original asphaltic insulation source?

kgreen

I would use truck box liner, which can usually be mixed to the same consistency of the original asphaltic undercoating.  I prefer it as it will always keep its 'like new' jet black look, versus asphalt which picks up dust and dirt, and looks 'old' after a year or two.

Craig

Thanks Craig, I will be able to use readily available modern material in hidden locations, but I need to reline the bottom of my trunk lid.  This insulation is quite visible when the deck lid is open so I want to be as authentic as possible.

4 minutes ago, kgreen said:

but I need to reline the bottom of my trunk lid.  This insulation is quite visible when the deck lid is open so I want to be as authentic as possible.

Yes, on the underside of the trunklid, well away from direct exposure to any road dust and grime, etc., the original should still look good after several years. 

One my one car, the only place I'll leave original is the underside of the trunklid:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/47592-let-s-see-those-66s

Craig

What got my attention in your post, is the mention of a pressed in pattern that looks like an "expanded aluminum grate". I have been using a sound deadener made by 3M, part number 08840 that has such a pattern. Might be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

If you are doing a trunk like the one in your link I am curious how you would get it in there.

Jack:  See the January 2017 article that DePouli wrote for the Bugle, also linked above in the 4th post.

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Yes, on the underside of the trunklid, well away from direct exposure to any road dust and grime, etc., the original should still look good after several years. 

One my one car, the only place I'll leave original is the underside of the trunklid:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/47592-let-s-see-those-66s

Craig

The pattern on the bottom side of your deck lid is the same as that used by GM.  The stuff from Ford is a square checker pattern.

Not sure exactly what you are after, but I bought something like this a year ago from a company called California Pontiac Restoration.  Similar to this current listing on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAFFLED-UNIVERSAL-HOOD-DECK-LID-INSULATION-PAD-MATERIAL/303561440996?hash=item46adabfee4:g:--EAAMXQwKdRffJo

On 8/12/2020 at 11:51 AM, JACK M said:

If you are doing a trunk like the one in your link I am curious how you would get it in there.

I was told by a body man that he would need to take the trunk skin off of the trunk frame, apply the deadener/insulation mat to skin and weld it back together.

Also, you can find that patterened insulation or something that looks close above the headliner, fixed lightly to the roof, in 1949 Roadmasters.  Might look in a parts car but it may be crispy by now. I have it in mine but have not had a chance to compare closely to what's in the trunk.