Survey Says: Millennials and Gen Z care about classic cars after all

kfle

7 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

32 and both of my vehicles (technically I think they're both family cars....) nothing super crazy. I started working in IT while I was going to university and it has been pretty good to me though it has long hours and can be a very high pressure environment  

I think I've posted on similar threads before that the biggest killer around here to getting young people interested is the cost of real estate, to afford anything with space for a vehicle is easily $1m+ (though covid might make a dent in it I guess)  

image.thumb.png.1416b587edd9edaf57042fa20997f1ff.png

Same here, Vancouver Canada area. Very large percentage of younger family's  are limited to Condo's , Apts, Town House  situations.  Single Family  houses  are way out of reach to 

vast majority. Even out here in the extended burbs 1 Million $ Canadian is more or less ground floor on a conventional house.  There are a few cheaper , but essentially tear downs.

And $60,000 - $70,000 CDN is good yearly income. Most younger people make quite a bit less. That house cost, principal + interest { interest is NOT a tax deduction in Canada }

and taxes / insurance represents a very large chunk of a normal , lifetime , after tax income in Canada. Even if a younger person somehow managed to buy a house at todays price level

most likely there would be very little money left over for a hobby car. And a few deluded individuals even want to have a child on top of the mortgage. Bank of Mom and Pop ?

Greg

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Same here, Vancouver Canada area. Very large percentage of younger family's  are limited to Condo's , Apts, Town House  situations.  Single Family  houses  are way out of reach to 

vast majority. Even out here in the extended burbs 1 Million $ Canadian is more or less ground floor on a conventional house.  There are a few cheaper , but essentially tear downs.

And $60,000 - $70,000 CDN is good yearly income. Most younger people make quite a bit less. That house cost, principal + interest { interest is NOT a tax deduction in Canada }

and taxes / insurance represents a very large chunk of a normal , lifetime , after tax income in Canada. Even if a younger person somehow managed to buy a house at todays price level

most likely there would be very little money left over for a hobby car. And a few deluded individuals even want to have a child on top of the mortgage. Bank of Mom and Pop ?

Very similar to here, average income in the major cities is around $75k CDN - you would be living a long long way out of town to buy a house on that (20+ miles). Our city has been very developer friendly over the years, so you're competing against that as well - period houses with nothing wrong with them are torn down to build hordes of crappy apartments (my wife rented one before we were married, changed her perspective on their being 'less problems' with new builds - water leaks everywhere and black mould). Australia is also one of the only places that lets you offset your income tax with property 'losses' which again has propped up the property prices.

It is do-able but very difficult, though I will be very interested to see what post COVID looks like given it has shown that a lot of things can be done working from home. A long commute once a week is a lot more palatable for the times you do have to go into the office etc

I wonder how the dramatic rise in telecommuters caused by the pandemic is going to work out. Began full time telecommuting in 2004 (computer equipment at home was better than what was at work anyway). Figured I had an extra hour and a half a day (commute was 23 miles), and $250/month less expenses.

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

It is do-able but very difficult, though I will be very interested to see what post COVID looks like given it has shown that a lot of things can be done working from home. A long commute once a week is a lot more palatable for the times you do have to go into the office etc

Apparently, Covid has not affected the price of houses here in Canada: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/house-prices-canada_ca_5f885d31c5b681f7da1f5dc8

Craig

3 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Apparently, Covid has not affected the price of houses here in Canada: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/house-prices-canada_ca_5f885d31c5b681f7da1f5dc8

we get the same articles here mostly from people with vested interests trying to bump up property prices, prices have definitely fallen here (my wife and I keep an eye on the market)

I think the work from home thing is still a very limited situation. Within my family / friends ; close to 75 people in the workforce, only a very small number have a mainly work from home job.

Healthcare { several } pretty hard without the patient present. Trades  { several}. A couple of teachers might be able to do some work from home.  One friend is a engineering consultant and does quite a bit of his job from home.

But most have to be at the worksite and actually do things rather than strictly computer based work.

Greg

18 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Home prices certainly haven't gone DOWN any, at least in the big cities.

Melbourne is the second biggest city in Australia (5m+), they're still ridiculously expensive but not what they were a year ago (though the quality on the market has been pretty rubbish, as you can't hold open houses here at the moment) 

The language coming out of my work sounds like people are going to have the option of predominately working from home in the future, a lot of people have families where the flexibility has been beneficial. 

Pickings on Craigslist are a lots less than in June. Dunno if people don't want to show cars, or just not as many for sale.

"most have to be at the worksite and actually do things " depends on your field. Of course back in the '90s received an award for being a "virtual employee" & most work was for/at field offices. Back in 80s received an award for reprogramming a computer on Long Island from Orlando (same time had long distance phone use yanked for "excessive use". That lasted just long enough for division president to hear about it...).

Today many things particularly distance learning can be done virtually. Anything involving computers and even face to face via Zoom doesn't really matter where you are. Many jobs are like that or can be done robotically. OTOH there will always be resistance. Wrote my senior paper on automation of very large (1000 ton+) die casting machines. Scrap was reduced by 30%. Union filed a grievance.

Even things like " virtual " online sales still need people to pick the orders, package , ship, deliver. And LOTS of things still get built, maintained, repaired . Roads , houses buildings in general. Landscaping , mining , garbage, retail sales. City work crews. Snow removal, It's endless.  Tons of delivery at all levels. 

From freight trains to air freight to semi's to small distribution of junk food , bottled water.  Everything man made that exists in the real world  has human hands involved at some stage. Yes there are some jobs that can be done  virtually. But far more involve a person 

at a non home workplace. 

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, padgett said:

Today many things particularly distance learning can be done virtually. Anything involving computers and even face to face via Zoom doesn't really matter where you are. Many jobs are like that or can be done robotically. OTOH there will always be resistance. Wrote my senior paper on automation of very large (1000 ton+) die casting machines. Scrap was reduced by 30%. Union filed a grievance.

There are certain things that can be done remotely but would be quicker in person. My team has been churning out new digital products almost every fortnight since the state of emergency was declared here and there is still stuff that would have been quicker to solve by spending 5 minutes in front of a whiteboard

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Says one construction worker to the other,

"I'm going to work from home tomorrow."  😄

Here's how smart construction could transform home-building after COVID-19  – The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics,  Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

The concept probably started at home on a kitchen table with a couple of boxes of toothpicks and some white glue.

Craig

13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Home prices certainly haven't gone DOWN any, at least in the big cities.

Craig

Go to NY city.  I bet pretty soon they will be paying people to live in the lower end Apts. There has been a pretty big exodus since the Govt. heavy hand in daily lives hit.  While everyone is sheltered in place,  they have found that the cubicle they pay big money for doesn't look as fun or as economically appealing as property in more rural areas,  where the people are posting what they are doing during lock down at their 2000 and up square foot home on a couple to a few hundred acres.  Watch TV all day and listen to your neighbor through the wall or go out and work on your property,  go for an unrestricted walk in the evening with not a soul in site.  Maybe buy a new toy and go play in the mud or go out to your garage and work on your old car.  Sure seems to be appealing to more than a few as sales around here are at a level never seen.

Agree, homes for sale here do not last long. Am odd, have been in the same house for 35 years, just keep adding garage doors. 2,000 sq. ft. of an empty nest in the county is enough for me and two cats. Tend to be a hermit anyway.

15 hours ago, padgett said:

ps many great ideas started out on cocktail napkins. The P38 for one.

All my working drawings at work are called Napkin Drawings by my co-workers. Then someone gets to convert them to professional looking drawings using Solid Works or Visio. 😄

Pencil and paper for me, no time to learn software to draw and imagine.