Portable brake light and taillights

29 Chandler

Has anybody found a good solution for installing portable brake lights and taillights? Our 1914 Chandler has one functioning taillight as originally equipped. 

I would love to find a portable LED solution like they have for cyclist. You can now get a taillight with a built in motion sensor that flashes when the rider hits the brakes. No wires to run and easy to attach. The only problem I see with these is their size relative to what you would expect to see on a car.

I have seen the unit that Jay Leno has promoted in the past. In fact last weekend we were behind him in one of his Duesenbergs on the freeway and you could barley see his turn signals. I wound up cutting the lane for him as it was very hard for other drivers to see the lights on his car.

It seems the technology exists to have a full brake light, taillight, and turn signal combination that could be added or moved from car to car without any modification to the vehicle, I just have not found it yet.

Not sure if this would work for you or not but having purchase a car that was rear ended this is what I'm doing. My car has the spare tire mounted on the the back so I mounted one of these just above the tire. Not really noticeable until you apply the brakes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Lights-2007-2018-Wrangler-Unlimited/dp/B01E55CUP8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=jeep+wrangler+3rd+brake+light&qid=1605288680&sr=8-6

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

What I am really looking for is a portable (read wireless) solution for a 100 plus year old vehicle. The previous owner installed a set of hardwired turn signals and brake lights about 60 years ago that I want to replace with a simpler set up. We have the technology; motion sensing switch for the brakes, capable batteries, and LEDs. I am really surprised there is not more demand for this. 

Has any one tried one of the solutions used for cyclist? 

I looked at those, but they serve a different purpose. If I understand it correctly these would communicate with your tow vehicle.

We I (we) really need is a light system that can be attached to the rear of a running driving vehicle that independent of the rest of the car will provide brake and taillights, turn signals would be a plus.

I am trying to avoid a system that I have to plug in to my car's wiring and be dependent on its battery. If they could just scale up a cyclists system we would have a match.

I know for most classic car owners this need is a bit bizarre. For owners of Horseless Carriages our cars never had a brake light or even more than one dim light on the rear. 

I have a set of battery-powered LEDs with magnets that work as either bright white headlights or red taillights (used for bicycles), but they don't interact with brakes or anything like that; they're just on or off. I suspect the problem with the solution you're seeking might be how you get temporary lights to interface with an ancient car wirelessly. What triggers the brake lights if you're not connecting any wires? I suppose you could use some sort of inductive clamp on a brake light wire, but I'm not certain that there would be enough current flowing to a 6V taillight bulb to really be reliable. And if you're connecting wires to make the temporary lights work, you may as well just install the LEDs like Fossil recommended. I just installed a Brakelighter (LED 3rd brake light) in my '41 Buick and I'm pretty happy with the improved visibility when I'm stopping. It's not terribly visible when not in use and it was easy enough to install. It can also be configured to flash if your car is already equipped with turn signals.

There's probably a bit of a market there, but surely a niche one and the engineering isn't quite so simple as it might appear initially.

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C6304-Round-Wireless-Towing/dp/B00BJEICDS/

Yes but these have a regular 4-pin trailer connection. Wireless is hard part.

Seems easy enough to make a hand or foot panel with a 12v battery and some pushbuttions. Prolly have enough stuff here to toss togeter sommat. Maybe even a rocker for turn signals.

Want egg in your beer ?

4pin.jpg

5 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Has any one tried one of the solutions used for cyclist? 

I've sometimes thought that some type of rear light

would be good for my 1916 car.  I drive on back roads

without a lot of traffic, but any extra caution could be helpful.  

How about the orange flasher lights used for construction?

Perhaps they could operate off their own battery and be

bolted onto something at the rear of the car.

If they were on all the time, flashing regularly, it would

warn approaching cars that the vehicle ahead was slower. 

I've thought of bicylists' flashing lights, too, perhaps

battery-powered.  I don't know what products are out there.

His car did not come with a signal light ( old term for the brake light). Any device that would detect deceleration could also triggered by hills, bumps etc. Mechanically activating  a switch would be the best way, Unplug and remove the brake light when parked.

2 minutes ago, MochetVelo said:

Search under "wireless turn signal" on eBay, etc. They sell them for bikes. I used one on my Hupmobile. It uses a little remote that I had my passenger controlling. It stuck on with a magnet. Here is the type I got.

Phil

s-l1600.jpg

Phil how visible is light to other drivers? This is the kind of set up I am think about, just concerned about the size and visibility for other drivers.

18 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Phil how visible is light to other drivers? This is the kind of set up I am think about, just concerned about the size and visibility for other drivers.

They are LED lights, and quite bright. A light in the center can be set to flash continuously, if desired (legal in PA, I think).

Phil 

So here is what I just bought and installed: Milan X5 Light, it is a taillight, automatic brake light, and turn signals all in one small package that quickly installs on the spare tire. I used the valve stem as the mounting point. I may strap it to the tire in the future. Here's a few pictures. IMG_8080.thumb.jpeg.50edcf03086cf8987460461476083229.jpegIMG_8090.thumb.jpeg.dd327f42b71206629ec07afdcc181f5a.jpegIMG_8085.thumb.jpeg.561d4cceb90936dd67a504b1162a1403.jpeg

I'll have to see later when it get dark how visible the light is. In the daylight it seems pretty bright right out of the box.

• Like 6