1968 Buick Riviera HELLLLPPPP!!

I bought a 1968 Buick Riviera well more stole it with the price I paid. It had been sitting in a garage for 20 years and not moved. I bought it towed it to my house and had it running a few days later after I bought a new coil and new points. The old coil actually was probably fine but I changed it out anyways. It has the 430 motor in it, and I was wondering if anyone has a wire diagram for this car. I bought a repair manual at least i thought it was, turns out its for the body not the motor or electrical. I have found a page where the guy uploaded alot of information about a 64 riveira but im not sure how many things changed as it was the year for federal safety things. I drove the car around my yard and I started taking the motor apart now. Mainly because I want to put new gaskets on it from the heads up and clean the motor up to show worthy. I was going to go more HP but I am doing everything with my daughter and I don't really want to get into all of that a quick pull of the motor to clean it up and drop back in is ok with me. However, who ever worked on it before cut a lot of wires and spliced into them so i want to start there and make sure every wire is in the factory spot and nothing else added. Thanks everyone. 

You'll probably want to buy a specific manual for your car, but in the mean time here is a link to the Team Buick site that has the info available.

120-114.png

Good Luck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James1983 said:

When I said I stole it means I just got a great great dea. I did pay 100$ for it. 

I apologize for the way I came across.  Stole is the right word!  Sometimes people just want to get out of a project or get the car off the property.  This leaves you plenty more budget to work on the car.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you I am very appreciated to all that are responding. This is my first project car and I want to take it slow but I also don’t have any car guys around me to help out on things I get stuck on like if i should have it machined for more horse power what cam I should use etc. my plan right now because I don’t have a machine shop is to pull the motor and atleast get it cleaned up real nice and do a new gasket set from heads up. Probably timing chain and cover just cause I’m pulling the motor to clean. @kgreen I understand what you are saying completely. The guy wasn’t doing anything with it. But had been sitting in his garage for 20 years. 

• 3 weeks later...

The difference between your 68 and a 64 Riviera is MAJOR.  The whole drivetrain and motor (64 is a 425 Nailhead while the 68 has a 430 in it) are completely changed.

Body and interior is 2nd generation vs 1st gen for the 64.

Find a manual as other people have said. The best $ 50 or so dollars you can spend.

• 11 months later...

I was a member of the Riviera Owners Association.It a great club with a magazine, and lots of resources available. I've had several Rivs and I'm sorry I let them go. Now I can't afford the buy in price. Good luck. The 430 is a very good motor, much more modern than the Nailhead, but I love Nailheads.