Looking for a (1920 or earlier) automobile in any condition, Thank you

SANDOW

15 hours ago, SANDOW said:

I’m really not sure and it will change over time as resources come and go. Did you have something? Thanks

The amount of money you have to spend determines what cars you can buy. Therefore is the most important factor in what you should be looking at. It will also help folks to know what they should be showing you.

• Like 2

I get people in my shop all the time that say "I can spend anything I want on a car!" Then after wasting a bunch of time they might have $10,000. Which is plenty to find a fun car. But you shouldn't be asking to test drive a brand new Ferrari. The days of the little old lady giving away a Duesenberg for $5 are long gone. Today most of the little old ladies think their 84 Corvette is worth $1,000,000. So setting a price range or getting pre qualified for a loan is the best route.

When someone calls me to find them a car. But can't tell me their budget I tell them I can't help you.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

I get people in my shop all the time that say "I can spend anything I want on a car!" Then after wasting a bunch of time they might have $10,000. Which is plenty to find a fun car. But you shouldn't be asking to test drive a brand new Ferrari. The days of the little old lady giving away a Duesenberg for $5 are long gone. Today most of the little old ladies think their 84 Corvette is worth $1,000,000. So setting a price range or getting pre qualified for a loan is the best route.

When someone calls me to find them a car. But can't tell me their budget I tell them I can't help you.

And the corollary to this: whatever the price may be, it's still too much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I don’t want to necessarily say 10k because if someone had a car for 20k who would meet at 15, but never contacted me because my budget was to low then I might have missed out on a car that I would have potentially had the funds for. Not to mention people start out at one number and it sells for another, plus if it takes me a few months or years to find the right car my finances/what I’m looking forward may change during that time. I’d also like to pay cash instead of a loan from a longer time owner than an antique car dealer, so if you know any long time Duesenberg owners selling there cars for $5 let me know and I’d pay them double.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Some folks just like to search forever without ever spending any money.

Some folks might, but I’m no just looking for enjoyment because I’d like to own one. Maybe you could give some encouragement or offer help, rather than criticism...

3 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Some folks might, but I’m no just looking for enjoyment because I’d like to own one. Maybe you could give some encouragement or offer help, rather than criticism...

I am trying to help you. The most important thing is the budget. Figure that out then only look at cars in that range. When you find your car go and buy it. Getting upset at others for recognizing a good deal and buying a car before you do will not find you a car. It is better to have a car and enjoy it than to look forever.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

I am trying to help you. The most important thing is the budget. Figure that out then only look at cars in that range. When you find your car go and buy it. Getting upset at others for recognizing a good deal and buying a car before you do will not find you a car. It is better to have a car and enjoy it than to look forever.

I don’t want to start an argument with you as I don’t believe we’ve talked about a time where I’ve gotten upset about something, now there have been some opportunities that I wasn’t as able to jump at, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t learn anything. I also don’t think the most important thing is budget, it’s about your enjoyment and maybe money dictates the car you can afford, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the community and all the opportunities that come your way, even if there “missed.” So do you know of any nice pre-1920s vehicles for sale or maybe books, parts, or good resources?

Edited by SANDOW (see edit history)

13 hours ago, SANDOW said:

I don’t want to start an argument with you as I don’t believe we’ve talked about a time where I’ve gotten upset about something, now there have been some opportunities that I wasn’t as able to jump at, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t learn anything. I also don’t think the most important thing is budget, it’s about your enjoyment and maybe money dictates the car you can afford, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the community and all the opportunities that come your way, even if there “missed.” So do you know of any nice pre-1920s vehicles for sale or maybe books, parts, or good resources?

I know of many pre-1920's cars. What is the most you can spend? When are you prepared to act? This lets me know if I can help you.

39 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

I know of many pre-1920's cars. What is the most you can spend? When are you prepared to act? This lets me know if I can help you.

If you want to help, message me the details. If not, then have a nice day.

• 4 months later...

I have a 1917 Oakland Touring Car for sale. I also have a 1928 Packard Convertible Coupe I'm considering selling. Both are cars you likely won't see another of at standard events, unless going to Pebble Beach. They both need a lot of work, but are fairly complete.

■1917 Oakland:

-Complete rolling car

-Has full drivetrain, missing minor parts.

-Engine Turns over.

-All suspension and linkage is assembled still and in working condition.

-Car was cut decades ago to be an oilfield truck for Halliburton. They never completed the conversion after cutting the back half section of the body.

-Everything that is there, is rust free, and very very solid. Car was stored inside a dry building for decades.

$4500

■1928 Packard 526 Convertible Coupe

-Mostly Complete body.

-Body is rough in areas, and has heavy rust damage in others. (Primarily running boards & front portion of chassis on drivers side.

-Complete Body minus decklid and driver rear fender.

-Although no good to use, it has most of the wood Convertible top, with much of the steel brackets still attached to the wood.

-Original Drivetrain is still in Car. 

-Some Extra parts available with it as well that I've picked up for her.

-Extremely difficult to find Car unless looking to spend 100k plus on a fully restored car. This is an opportunity for someone to own this car, without the hefty price tag upfront.

$15,000

I have hundreds of pictures of these cars, many of which are on my FB shop page:

Facebook.com/RodsNRailsDTX

You can find all of my contact info there, and it doesn't require you to have a FB account to do so. My shop page is public!

Thanks,

Rob

20200612_073615_optimized.jpg

20211214_194333.jpg

I have a 21 REO Touring Car for sale (red/black).  Asking 24K but would entertain a reasonable offer.  Selling to pursue a 24 REO that my dad owned at one time.  I would consider parting with my 20 Elgin but would probably want a bit more for that car as it is rare (less than 15 Elgin’s known to be left).  Thanks.

43E22319-36D9-4AB0-A5E4-38B4A1A74A5D.jpeg

3A690FBE-3AF3-42BF-8B5B-A136576A17E3.jpeg

Here is a real decent running car with new tires... drive as is and slowly improve it... $7,000

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1920-buick-touring-rare-top.1251143/ 

My 1920 Buick K45 touring car with a rare REX ALL SEASONS Top. These tops were made for the Buick cars by REX co. of Connersville, Indiana. This car was purchased new by a Doctor in East St. Louis, IL.. Drove it until 1933 and stored it until 1958. Has rebuilt motor, New Firestone tires, new battery, new radiator hoses, new water pump packing, new complete wiring harness but not installed, rebuilt carburetor, dropped oil pan for inspection and remounted with new gasket, did a compression check (excellent), readjusted rockers, readjusted steering, much more.. this is not a restored car. No title but I do have the Original 1920 Bill of sale from the Buick Dealership in East St. Louis.. Call if your serious, 618-889-6855.. Red Crown sign is not for sale

DSC04689.JPGDSC04861.JPGDSC04963.JPG