Jump to content

All Creatures Great and Small (automobile identifications)?


Recommended Posts

I am an avid watcher of the BBC Masterpiece movies.  The current Materpiece is "All Creatures Great and Small" is certantily not a let down.  I have read all the short stories written by the main character in the Readers Digest in years past.  Being a country boy I can most certainly relate to the various situations that James H. wrote about.  Now to the point, there are several automobiles, trucks and a bus that I would like to ID.  Can any expert here who knows British vehicles please respond.  What is the pug nosed bus, a "C" cab truck in the background of one town scene, a green tourer (I think it is a Singer type and probably an early 4AD) and what is the blue sedan that has bad brakes?  This series is a very good watch!

Al

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the first episode last night. Well worth watching. That list ply 33 linked to looks accurate to me. I was surprised the sports car is a Rover. I always think of them as good quality but mild mannered sedans.

 

Greg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello ply33,  Thanks for the link.  That does fill in the gaps for sure about what cars are starring in this Materpiece Production.  I was almost to bet that the green tourer was going to be a Singer 9, I was wrong!  Any other thoughts as we enjoy our way through this Masterpiece adventure!

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great series. We lived in Scotland and watched the original.  In that original series the cars used were Morris 8 tourers.  The owners were good friends who had two of them.  One they loaned out for filming and the other was their daily driver.  At the end of a season's filming, they flipped the cars around and began a restoration on the daily driver while using the car that had been loaned to film the series. 

Terry

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Do you have any pictures of those two Morris 8 tourers from the original Highlander series?  Please share if you do....

Al

Not the Highlander series - All Creatures Great and Small.   I probably have pictures somewhere in an album and would need to scan them.  Sounds like another project I'll need to get around to.  Will see what I can find.

Terry

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Terry,

I didn't know that this current Masterpiece production of "All Creatures Great and Small" is a reboot of a previous earlier series.  If you are not watching, it is certainly one of those "feel good" series for sure.

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites

 When Bill Sellars did the TV series " All Creatures Great and Small" late 70's-early 90's, he promised Alf Wight he would stick as close to the books as close as possible. Not so in this new series. Interesting, in real life and the original TV series Mrs. Hall is supposed to be a elderly house keeper, a minor player in real life and in the original 70's-90's series. In this series she's young and plays a more dominate role and eats supper with Siegfried... Siegfried in those days would find it absurd to eat with a house keeper!

 I knew after watching Bert Sharps cow with a blocked teat that needed a Hudson operation that happened to like to shake hands turn into a Shire horse with gravel ( pus in the foot ), supposedly shake hands. Bert Sharp never had a Shire horse.

 

 No one could ever replace Christopher Timothy (James Herriot), Peter Davison ( Tristan), and most of all one of the best actors EVER, Robert Hardy ( Siegfried Farnon) I know Alf Wight would disapprove. 

 Robert Hardy, Harry Potter actor who played Churchill eight times | The  Independent | The Independent

 

It reminds me of how the second Thomas Crown Affair never lived up to the McQueen / Dunaway performance

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Not the Highlander series - All Creatures Great and Small.   I probably have pictures somewhere in an album and would need to scan them.  Sounds like another project I'll need to get around to.  Will see what I can find.

Terry

image.jpeg.1e5a2c3532163f03db3c41822575d64a.jpegAdventures in Tory Land - Blog | Katie Barron, a Liberal Democrat in the  UK, discusses politics and motherhoodJames Herriotimage.jpeg.acebea2f9de92a2485f44b674462fb4f.jpegimage.jpeg.15a8f0445e83db9a0e3a0fd913001cb6.jpegimage.jpeg.a2b60ececc92bf534be9993f0238597e.jpegimage.jpeg.235b969fb8bf9fd7a425bb3a22697c28.jpegimage.jpeg.bc5c2338d9d2413b3e83da2fe661290d.jpegimage.jpeg.4e53d250f1b28437bf64a3f80a42cec0.jpeg The orig. series ran 1930-50's

One Of Nature's Little Miracles (1988) Thornborough Hall, Leyburn, North  #Yorkshire - Tristan at The Ministry of Agricul… | James herriot, Shot  film, Bbc tv seriesWatch Season 1 of All Creatures Great and Small Free Streaming Online - Plex100+ All creatures great and small ideas | james herriot, creatures,  yorkshire dales90+ James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small ideas | james herriot,  yorkshire dales, shot film

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

 When Bill Sellars did the TV series " All Creatures Great and Small" late 70's-early 90's, he promised Alf Wight he would stick as close to the books as close as possible. Not so in this new series. Interesting, in real life and the original TV series Mrs. Hall is supposed to be a elderly house keeper, a minor player in real life and in the original 70's-90's series. In this series she's young and plays a more dominate role and eats supper with Siegfried... Siegfried in those days would find it absurd to eat with a house keeper!

 I knew after watching Bert Sharps cow with a blocked teat that needed a Hudson operation that happened to like to shake hands turn into a Shire horse with gravel ( pus in the foot ), supposedly shake hands. Bert Sharp never had a Shire horse.

 

 No one could ever replace Christopher Timothy (James Herriot), Peter Davison ( Tristan), and most of all one of the best actors EVER, Robert Hardy ( Siegfried Farnon) I know Alf Wight would disapprove. 

 Robert Hardy, Harry Potter actor who played Churchill eight times | The  Independent | The Independent

 

It reminds me of how the second Thomas Crown Affair never lived up to the McQueen / Dunaway performance

It is definitely a different interpretation of the books than the earlier series. I am finding this new one interesting and fun to watch even if it isn't following the books as closely. Mrs Hall is definitely quite a different personality as is Helen Alderson.

 

One thing I caught on, I think episode 3, was Tristan putting is boots up on a desk and seeing vibram soles. Pretty sure those weren't available (or at least common) until after WW2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In these days of political and existential ( I had to look that adjective up, but it sounds impressive) turmoil, I heartily recommend the James Herriot series of books and the original TV series.  The actor who portrayed Siegfried Farnon, Robert Hardy, was incredible in that role.  The writers could not have produced the dialog that Hardy often seemed to ad lib.  He was great.  If you haven't read the the books by James Herriot, I highly recommend them as they will recharge your spirit and re-connect you with what is really important: family, friends and people.

 

Cheers,

Grog

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ply33 said:

It is definitely a different interpretation of the books than the earlier series. I am finding this new one interesting and fun to watch even if it isn't following the books as closely. Mrs Hall is definitely quite a different personality as is Helen Alderson.

 

One thing I caught on, I think episode 3, was Tristan putting is boots up on a desk and seeing vibram soles. Pretty sure those weren't available (or at least common) until after WW2.

One of the great things of the first series 70's-90 was the fact that all the major players actually knew Alf and Joan Wight and Donald Sinclair and his wife Audrey.

Ironically Sinclair's took his own life two weeks after his wife died and four months previously Alf died. I remember in the paper clippings ( I still have them somewhere) that he was in great despair over those losses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, capngrog said:

In these days of political and existential ( I had to look that adjective up, but it sounds impressive) turmoil, I heartily recommend the James Herriot series of books and the original TV series.  The actor who portrayed Siegfried Farnon, Robert Hardy, was incredible in that role.  The writers could not have produced the dialog that Hardy often seemed to ad lib.  He was great.  If you haven't read the the books by James Herriot, I highly recommend them as they will recharge your spirit and re-connect you with what is really important: family, friends and people.

 

Cheers,

Grog

 

 Especially these time because of the virus my car guy buddies can't meet up for lunches etc. I take either of my VW's out to a place in the forest overlooking my town and get out a chair and read a few chapters of the books. Those cars ( 1930's design ) always have one of Alf's books in them to help cheer me up. Having met the real James Herriot a couple of times and toured the Dales extensively a couple of times I feel a real connection for that place and the books bring me back.

Image previewImage preview

Prescott Area Real Estate | Susan West | RE/MAX Mountain Properties

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have waited 30 years for All Creatures to return to TV.  While I was initially a bit disappointed that the current offering is a remake I thought the installment I saw was well done and maintained the atmosphere of the original.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, alsfarms said:

The Highlander series was a bit more intense.  I had no idea that Rover had such a nice looking tourer.  I wonder what the engine size and HP would be?

Al

The tourer is a 1935 P1 series Rover 12 with a 1.5 litre 48 horsepower 4 cylinder ioe engine.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm, The Rover tourer would be a near competitor for a Model A Ford but with a much more sexy body type.  I am sure that we will be seeing more of that automobile in future episodes along with the poor old blue sedan.

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

hmmm, The Rover tourer would be a near competitor for a Model A Ford but with a much more sexy body type.  I am sure that we will be seeing more of that automobile in future episodes along with the poor old blue sedan.

Al

The "poor old blue sedan (saloon)" is a 1933 Vauxhall Light 6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I have waited 30 years for All Creatures to return to TV.  While I was initially a bit disappointed that the current offering is a remake I thought the installment I saw was well done and maintained the atmosphere of the original.

I think the sets, and in particular the interior sets, are much more believable for the era than the original series. And the actors are good. It is disconcerting when they touch on a story that I know well from the books but have totally turned things around. And there are turns of phrase that I am pretty sure are anachronisms but I blame the script writers for that rather than the actors. But overall, it is an enjoyable series to watch. We donate to our local PBS station so we can watch the things shown as "passport" on our Roku which seems to be all the episodes of the new series. Not sure where they are on over the air broadcasting of the series.

 

If you have a smart TV or streaming device you can watch the original series. At least on Roku there is a paid channel called BritBox which is owned/managed/run by BBC and another UK broadcaster and they have all the seasons of the original series available on demand. Near as I can tell, the later seasons were never shown on US PBS and have stories and people that were not in the books.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I have waited 30 years for All Creatures to return to TV.  While I was initially a bit disappointed that the current offering is a remake I thought the installment I saw was well done and maintained the atmosphere of the original.

 

Many people don't realize that in America, All Creatures Great and Small ( 1970's-1990)  only aired Series 1-3. There were Two specials afterward and then series 4-7 were never shown here. If you really like the first three I urge you to buy the whole collection.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, capngrog said:

In these days of political and existential ( I had to look that adjective up, but it sounds impressive) turmoil, I heartily recommend the James Herriot series of books and the original TV series.  The actor who portrayed Siegfried Farnon, Robert Hardy, was incredible in that role.  The writers could not have produced the dialog that Hardy often seemed to ad lib.  He was great.  If you haven't read the the books by James Herriot, I highly recommend them as they will recharge your spirit and re-connect you with what is really important: family, friends and people.

 

Cheers,

Grog

 

The actor portraying Siegfried Farnon in the new series does have a good pedigree, being the son of Timothy West and Prunella Scales. I think his Siegfried is a cross of his father Timothy and Robert Hardy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Pfeil, I didn't know to what extent the original version was shown only that I did enjoy the books and now this reboot.  It is nice to watch something "quality"  on TV instead of the typical stuff.  I wonder if the original series may be found on Netflix?

Al

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ply33 said:

I think the sets, and in particular the interior sets, are much more believable for the era than the original series. And the actors are good. It is disconcerting when they touch on a story that I know well from the books but have totally turned things around. And there are turns of phrase that I am pretty sure are anachronisms but I blame the script writers for that rather than the actors. But overall, it is an enjoyable series to watch. We donate to our local PBS station so we can watch the things shown as "passport" on our Roku which seems to be all the episodes of the new series. Not sure where they are on over the air broadcasting of the series.

 

If you have a smart TV or streaming device you can watch the original series. At least on Roku there is a paid channel called BritBox which is owned/managed/run by BBC and another UK broadcaster and they have all the seasons of the original series available on demand. Near as I can tell, the later seasons were never shown on US PBS and have stories and people that were not in the books.

 I have seen many interviews with the original cast, plus staring in series 4 Carol Drinkwater was replaced by Lynda Bellingham, and there was a new vet added based on a assistant to the practice who's name was Calum Buchanan ( a mate of Tristan's in vet. college ) - real life John McGlynn.

 

James: Siegfried has been in one of those silent, uncommunicative moods recently.
Tristan: That means he’s brooding.
James: …You haven’t been up to anything have you?
Tristan: I don’t know, have I?

 Robert Hardy in a interview dictated to the producer Bill Sellars that things had to be right from the start in every way. Example, Originally the outdoor scenes were going to be filmed someplace out of Yorkshire. Hardy said he would not do the character Siegfried Farnon unless it was filmed in the Dales. Hardy, a master of the English language was a perfectionist in and out of his craft. Hardy was also a author. Try reading his book on the history of the English Long Bow. Hardy was a excellent horseman as well-and proved it in the filming of All Creatures Great and Small.

 I forgot to mention Johnny Pearson who wrote the music for  the series;

All Creatures Great And Small TV Series - Johnny ... - YouTube

 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

The cars on that show were beautiful, even though utilitarian, but I had no idea what they were. I do know they were generally a lot cleaner and dent free than most rural cars in the US were back in the thirties, and I'm guessing the same was true in the UK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JamesR said:

The cars on that show were beautiful, even though utilitarian, but I had no idea what they were. I do know they were generally a lot cleaner and dent free than most rural cars in the US were back in the thirties, and I'm guessing the same was true in the UK. 

Which show? In the original series the cars were often muddy, like in real life. Tristan drives the Morris eight tourer right through the back of their garage ( all shown on TV ).  In another episode we see Siegfried has the flu, and James's car in in the garage so Tristan has to Borrow Siegfried's

new Rover to take James on his rounds. So Tristan is driving really fast, looks at James, looks back to the road and there is a shepherd and a flock of sheep in the road. We next see the Rover with both left wings badly damaged and both left side doors ripped off lying on the ground. Needless to say when they get back to the surgery Siegfried almost has a heart attack.

 

 In the beginning of a episode in the early series you see Siegfrieds 1933 Austin 12/4 going through watersplash ( watersplash is  at the bottom of a hill where a stream flows over the road=watersplash) at a fair clip no problem. I tried that in a MG Metro rental in the same spot and almost ripped the oil pan off!

Four Days up at Masham - A Nostalgic Trip Down Memory Lane - Locations of  All Creatures Great and Small. - billatbingley - Random Jottingsimage.jpeg.38fb48ac37f5b64c5f06b7d83e5d6f3d.jpegimage.jpeg.fb9fd90f3958593d0d2ba5bc2c90a884.jpeg

It seemed the only times the cars were clean is when Siegfried bought a new/used one.

This shot is where the Austin goes through and demolishes the Darrowby Golf Club Hut.

the hut is in the foreground; Best All Creatures Great and Small Episodes | Episode Ninja

   

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

. . . In the beginning of a episode in the early series you see Siegfrieds 1933 Austin 12/4 going through watersplash ( watersplash is a road at the bottom of a hill where a stream flows over the road=watersplash) at a fair clip no problem. I tried that in a MG Metro rental in the same spot and almost ripped the oil pan off! . . .

   

“Watersplash”? I have never come across that word before. Is it a UK term for a ford?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ply33 said:

“Watersplash”? I have never come across that word before. Is it a UK term for a ford?

Fore Gill Gate near Langthwaite, North Yorkshire is right next to Watersplash. Watersplash is pictured in Herriot's picture book James Herriot's Yorkshire and the caption says Watersplash. It is a local term, The only way I found it was to ask in the pub in Langthwaite

Famous for being a location used in the opening titles of the 1970's tv series 'All creatures great and small'. Located high on the moors in the Yorkshire Dales.

 image.jpeg.cc6781411f794206cf6dcd5a6cd5edbc.jpegThere is Fore gate with watersplash in the foreground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

In the original series the cars were often muddy, like in real life.

The cars were dusty, but not rusty. Muddy, even, but never dented. In the thirties there was the Depression over there like there was here.

 

The show used restored or well maintained cars and had to treat them properly. I understand that, and loved that show dearly, regardless.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This new reboot of a book series and earlier BBC movie, is simply a nice watch.  A bit of humor, a bit of drama, a reference to human nature and human relations and great scenery.  This Masterpiece production is simply meant to be enjoyed.

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, 1912Staver said:

I saw the first episode last night. Well worth watching. That list ply 33 linked to looks accurate to me. I was surprised the sports car is a Rover. I always think of them as good quality but mild mannered sedans.

 

Greg

A few immediately post WW2 P3 6 cylinder Rovers were factory equipped with 3 SU carburetors. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JamesR said:

The cars were dusty, but not rusty. Muddy, even, but never dented. In the thirties there was the Depression over there like there was here.

 

The show used restored or well maintained cars and had to treat them properly. I understand that, and loved that show dearly, regardless.

 

 

Are you referring to the 1978-1991 series? If you are, that's not the case. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious about the green Rover tourer shown in the current Masterpiece version.  Does anyone know how many Rovers, of this body style, were put out by the factory?  What is the likely survival rate for this automobile.  What is the parent company that built the Rover? 

Al

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what kind of car Julia Taviner is driving? This shot 1978-1990's series she is mauling Tristan while Mrs. Hall and friends look on in horror just outside of Skeldale House ( in the real town called Askrigg ). ASKRIGG's Skeldale house was Siegfried's house and surgery in that series ( shot through three decades)was In Darrowby

TV Time - All Creatures Great and Small S02E06 - Faint Hearts (TVShow Time)

 

In the books and in T.V. they live in Darrowby. In real life they live in Thirsk. In the books Siegfried and Tristan have a mother that lives in Broughton. In real life their mother lived in Harrogate.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something you should know about in that 1978-90's series. The actors under vet supervision were allowed to do many more procedures on the animals than they are today. Everything in that series really seemed real which was the goal, including dented cars. A example; James and Tristan are called out to remove a growth on a colt. There was a miscommunication and when they get to the farm they find out that this colt is a six year old stallion, a mean stallion. When Christopher Timothy ( James Herriot) gets into the loose box with this horse the horse starts lashing out with his hind leg nearing slicing him up. All on film. These guys had a lot of guts! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I am curious about the green Rover tourer shown in the current Masterpiece version.  Does anyone know how many Rovers, of this body style, were put out by the factory?  What is the likely survival rate for this automobile.  What is the parent company that built the Rover? 

Al

Total P1 Rover production 1934-36 was 5775 cars made up of saloon, sports saloon and open tourer.  There does not appear to be a breakdown by body type.  Saloon bodies were made by the Pressed Steel Company, don't know about the tourer, but it was steel over wood framework.  Chassis was underslung at the rear.  Independent company simply known as the Rover Automobile Company.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...