Auburn for sale

Any owner of a 1934 Auburn 652, 1935 653 or 1936 654 convertible coupe or phaeton better keep it under lock and key...or its body might disappear to be found later on an 851 or 852 chassis.  

Thirty years ago near Fort Plain, NY there was a old-time mechanic garage owner who had a '33 Auburn Twelve Speedster stored in an old school bus body, a '34 Auburn 850 convertible phaeton and, the only one I've ever seen, a '35 653 two door brougham among the other cars in his yard.  The 12 speedster and '34 phaeton have long since gone into other collector hands and been restored, but doubtful the brougham survives. 

22 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Don't know about Auburns, so here's a question. I looked at Google images of 653's & they appear to all be phaetons. This one looks like a roadster. Can someone enlighten me & the rest of the unwashed?

A 6 came in a Cabriolet, a Coupe w/rumble seat or w/trunk instead, a Phaeton, a Sedan, and a 2 door Brougham 

21 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Any owner of a 1934 Auburn 652, 1935 653 or 1936 654 convertible coupe or phaeton better keep it under lock and key...or its body might disappear to be found later on an 851 or 852 chassis.  

There are still a few people doing this, but 8's are pretty much all accounted for (plus very much serial number tracked) and it is highly discouraged matched to the cost of an open car being so much to begin with whether a 6 or 8 that there is little economy or profit in doing such.   And keep in mind that if you do it  and pass it off as legitimate then it is basically fraud (and fraud is generally 3x times damages) and ....  The real offenders were converting the Coupes to Cabriolets, but even then there is a separation of the men from the boys.  Basically, the sins of the 70's, 80's, and 90's  have come back as sins today.