Packard coupe in LA

nzcarnerd

L.A.,

Not LA

It may seem a minor point, but to those of us in Louisiana (Postal Abbreviation "LA"), many who do not notice, realize, or maybe even care about the difference, use "LA" when "L.A." for the city/county of Los Angeles, California would be correct.

Just last week my son's Engineering license for his job as Stationary/Plant/Steam Boiler Chief Engineer was being researched by some off-shore Human Resources clerk in preparation for their take-over of the contract where he serves a major university.

He was informed that his degree was in question, as was the university where he supposedly earned it.

They could not find the school where he supposedly studied within " Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, as a part of the city of Los Angeles, California". It took him more than ten minutes to get the HR expert to understand that Louisiana is not a community within the California city. 

Easy to confuse? 

Sure, but it makes a difference - especially when it seems there may be an interesting car in "LA", and it is really a couple of thousand miles away in "L.A."

Thanks for taking the time to note my Sunday morning rant as we prepare for a potentially major hurricane. At this time, Sally seems to be drawing a bead on New Orleans "LA".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

L.A.,

Not LA

It may seem a minor point, but to those of us in Louisiana (Postal Abbreviation "LA"), many who do not notice, realize, or maybe even care about the difference, use "LA" when "L.A." for the city/county of Los Angeles, California would be correct.

Just last week my son's Engineering license for his job as Stationary/Plant/Steam Boiler Chief Engineer was being researched by some off-shore Human Resources clerk in preparation for their take-over of the contract where he serves a major university.

He was informed that his degree was in question, as was the university where he supposedly earned it.

They could not find the school where he supposedly studied within " Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, as a part of the city of Los Angeles, California". It took him more than ten minutes to get the HR expert to understand that Louisiana is not a community within the California city. 

Easy to confuse? 

Sure, but it makes a difference - especially when it seems there may be an interesting car in "LA", and it is really a couple of thousand miles away in "L.A."

Thanks for taking the time to note my Sunday morning rant as we prepare for a potentially major hurricane. At this time, Sally seems to be drawing a bead on New Orleans "LA".

I copied it directly from the fb page. I should probably have spaced the letters out - L A. 

In the magazine I help with proofing of we try to not use unnecessary dots - as used in abbreviations e.g. becomes eg - A.B. Smith becomes AB Smith etc.

Best of luck with the weather. People on this part of the world wouldn't know decent storm if it hit them. We have a temperate climate where it rarely gets very hot or very cold. They do bitch about it - on the east coast where I am our weather is dominated by the winds off the sea - the nearest land in that direction is South America about 6,000 miles away. Everybody is looking forward to summer - and a return to Covid Level 1.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trimacar said:

As you know, Marty, I’ve been there done that on the hurricane, though not to the extent you have.....will be watching, hope it misses you...

Thanks, David,

Earlier projections had Sally passing right through our home on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

As of Monday morning, Sally, now a projected CAT 2 Hurricane with potential (Less likely, I think) to go to CAT 3 prior to landfall, is shifting eastward and would likely cause more severe impact to Mississippi's southeast coast, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle.

We still anticipate Four to Six (4 - 6 FT) feet of storm surge here on the south shore, but the wind will also be a serious concern with the neighbor's dead tree limbs overhanging our yard and patio cover. They were (finally) scheduled to be removed later this week, and hopefully do not come down as a result of Sally's winds.

• 2 weeks later...

WA-abbreviation for Washington State, but not if you live down under. During the early part of my postal career, spent some years sorting letters. I saw many unusual things, like many mail pieces addressed to Little Rock AK. There were no schemes then, or now, for things like this. If it reached a clerk who happened to know a bit of geography it would be properly handled otherwise.....