All Creatures Great and Small (automobile identifications)?

alsfarms

3 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Total P1 Rover production 1934-36 was 5775 cars made up of saloon, sports saloon and open tourer.  There does not appear to be a breakdown by body type.  Saloon bodies were made by the Pressed Steel Company, don't know about the tourer, but it was steel over wood framework.  Chassis was underslung at the rear.  Independent company simply known as the Rover Automobile Company.

Isn’t that the same company/brand that later built the Land Rover and Range Rover. It would appear that way from the wikipedia articles at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(marque) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Company

48 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Isn’t that the same company/brand that later built the Land Rover and Range Rover. It would appear that way from the wikipedia articles at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(marque) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_Company

Yes it is.  Jaguar Land Rover now owned by Tata Motors of India.  Rover name is dormant as of 2006.

6 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Anyone know what kind of car Julia Taviner is driving? This shot 1978-1990's series she is mauling Tristan while Mrs. Hall and friends look on in horror just outside of Skeldale House ( in the real town called Askrigg ). ASKRIGG's Skeldale house was Siegfried's house and surgery in that series ( shot through three decades)was In Darrowby

TV Time - All Creatures Great and Small S02E06 - Faint Hearts (TVShow Time)

In the books and in T.V. they live in Darrowby. In real life they live in Thirsk. In the books Siegfried and Tristan have a mother that lives in Broughton. In real life their mother lived in Harrogate.

I'm thinking Austin 7.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Anyone know what kind of car Julia Taviner is driving? This shot 1978-1990's series she is mauling Tristan while Mrs. Hall and friends look on in horror just outside of Skeldale House ( in the real town called Askrigg ). ASKRIGG's Skeldale house was Siegfried's house and surgery in that series ( shot through three decades)was In Darrowby

TV Time - All Creatures Great and Small S02E06 - Faint Hearts (TVShow Time)

In the books and in T.V. they live in Darrowby. In real life they live in Thirsk. In the books Siegfried and Tristan have a mother that lives in Broughton. In real life their mother lived in Harrogate.

It's an MG J2, circa 1933 but I'm not positive on the year.  Better pic needed to pinpoint that.  Here is a pic of one in green.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we were good friends with the folks who supplied the Morris Eight tourer(s) for filming the original series.  I've ridden in them and driven them.  We have a 1935 Morris Eight (Saloon) and even with the heavier four door sedan body, it's a nice little car.  Typical of British cars of the time though, they were taxed based on HP, so they all tended to be a bit under-powered. 

Terry

MG J2 c1933.jpg

54 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

It also looks a bit like the predecessor to the Singer 4AD.  I would like to see that scene.  🙂

Al

Here it is;

all creatures great and small series 2 episode six faint hearts  BYW the opening shots have Watersplash in it!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi20cXmu5_uAhUSR6wKHYkbD5gQwqsBMAB6BAgCEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fx5rtx2z&usg=AOvVaw2bv2avieeScOlJKjZAe1x0

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

It's an MG J2, circa 1933 but I'm not positive on the year.  Better pic needed to pinpoint that.  Here is a pic of one in green.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we were good friends with the folks who supplied the Morris Eight tourer(s) for filming the original series.  I've ridden in them and driven them.  We have a 1935 Morris Eight (Saloon) and even with the heavier four door sedan body, it's a nice little car.  Typical of British cars of the time though, they were taxed based on HP, so they all tended to be a bit under-powered. 

Terry

MG J2 c1933.jpg

Terry, would have to be pre 1934 because of the bicycle wings, that car looks like fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Sadly, I was away for the second episode of All Creatures Great and Small.  I understand that Tristan makes the scene in this episode.  Did I miss any good automobile scenes?

Al

Yes, Siegfried is under the impression that Tristan passed all his exams so he gives him a gift, a black Austin  sedan.

The car in place at the museum.

Sadly, I was away for the second episode of All Creatures Great and Small.  I understand that Tristan makes the scene in this episode.  Did I miss any good automobile scenes?

Al

Note: The following is true for Roku but I’d be surprised if it didn’t hold true for the other streaming boxes you can attach to your TV

If you have a smart TV or streaming box connected to your TV, see if you can get the PBS app/channel on it. Shows that have been aired recently should be freely available so you should be able to watch that missed episode.

If you make a periodic donation to your local PBS station then you can get setup with what they call “Passport” which gives you access to a lot more shows including all the episodes of this new version of All Creatures Great and Small.

My wife and I have already finished the whole season. I won’t pass on any spoilers but will say that there is significant divergence from the books (and the old series) so it will be new to you regardless of how many times you’ve pull the books off the shelf and re-read them.

6 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Note: The following is true for Roku but I’d be surprised if it didn’t hold true for the other streaming boxes you can attach to your TV

If you have a smart TV or streaming box connected to your TV, see if you can get the PBS app/channel on it. Shows that have been aired recently should be freely available so you should be able to watch that missed episode.

If you make a periodic donation to your local PBS station then you can get setup with what they call “Passport” which gives you access to a lot more shows including all the episodes of this new version of All Creatures Great and Small.

My wife and I have already finished the whole season. I won’t pass on any spoilers but will say that there is significant divergence from the books (and the old series) so it will be new to you regardless of how many times you’ve pull the books off the shelf and re-read them.

Also, PBS Masterpiece Theater runs the previous episode ( my time would be 4:00PM ) on Sunday afternoon, then runs the current one at 8:pm. This not only allows you to refresh your memory, but also a chance to see the past episode if you missed it.   

• Like 1

haha...easy answer for the modern baling plastic twine repair.  They almost stayed in character as twine is the new all around repair medium that used to be held by baling wire.  They probably couldn't find any balling wire for the show!!!!  I still have a "stash" of baling wire that I keep for those special emergency repairs!

Al

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

OK for those who know British automobile and have watched the new reboot second episode.  I have a question for you.  In the scene where the little Austin sedan is being purchased, what is the small red delivery car in the background?

Al

Jeez, not much of it. 29.56

All Creatures Great and Small 2020 S 1 E 2 - video Dailymotion

• Like 1

I am enjoying this series just for the same of enjoying and getting to see some typical early British automobiles is even better.  I have been around the rectal examinations for dairy cows many times and just smile when James gets his arm out and he is actually clean.....  🙂  not in the real world that I know!  Charming none the less.  The poor woman sure didn't want to loose her pet Jersey!

Al

7 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I am enjoying this series just for the same of enjoying and getting to see some typical early British automobiles is even better.  I have been around the rectal examinations for dairy cows many times and just smile when James gets his arm out and he is actually clean.....  🙂  not in the real world that I know!  Charming none the less.  The poor woman sure didn't want to loose her pet Jersey!

Al

Not in the 1978-92 rendition!

James;All Creatures Great & Small s01e02 Dog Days - YouTube

Tristan:

PETER DAVISON'S lovable rogue Tristan lit up All Creatures Great and Small  | Daily Mail Online

4 hours ago, alsfarms said:

OK for those who know British automobile and have watched the new reboot second episode.  I have a question for you.  In the scene where the little Austin sedan is being purchased, what is the small red delivery car in the background?

Al

It is an earlier model Austin 7 - late 1920s.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:32 AM, Pfeil said:

Yes, Siegfried is under the impression that Tristan passed all his exams so he gives him a gift, a black Austin  sedan.

The car in place at the museum.

The car in this photo is an Austin Big Seven where as the car James acquires is a Seven Ruby sedan. The Big Seven -  a confusing name - came after the Seven and preceded the Eight.

15 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

It is an earlier model Austin 7 - late 1920s.

The car in this photo is an Austin Big Seven where as the car James acquires is a Seven Ruby sedan. The Big Seven -  a confusing name - came after the Seven and preceded the Eight.

You'll have to play this to see the little red car/delivery van he's on about that's in the background

about 29.56 into the episode;

All Creatures Great and Small 2020 S 1 E 2 - video Dailymotion

Al

Al, did you see the Road tour Christopher Timothy and Peter Davison about a few years back in a Morgan touring around England and Wales? Those guys were all young in the 79-92 series. Timothy is 81 now, Davison is about 70.

Glasgow TV producers get deal for classic car show series 2 - Business  Insider

Vintage Roads (TV Series 2018–2019) - IMDb

Time flies

image.jpeg.d1e86d1a5d5b3504e2266460fe15c2b4.jpegGreat British Car Journeys – C4

• Like 1

Episode three of the new "All Creatures Large and Small" reboot was fun and entertaining.  First the automobile question.  When James met the fellow on the one way bridge, (it was who he thought was involved romantically with the gal his is a bit smitten with).  What model is the Riley saloon he was driving.  The plot thickens when the black horse has to be put down.  This was a good story line and great character development.  Last....it seems each episode has James checking out the hind end of a creature and never seems soiled in the process.   🙂

Al

4 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Episode three of the new "All Creatures Large and Small" reboot was fun and entertaining.  First the automobile question.  When James met the fellow on the one way bridge, (it was who he thought was involved romantically with the gal his is a bit smitten with).  What model is the Riley saloon he was driving.  The plot thickens when the black horse has to be put down.  This was a good story line and great character development.  Last....it seems each episode has James checking out the hind end of a creature and never seems soiled in the process.   🙂

Al

I thought the car James met on the bridge was a Alvis ( check out the radiator ornament ). Interesting that in this new series Lord Hulton seems to be dating young Helen, when in the books and the 79-90's series lord Hulton is well middle aged and married to Lady Hulton and Helen is dating Richard Edmonson.

Lord Hulton in the 79-90's series;  image.jpeg.1829c798ff6cfa5ef4222cf9bb3f2c9b.jpeg

Also in this new series you are correct Al, that there is a lack of blood, guts, feces. Do you remember the smock covered in blood after Siegfried did a post Mortem on Hulton's horse? Remember the scenes of Jeff the knackerman's yard?

I love the calving scene on Mr. Dinsdale heifer? Poor James, ( Christopher Timothy ) has his arm all the way in the heifer's uterus trying to turn a mislaid breach presentation when the heifer urinates all over his arm and left side. That series was REAL! 

• Like 1

Hello Pfeil, I do not remember that much about the original version of this Series as far as characters and who relates to who and etc.   I guess I need to sit down and have a movie marathon and watch all the original episodes.  The episode three single car bridge scene is, in my mind, a Riley, per the shape of the radiator shell.  I have three Alvis and the radiator shell is very different.  The picture is of a post war TA-14 Carbodies DHC Alvis.   Lastly, these new episodes are certainly "cleaner" from a Veterinaries perspective.

Al

alvis_beige_primary_01_6.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
spelling and clarity (see edit history)

I don't recall having seen one of these in the original series, but since it was built in England from 1932 to 1937 as a Ford Model Y Tudor, it certainly could have been "seen in scenes".

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/289251/36-ford-model-y.jpg

This example has been "hot rodded", but we can still see and appreciate the original design/styling.  It looks like a 3/4 scale model of the Fords or the era.  I've never seen one of these Ford Model Ys, but this one is quite attractive and would probably look even better in stock form.

Here's a link to the listing on Hemmings:

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1936-ford-other-1?utm_medium=email&utm_source=auctions_newsletter&utm_campaign=2021-01-25

That's a really cool looking car and reminds me of the vintage London Taxi Cabs.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I just watched episode 6 last evening.  What a charming show.  My question is for those of you who are familiar with the  British Lorries of the later 1930's.  The lorry hauling the big bull to sale or market, that had just crossed the bridge, is what?  The front and grill sure looked like an International truck, made in the US.  However the cab certainly looked "British".  Who can add information?  I also noted a small blue roadster with a bustle back in one of the town scenes.  What is that automobile?  I enjoyed watching the house keeper take the Rover Tourer, at speed, around a corner doing a slide.  What fun is that!

Al 

16 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Dictator27,  Could you describe the boundaries of the British GM you referred to?  Did they share many parts with US GM or was that entity more of a stand-alone when it comes to various mechanical components?

Al

Bedford may have been owned by GM but its trucks in the 1930s and '40s had nothing to do with their US counterparts.

Every version was powered by the same 214 cid 76 bhp ohv six which, unlike the similar Chevrolet engine, was fully pressure fed. It wasn't until 1950 that a bigger - 300 cid -  engine became available.

The first new post war Bedford, the A series introduced about 1952, did bear a resemblance to the contemporary US models - See the source image

• Like 1

It is interesting to learn more about our British cousins and the automobile and truck development on the right side of the pond.  Full pressure oiling is certainly a plus!  The older splash lubricated 216 GM engines were OK but the better and industrial quality GMC engines meant business.  I am running an early 1947 GMC dump truck, with a 248 CID, on the farm still and have fun with it.  The best part is knowing that I have adequate lubrication when I am hauling the "sunshine" from the corral.  Did British GM use an abundant two speed rear axle in those early trucks?

Al

Bedford built a complex range of models. This article will help to confuse you. 

It neglects to mention the important post war model, the A series conventional, which evolved into the J series which was built up to the early 1970s.

The cabover S and T series models were probably the bigger sellers for commercial work.

Bedford Vehicles - Wikipedia

3 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

It is interesting to learn more about our British cousins and the automobile and truck development on the right side of the pond.  Full pressure oiling is certainly a plus!  The older splash lubricated 216 GM engines were OK but the better and industrial quality GMC engines meant business.  I am running an early 1947 GMC dump truck, with a 248 CID, on the farm still and have fun with it.  The best part is knowing that I have adequate lubrication when I am hauling the "sunshine" from the corral.  Did British GM use an abundant two speed rear axle in those early trucks?

Al

I have not had anything to do with them but I guess that the Bedford was available with the Eaton two speed rear and that all of the other makers used. We had one here for a short time that my son rescued from a Dodge Kew truck that was about to be scrapped. It brought out stories from a couple of 'old timers' who knew the 'traps' with them. Apparently if you messed up the downshift into the lower ratio as you were going downhill, you were in trouble as it wouldn't engage either gear. Btw the Dodge Kew was British built truck and used the 25" Canadian flat head six block - can't recall the sizes off the top of my head but up to 252 cid I think. There are a couple of them in the shed.

• Like 1

Interesting about the Dodge material also.  I have a 1937 DeSoto coupe with the 25" Chrysler designed engine in it.  I have scrounged around and have bought a later production 265 Chrysler industrial engine to use as a donor when I rebuild the DeSoto.  I also have a 302 GMC engine waiting to be installed in place of the 248 in the old dump truck mentioned above.  I then will install the 248 engine in a 1949 GMC pick-up truck out back.  Were the Bedfords exported throughout the United Kingdom in great numbers?

Al

Charming show? Ever watch " As Time Goes By"? Remember how Lionel Hardcastle felt when Hollywood rewrote his script from his book " My Life in Kenya"? That is how I feel about this All Creatures Great and Small series.

Seigfried Farnon is a widower. No, Siegfried marries for the first and only time after James.

Siegfried was a vet in WW1, No, Siegfried, although only a few years older than James does seem older to James. Siegfried and James both join the RAF in 1939 WW2.

Siegfried is reluctant to have a girlfriend, No Siegfried before he's married has a a parade of girlfriends.

Helen Alderson, is going out with a wealthy young man named Richard Edmonson ( not Hugh Hulton ) Edmonson never proposes marriage. Later James does. Helen's father is a well off farmer and owns his own land. The bit with the Bull never happened. The Alderson family was not poor and Helen was a GOOD COOK.

The Darrowby show;  never happened like that in market square. The show was called the Darrowby-Hulton show. It was held every year on the Hulton estate and consisted of games , a beer tent, local family pets, different farm animal competition, entertainment,  dancing and a gymkhana horse jumping event.

See the 1979-1991 series to have a look at what the show would have looked like.

Mrs. Hall, does not have a derelict husband. In real life- in the books she is a widow, and in the series 1-3 1978-,80 Mrs. Hall keeps house for the vets until they go off to war and also for newly qualified Tristan during the war until Tristan goes off to serve. In real life and in the Special Christmas series a in-between series 3&4 the vets come back after the war and there is a tribute to Mrs Hall because she dies after Tristin leaves for war, after which there is a series of housekeepers. 

Sorry Al, Yes the scenery is spectacular, the cars are great, But after reading all of the James Herriot books and seen the complete 1978-1990 series, a series I might add whose script was taken directly out of the Herriot books with few alterations I knew this series was doomed for me.

The 78-91 series were actually filmed in most of the places where Herriot practiced, where as this new series was filmed out of Herriot's district. I was lucky enough to travel to all of the major spots filmed a couple of times ( 1980 and 1982) and also Meet Alf Wight ( James Herriot) while he was very much alive and well and still in veterinary practice.

Lets just say Alf and Joan Wight and Donald and Audrey Sinclair ( Siegfried ) had somewhat of a influence on how the 1978-90 series was filmed and had a profound influence on the actors in that series. They all knew each other. That's a huge advantage to great actors.   

• Like 1

Just now, alsfarms said:

Interesting about the Dodge material also.  I have a 1937 DeSoto coupe with the 25" Chrysler designed engine in it.  I have scrounged around and have bought a later production 265 Chrysler industrial engine to use as a donor when I rebuild the DeSoto.  I also have a 302 GMC engine waiting to be installed in place of the 248 in the old dump truck mentioned above.  I then will install the 248 engine in a 1949 GMC pick-up truck out back.  Were the Bedfords exported throughout the United Kingdom in great numbers?

Al

For a long time the Bedford was biggest selling truck in New Zealand, and also probably in many other British Commonwealth countries.

I haven't studied the subject but I think the truck industry is quite different to the car industry. I think the fact that the US big three sold off their big truck making divisions is a clue.

• Like 1

Hello Pfeil,  Thanks for your observations and comparisons to the original characters and show with this new version.  I have not taken the time to have a "movie marathon" and watch the all the original series from start to finish.  Your perspective is important as you have been there and met original folks.  On the other subject, yes I have been humored and have enjoyed "As Time Goes By" and do recall how Lionel simply was not humored at all or even with the idea that a "rewrite" would make him more money.  That is another nice BBC show that is fun to watch.  In conclusion, I simply do not have the depth of experience with the subject of the series All Creatures Great and Small", but I do enjoy it for what it is.  I consider this current "All Creatures Large and Small" of way better quality that most of the US shows available on TV currently.  I can miss most other shows but it aggravates me if I am required to miss "All Creatures Large and Small".

nzcarnerd,  What do you think is the current world wide "work horse" of the trucking industry?  You are right, GM has sold off its big trucks, Ford has, Chrysler has also as well as the old International Harvester is gone from the heavy trucks?  I suppose Volvo, Mercedes and I guess Fiat are a few of the big players?

Al