallest country in the world. 

just wonder if there are more “classic stamps” out there...

2021CFDD-AA99-46AC-B579-7745973AC870.jpeg

• Like 1

Stamp collecting is still a very large hobby (although much smaller than before the post office initiated the self-stick stamp).

Due to the sheer numbers of stamps available, many beginning (and advanced) collectors collect topical stamps rather than trying to acquire all stamps from a  given country.

Automobiles on stamps is one of the most popular topics.  When I acquired a checklist on automobiles on stamps from the American Topical Association, some 5 years ago, they then listed just a few shy of 5000 different, but it was not absolutely complete then, and more have printed since then. I have more than 4000 different in my personal collection.

There are a number of smaller countries which include the printing of topical stamps as one of their largest industries!

I have spent hundreds of hours reworking (now seachable a number of different ways, including by car make) the automobile stamp database. Not giving lists away, but not overly expensive. If any interest, contact me BY TELEPHONE 573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Canada Post issued this set in 1993..All the cars were built in Canada. Features 1867 H.S.Taylor Steam buggy, 1914 Model T Ford. 1928 McLaughlin-Buick Royal Tour phaeton, Russell Model L, Studebaker Champion Deluxe, and a Gray-Dort 25 5M Luxury sedan.

Car stamps.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, carbking said:

I have spent hundreds of hours reworking (now seachable a number of different ways, including by car make) the automobile stamp database. Not giving lists away, but not overly expensive. If any interest, contact me BY TELEPHONE 573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

Hi Jon, 

does your list also cover trucks and buses foreign and domestic?

s-l1600.jpg

Vintage Sisu Bus First Finland Postal Bus Mint MNH Stamp 1946Austria 1957 Coach/Car/Post Bus/Postal Transport/Motors/Motoring 1v (n24914)Germany Scott 728 20pf 1906 Automobile German Postal Motor-Bus Service.

Cars, trucks, buses, motor racing, and motorcycles world-wide.

Indexing by make is iffy on some of the non-USA brands, if the brand is not printed on the stamp.

Can index on:

Stamps by country

Stamps by brand

Stamps by individual (i.e. Richard Petty)

Some dual searches (brand and country)

Also have a large duplicate collection if anyone might have an interest.

Jon.

I don't collect car, truck, vehicle stamps but was involved in trying to see a block of stamps issued and went through the process many years ago if you go to the website Vanderbiltcupraces.com for January .16, 2021 the story is there.

Kleiner’s Korner: A Commemorative 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race Stamp.

Trying to get a historic car event on a stamp at the time was about as frustrating ( and successful) as it is today to see your mail delivered or get a vaccine shot within a reasonable time, now. If in someones eyes you are important enough, have a title, or belong to a certain group held in esteem by the "right" people then things happen. 

VCR_stamp_1_620_427.jpg

Walt - two different stamps of the 1908 Locomobile "Old 16" were issued 30 December 1986 by Tuvalu Nanumea.

Scott catalog number 28a, and 28b.

Michel catalog numbers 103 and 104.

These were issued as a part of the "Leaders of the World" issue over a number of years, and countries. While these stamps were legal for postage, they were issued with the collector market in mind.

Jon.

• Thanks 1