Oil filter shelf life.

padgett

Good question!  I never gave this thought until now, but the paper filter elements inside the filter could possibly begin to degrade like the pages of my 1950's car magazine pages.  I first got this collection when I was in 8th grade and have painstakingly carried them with me and enjoyed them for 50 years.  The pages definitely have a vulnerable and fragile feel now as compared to their feel back when.  Filter elements are made of a different grade of material, but your question makes me wonder about the integrity of a vintage filter.

AC filters of that vintage were very high quality and made by AC. I have some and still use them and they are that old and older. I have never had a problem. Mine have been stored properly and never exposed to high heat.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave39MD said:

I found my PF24 cutaway and the paper seems to be fine. That said, most everyone is making a quality filter these days and if you have doubts why not go with a new ACDelco, NAPA/Wix or other name brand?

Dave

20201004_073323 (1).jpg

Be careful about some of what you used to think were quality brands - like so much else some have become lowest cost producers - when I was looking after a small fleet I was given a heads up by the national fleet rep from one of the big three to only use OEM filters - at least one well known brand was coming apart and taking out engines which to that point were being replaced under warranty but you are still down a vehicle - this was confirmed by other fleet managers in the same world that I worked.   Lucky for me I was only doing dealer service and specified OEM parts.  As an added bonus often the OEM ones are actually less expensive to buy.  

Don 

Have a Purolator "Boss" on order but may be late tomorrow (if not "delayed"). Meanwhile have a couple of NIB blue PF24s (no new GTO ever came with a PF24 or an R59). Do not care for Delco filters made by Champ Labs (seem to be "E" filters).

Hard to go wrong with the Wix XP filters.

Over the years I've seen many people post oil analysis results and the Wix XP filters always do a great job of trapping contaminants.

I used to run only Bosch filters but have switched over to Wix XP in all my modern cars.